Gransnet forums

Health

anyone else coping with SAD?

(79 Posts)
Ziggy62 Mon 12-Nov-18 13:03:48

I have coped with SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) since the early 80's (strangely the only year I had the flu jab). I have lots of gadgets to help including an alarm clock that wakes me gently with a soft light and a light box. I take extra vitamin D and try not to eat too much sugar or carbs. I also make myself go out for a 30minute walk each day. However this last week or 2 I feel SAD is winning and I'm losing the battle . I'm counting the days till Spring returns and sitting with back door open making the most of a fairly bright day

Just wondered if there are many other sufferers on here

jamtart27 Wed 14-Nov-18 10:21:42

I'm an opposite I love the short days and snuggling up in scarves and gloves to go out. The leaves blowing off in the wind and the spectacular autumn colours , casseroles and winter comfort food . Best of all not having to expose my bingo wings and covering my legs with woolly tights , the only downside is not having anything to do in the garden .

PECS Wed 14-Nov-18 10:29:18

So sorry that the winter season affects you so miserbly. It must be awful to feel so drained all the time.
I am OK ..and fortunately don't notice any difference for me.
No idea, but would having a specific task to do each day, over and above usual chores or activities, be any help in distracting you? flowers

4allweknow Wed 14-Nov-18 10:37:46

I too am one of those strange creatures that love the winter. Don't stop my activities just because it gets dark quicker. I loathe the time when it is light early and goes on forever. When the dark rolls in there are a few advantages, don't see the dirty windows, no weeds on the drive and lovely soups to be made. Perhaps you should see GP as there may be a bit more than SAD going on.

Grannycuddles Wed 14-Nov-18 10:38:34

Me too, I'm a sad sufferer... Literally! I use the alarm clock,vit d , anti depressants... Cant use the light box i have as i get ocular migraines triggered by light and it triggers them . granny70 - sad can be affected by any season, it doesn't have to be the winter... Maybe you've got summer sad. Xxx

Esspee Wed 14-Nov-18 11:00:15

It is the rain that does it to me. Don't mind cold or dark but when it's wet I get depressed. My OH is the same so we tend to just book a late departure holiday anywhere sunny to cheer us up.
I'm writing this on the hotel roof top terrace in perfect sunshine while dreading returning to gloom tomorrow.
I know not everyone can travel for health or financial reasons but you might be surprised at how little it does cost if you investigate.

Margs Wed 14-Nov-18 11:14:27

It's absolutely DIRE at this time of the year and I count off the days until 21/22 December - the shortest day. Within 72 hours of the passing of those two days I can feel myself moving into a better frame of mind, more optimistic mood, etc.

The mind is but a very strange country......

Rosina Wed 14-Nov-18 11:23:40

I read that you are supposed to love best the season in which you are born. Perhaps because I was born in the worst winter of living memory I find the nights drawing in, the smell of burning leaves, a glowing fire to sit by, and the warm looking lamps in windows a real pleasure. Today is lovely - the sky is blue here and the sun is out, but I can't truly say a grey day with sleet or drizzle inspires me much. Fortunately it doesn't make me feel down like other GN's. One thing about life is that nothing - good or bad - stays the same for long, so cheer up - what suits each of us rolls around eventually.

Nandalot Wed 14-Nov-18 11:54:57

Grannycuddles, I am the same and cannot use a light box becauuse it triggers migraines. Okay with the daylight alarm though.

sandelf Wed 14-Nov-18 12:02:33

Oh Ziggy - I know what you mean. I am (now) lucky to be living on the south coast so as much light as possible in UK. I am using a blue LED lamp for about 1/2 an hour each morning - it does seem to be making me more positive so might be worth a look (SAD light co). (Vitamin D etc too). The other thing is I'm being a lot more considered in what I agree to do and if I think something will wear me out or leave me sad - 'I am sorry but I'm already committed' smile - make sure you have happy music/art etc regularly. Are your window coverings very 'open' in the day etc. I look forward to the weekly Zumba too - wakes you up and makes you smile. And look past 'it' to the Spring.

Theoddbird Wed 14-Nov-18 12:02:51

Every post I have read here seems to accept that SAD will happen. By having that feeling you are mentally giving in to it without realizing it. Please do not wish time away. Celebrate when the sun shines. Look for things to smile about...there is plenty. By the way I have had it in the past. It stopped when I changed my attitude to darker winter days. The mind is amazing.... xxx

sarahellenwhitney Wed 14-Nov-18 13:15:00

I don't look forward to this time of year from when the clocks go back bringing in more hours of darkness than light. Then the inevitable xmas ads and how many more times are we to see the same old brought out of the archives films.Don't mention the weather. Is this all I have to complain of ? Do I have a roof over my head and warmth? yes. Do I have enough food? Yes . Do I have good health ? not as much as I would like but should I not count my blessings for what I do have that so many do not. After all what is five months out of twelve ?

vonnie49 Wed 14-Nov-18 13:53:15

Light box daily and Vit D do it for me. If I have the box on too long i.e over 45 mins I can actually find myself still awake at 11 pm!

sharon103 Wed 14-Nov-18 14:13:16

I love the dark nights, curtains closed, heating on,to me it's so cosy. I hate January and February though. After all the hype of Christmas I just feel sunk. There's always things in home that I could get on with but just can't be bothered. I call those two months, mucky months, wet, damp and mucky weather. I count the days to getting back on my garden. I hate June and July and the too hot weather. During those months I count the days to mid August when I know the nights are dropping in. Funny lot aren't we. HaHa.

inishowen Wed 14-Nov-18 14:29:04

We're going on a sunshine holiday to Tenerife next week. I realise not everyone can do this. I'd rather stay home in the summer and have a holiday in the winter.

Riverwalk Wed 14-Nov-18 15:13:18

Does anyone really 'suffer' from SAD?

I doubt if Rohingya grandmothers or those in Darfur suffer from changes in the season.

FFS get a grip!

Juliet27 Wed 14-Nov-18 16:42:09

Oh my goodness Cathy, I hope you are soon fully recovered from your heart attack!

garnet25 Wed 14-Nov-18 17:01:15

Ziggy62 Another sufferer here, I hate the dark nights and mornings, I can feel the depression setting in from the time the light goes.I'm retired so don't have an alarm clock but I do have a SAD lamp at my desk where I spend a fair bit of time. I also take vitamin D and during the wonderful summer my excuse for being outside all the time was that I was building up my vitamin D. The other this that works for me is exercise I have to force myself to go but both swimming and gentle running in the gym seem to help get me through the day.

Riverwalk I can assure you that SAD is very real your remarks are like being told as a child to eat ones dinner as there were children starving in Africa.

MagicBubble Wed 14-Nov-18 17:14:15

I understand that you need to take very large doses of both Vitamin D, Vitamin B12 and Omega-3 to avoid Seasonal Affective Depression

Here are some articles & links that may help:

www.is.gd/depression

vitaminduk.com/2015/01/24/depressed-and-sad/

www.is.gd/omega3fordepression

vitamindwiki.com/Depression

I recently found a high strength Vegan Omega-3 on Amazon:
www.is.gd/O3_Vegan

JanaNana Wed 14-Nov-18 18:16:51

One of the best things for SAD is a special lamp that you use for approx 60 - 90 minutes each morning. You don't have to sit immediately in front of it staring into it, but obviously near enough for it to make a difference. You can still read or watch TV while using it as long as it's in your line of vision. Make sure it's used early on in the day, as its effects can keep you awake at night if you use it later on in the day or longer than recommended.
My GP actually suggested getting one of these lamps. They actually energise you enough to do things like getting outside even on an overcast day, which gives some vitamin D and changes your mood. Unless you have experienced this yourself it is hard to understand it. It can come from nowhere, and wonder what's hit you. Also if you have a GPs diagnosis on this condition you do not have to pay VAT on these lamps. The one I have is approx 20 inches high and stands on the floor beside the TV. Not obtrusive at all when not in use. You can also buy these lights in the form of an alarm clock which comes on gradually in the morning, ideal for people who are still working but need the help of one of these lights.

harrysgran Wed 14-Nov-18 18:56:57

I think it might be true you love the season you are born in I was born in June and I love the summer days and nights the dark winter brings a lot of stress driving to and from work in the dark becomes more stressful and difficult with each year and the thought of driving in snow and ice feels me with dread

Pat1949 Wed 14-Nov-18 19:38:24

I love the Winter nights, but the love of them doesn't stop anyone from suffering from SAD, it goes a bit deeper than that. It's caused by low levels of serotonin and can be quite dibilitating to some, so shouldn't be taken lightly.

glammagran Wed 14-Nov-18 20:16:42

Riverwalk sunrise and sunset won’t vary that much in the countries you mentioned as they are far closer to the equator. And I’m another SAD sufferer.

Phoebes Wed 14-Nov-18 22:27:11

I was born in January and I go into hibernation mode in the winter!

Apricity Thu 15-Nov-18 01:30:14

Don't think the hypothesis about loving the season you were born in is true. I was born in southern Australia on a January summer day that was about 40 degrees Celsius and I just love winter. I love warm snuggly clothes like gloves and scarves, fires and winter food.

I've noticed when visiting family who live in Scandinavia that people there do go into a sort of human hibernation in the winter and people suffer from SAD as well. Scandinavians are very good at using candles and lights to make things look cosy and warm, all part of the "hygge" they are so famous for. Walking around a Scandinavian town in winter you see masses of candles and lights in the windows that are very pretty and cheering.

dinks13 Thu 15-Nov-18 08:15:33

Totally agree with you Sharon103. So nice to know that i’m Not on my own feeling like this. I know we are in the minority. Unfortunately i’m Starting to feel a bit depressed already as autumn is nearly over (my favourite season) & it won’t be long before it’s the shortest day & it will start (albeit) very slowly, to get lighter. Hate it. I was born in June so you would think i would like the warmer months.