Gransnet forums

Health

How well do you sleep? Q&A with Dr Rangan Chatterjee

(61 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 12-Feb-19 11:39:39

Dr Rangan Chatterjee believes we are living in a stress epidemic and it is affecting, amongst other things, our sleep. We've invited him to take part in a Q&A on Gransnet so that you can ask him for tips on feeling healthier, happier, less stressed and more rested - think we can all do with a bit of that!

He is one of the most influential doctors in the UK and is changing the way that we look at illness. He is known for taking a 360 degree approach to health, which was highlighted in his ground-breaking BBC TV show, Doctor in the House, and in his first book The 4 Pillar Plan. He is the resident doctor on BBC One's Breakfast, a regular commentator on BBC Radio and hosts his own chart-topping podcast, Feel Better Live More.

We have two copies of his new book to give away to randomly selected posters on this thread.

Winter18 Sun 17-Feb-19 18:26:33

My partner and I have been together for 14 years and he says he’s never know me to have had a good nights sleep, I go to bed feeling tired , then get something on my mind and then I’m wide awake, eventually getting few broken sleeps and wake up feeling tired

Lollin Sun 17-Feb-19 18:29:39

I have started taking various supplements, various vitamins, plus eaten certain foods or drunk certain drinks, for one ailment or ache etc etc, on and off for so many years i have ended up wondering if the combination has been the problem never mind the expense! I have also wondered if because i have had to stop one supplement etc because of taking something else for another problem, i am loathed to start yet another supplement/food/drink to try and alter my sleep.

Also when it's not possible, for the sake of others, to simply get up and do something what do you do?!

RosemaryAnne Sun 17-Feb-19 19:11:59

Hi Dr Chatterjee, I have two problems. A long standing one of waking up frequently through the night, often with a headache (which I didn't go to bed with). .I know I have arthritis in my neck so am assuming that is probably a major factor. Every 4 weeks I see a Chiropractor and it is usually a bit better after that, the headaches that is, not sleeping better. I am constantly trying out new pillows to see if this will help.

Lately I have been having very high blood pressure. I had to keep a detailed chart for one week and went back to the surgery on Friday. I also had an ECG (all fine) and different blood tests done. Waiting for the results of those still. The bad sleeping started immediately after having a hysterectomy 30 years ago. At the time I mentioned it to my GP who said it was the result of the anaesthetic. Maybe at first, but not thirty years after. Any ideas please?

GabriellaG54 Mon 18-Feb-19 01:43:58

I have always always been in love with sleeping, day or night. If the opportunity is there, I will sleep, even forgoing meals.
I lead an active life, not on any medication or supplements and no stresses, emotional or financial.
The thing is that I had a pillow spray in a gift box last Christmas and, although a dyed in the wool sceptic, so used it.
Unbelievably, I slept deeply for just over 9 hours but woke having had the most violent dream which took hours to forget.
That occured on the three following nights until I decided not to use it again.
Why would this be?
My routine was otherwise as normal and I neither smoke nor drink alcohol.
The act of falling asleep was wonderful, indeed, I had a deep sense of relaxation and wellbeing.

Valbeasixties Mon 18-Feb-19 05:54:46

I have had unusual sleep patterns for many years. I fall asleep easily - in front of the TV, at the cinema and when I go to bed - but wake with a nervous feeling at 3am. I try to use mindfulness to keep myself in bed, usually only dozing, until about 5 am. I like the early morning hours though as I am at my best mentally and write or do other computer based activities. I have tried many natural products and followed the online programme 'Sleepio' but the results are short lived as I always seem to come back to the same pattern. Do we have our own natural sleep patterns? The most reassuring thing for me is that so many of us have responded to this.

Telly Mon 18-Feb-19 14:07:41

I had an operation 18 years ago and have not slept through the night since. I have no problem falling asleep, after reading for 10 minutes, but wake after a couple of hours. I can be awake for a couple of hours, sometimes more, and then fall asleep until 6 or 7 am. It is dark and quiet in the bedroom, no TV or devices. I have been to the GP who reluctantly prescribed 7 sleeping tablet and that's it. I am in my mid 60s and have generally good health, walk an hour a day and active.

Fifirouge54 Wed 20-Feb-19 07:59:33

I fall asleep easily with deep breathing, but like other posters wake suddenly with a feeling of panic, often accompanied by a hot flush (no longer have them in the day and am post menopausal.) This happens several times a night. I also clench my teeth so wake up very tense. I was prescribed anti-depressants for menopausal symptoms and had a bad reaction to them. They made my insomnia and anxiety worse. I understand withdrawal from them can last a long time.

shysal Fri 12-Apr-19 09:11:59

Are we ever going to get any answers from Dr Chatterjee?

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 12-Apr-19 09:19:08

Hi shysal,

We have sent the questions but haven't had the answers back yet. We are chasing them up and as soon as we have them we will post them - sorry about the delay! smile

shysal Fri 12-Apr-19 15:58:31

Thank you Natasha. Sorry if I sounded rude, I didn't intend to. smile