Gransnet forums

Health

An Attitude of Gratitude & Depression

(131 Posts)
Sparklefizz Tue 20-Nov-18 08:56:43

Can being thankful, and actually saying "Thank you" help to ease depression? I suppose it's what our grandparents used to say: "Count your blessings". I personally think it works.

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6407319/How-saying-thank-help-ease-depression.html

Luckygirl Fri 23-Nov-18 17:15:31

I don't think it is really that anti-Ds are addictive; it is simply that when it is the right time to stop them it needs to be done gradually and with care.

MissAdventure Fri 23-Nov-18 17:19:54

Yes, that's it, I'm sure.
I just find it offputting that each thread ends up with dire warnings about how addictive they are, how dangerous it is to stop.
I feel it just adds to the 'sort of' stigma which still lingers.
Or, maybe I'm over sensitive.

notanan2 Fri 23-Nov-18 17:28:15

Some of the people who suffer from the most severe forms of mental illness are the smiliest most outwardly "positive" and popular people you will ever meet. The implication that depression and loneliness are disorders resulting from not being social enough is damaging and false.

Total b*llocks to imply that making yourself more busy and outwardly displaying a postitive facade will make you feel better on the inside, often it just makes people feel more disconnected.

You can be popular & lonely.
Smiling on the outside and crying inside
Desperately lonely in a crowd.

Robin Williams etc..

oldbatty Fri 23-Nov-18 18:02:22

well said notonan. Busy busy.......doesn't work, it just leads to more emptiness.

Nonnie Sat 24-Nov-18 11:15:38

You are so right notanan. When you force yourself to go out and pretend you are fine it just makes you feel worse when you get back to your safe place. Many of us want to please the people around us and make them feel good so telling them how we feel is just not going to happen.