Gransnet forums

Health

Vitamin D deficiency

(32 Posts)
Jacksgrandma123 Wed 23-Jan-19 12:31:07

Hi! I have just been diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency after having some odd symptoms. I have been given a prescription and have also foolishly looked online! Having now frightened myself after reading about side effects , I wonder if anyone could please reassure me in regards to their own experience of this problem?

Greenfinch Wed 23-Jan-19 13:33:30

I am not sure what you had a prescription for but I had this deficiency many years ago. I was given a massive dose of the vitamin and now just take ordinary supplements. I didn't expect to have any side effects and didn't notice any just a massive improvement in my symptoms.

Anja Wed 23-Jan-19 14:02:27

Jus keep taking the pills!

Happychops Wed 23-Jan-19 19:59:02

I was diagnosed with this and it was partly because I put sunscreen on 30 minutes before going outdoors. I never sat in the sun and wore a hat. I was advised to have 10 minutes in the sun prior to putting sun screen on.I took vitamin D tablets at the highest dose for a while,they worked very well, and the doctor was really impressed with my follow up test results. Good luck with this

Iam64 Wed 23-Jan-19 20:04:00

take the tablets! the side effects have to be listed but I'll be surprised if you have any. I'm in the north west where the majority of the population are Vit D deprived if tested in Jan or Feb.

paddyann Wed 23-Jan-19 20:18:06

My gynacologist tells me everyone in Britain needs VIT D ,he's from Greece.He also says women over 50 should be taking Vit b12 supplements .I got a spray and I do feel more energy since I started using it

luluaugust Wed 23-Jan-19 20:18:07

I take calcium and Vitamin D, never noticed any side effects, I think you will find you feel much better, give it a go.

SueDonim Wed 23-Jan-19 21:00:50

I've been been taking calcium and Vit D tablets for almost five years and I've not noticed any side effects.

Iam64 Wed 23-Jan-19 21:08:09

Paddynan, does your gyneocoligist masquerade as my rheumatologist? She is English of Indian heritage tho, not Greek- but she says the same as yours, we all need To take Vit D supplements in northern England and all points north because we don’t get enough sun

MargaretX Wed 23-Jan-19 21:16:29

Don't forget that people in the North of Europe with pale skins absorb more Vit D from the sun which is why we managed to live there in the first place.

I was at a dermatolgist and asked her about it and she said forget the Vit D pills its just fashionable at the moment.

Jalima1108 Wed 23-Jan-19 21:28:38

Yes, when our ancestors first arrived from Africa they were dark-skinned but we gradually evolved with paler skins which absorb more Vitamin D.

However, with all the concerns about skin cancer, people are afraid to expose their skin to the sun so can lack vitamin D and more particularly the further north you live. Rickets has been seen again in recent years.
Doctors will prescribe it in tablet form.

Jalima1108 Wed 23-Jan-19 21:30:28

paddyann what is the spray you mention - is it prescription only?

AngelColvin Thu 31-Jan-19 11:12:57

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

paddyann Thu 31-Jan-19 11:49:06

Jalima its vegavero B12 spray from Amazon ,one pump sprayed every morning on the tongue .The man says spray or patches work better than pills .

TerriBull Thu 31-Jan-19 14:14:52

I was diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency a while ago, my GP told me to get some from the pharmacist where I get my prescriptions made up, she didn't give me one for this. I just buy Health Aid tablets as recommended by the pharmacy. I've never noticed any side effects.

I hope you get sorted with something that suits you OP.

dragonfly46 Thu 31-Jan-19 14:17:55

I take it and have no side effects.

Jalima1108 Thu 31-Jan-19 14:38:27

Thanks paddyann

Jacksgrandma123 Fri 22-Feb-19 15:01:06

Thank you for all your comments and support. I am fairly new to gransnet and didn't select to watch the thread so I thought no one had answered! I am now five weeks in on megadose of vitamin d. Have had a few bad tums, I am on liquid , so don't know if that's why? Am eating egg every day as friend said the K2 helps to direct the calcium in bloodstream away from soft tissue. I am beginning to feel much better and am regaining strength when exercising. Thank you!

bikergran Fri 22-Feb-19 15:17:46

Wow! what a coincidence! but last night I searched GN for old threads about Vit D.

Just put vitamin D in search and it will bring the thread up its interesting.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Feb-19 18:31:33

Am eating egg every day as friend said the K2 helps to direct the calcium in bloodstream away from soft tissue.
That is very interesting Jacksgrandma

Elegran Fri 22-Feb-19 19:03:23

The Synergistic Interplay between Vitamins D and K for Bone and Cardiovascular Health: A Narrative Review

farview Mon 11-Mar-19 14:22:37

..just now had phone call from my GP.had numerous blood tests and vitamin D very low..been prescribed some capsules,two a day,once a week for seven weeks...also hope no side effects...I react to so many things....but hope that I do start to feel better..SOON!!

NanKate Mon 11-Mar-19 14:53:30

I take large doses of Vit D each day as I am on steroids and have no side effects. ?

farview Mon 11-Mar-19 15:50:31

Thank you NanKate ?

Nelliemoser Mon 11-Mar-19 16:03:06

I have been banging on here about getting your vitamin D in the darker months.
I am still struggling to get my laptop to work on my tablet, so If the air goes blue. in the next few minutes you will know why.