Gransnet forums

Health

anyone else coping with SAD?

(79 Posts)
Ziggy62 Mon 12-Nov-18 13:03:48

I have coped with SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) since the early 80's (strangely the only year I had the flu jab). I have lots of gadgets to help including an alarm clock that wakes me gently with a soft light and a light box. I take extra vitamin D and try not to eat too much sugar or carbs. I also make myself go out for a 30minute walk each day. However this last week or 2 I feel SAD is winning and I'm losing the battle . I'm counting the days till Spring returns and sitting with back door open making the most of a fairly bright day

Just wondered if there are many other sufferers on here

oldbatty Thu 29-Nov-18 10:00:58

Does anybody else have " symptoms" of feeling befuddled, confused, losing things?

Karanlouise Thu 29-Nov-18 13:17:49

Not confused as such "Oldbatty* but it does take me longer to really wake up in the mornings this winter and I feel a bit like sleep walking for the first hour. Also I often walk into rooms and then can't remember what I went in there for and put things back in the wrong place, like putting the milk in the saucepan cupboard rather than the fridge. smile

Emmaline Tue 18-Dec-18 17:14:23

I have often wondered about how affective a light box is as I suffer from SAD especially at this time of the year.
I find that if I keep most of my lights on it helps plus looking out at whatever there is to look at helps too.

The feeling of wanting to shut oneself away is not the best thing to do .. looking at scenery no matter what it is exercises the eyes and therefore the brain so never underestimate the value of just looking anywhere and/or at anything.