Gransnet forums

Health

Are bisphosphonates making me unwell?

(47 Posts)
humptydumpty Wed 24-Apr-19 15:45:44

I started a course of 1 tab per week of Alendronate last week - no probs then, and took my 2nd on Monday. But last night woke at 4 in the morning with my stomach churning, not sure if I wanted to be sick or use the loo, stayed still and eventually it went. Still, have been feeling nauseous all day. Don't think it was anything I ate. Could it be the Alendronate, even though I took it on Monday and swallowedlots of water with it? Any experience, ladies?

Annaram1 Sat 04-May-19 11:30:16

I had to give up Alendronic acid after just a few weeks as it made me feel very unwell. I still take Adcal though and it is very good. AA may suit some people but not everyone.

Willynilly Sat 04-May-19 11:42:13

Thank you for all the info folks. I'll look into K2. I'm continuing to take my prescribed calcium supplements and I'm definitely going to see my GP (no appointments available yet and they're up to beginning of June) and see where we go from here. Good luck one and all with this damned illness. thanks

HannahLoisLuke Sat 04-May-19 11:42:36

Yes Trisher, it is important to make sure vitD and calcium are adequate, in fact I had a blood test a couple of weeks before the infusion was due and my vitD levels were too low so infusion was delayed while I went on a seven week high dose course of VitD. I make sure now that I keep up with the supplements, my next infusion is due in July and I don't want it delayed again. I also take Vit K2 as it helps the body to absorb the VitD and calcium more efficiently.
I also do Tai Chi, go for walks, use a treadmill and do a bit of weight lifting with small 2.5 kg weights. I'm trying all avenues!

BlueSapphire Sat 04-May-19 11:58:15

I take Alendronic Acid once a week and have done since a broken shoulder in 2011. Fingers crossed I have had no side effects, but I hate taking it as it means I have to wait at least half an hour longer for my first cup of tea of the day! I also take something similar to Ad-cal. The best thing would be to report your side effects to your doctor.

Sparklefizz Sat 04-May-19 14:05:32

Calcium and Vitamin D are not enough. There are other minerals necessary for proper absorption. I have reduced my osteoporosis to osteopenia by refusing drugs and researching what supplements are necessary. Dr Marylin Glenville has written a very good book on the subject which I found helpful. Below is a list of supplements which are useful. I am taking all of them, although not from this supplier.

www.healthline.com/health/managing-osteoporosis/supplements-and-vitamins-you-should-consider#1

Llamedos13 Sat 04-May-19 14:21:18

Have any of you who are on this medication noticed that the urine has a particularly strong odour?

GabriellaG54 Sat 04-May-19 14:41:43

Why not ring 111 or ring your doctor?
I'm sure they are more qualified to give you advice than we are.

missdeke Sat 04-May-19 15:23:43

After breast cancer I was supposed to take letrazole or the alternatives and Alendronate, but I found the side effects absolutely horrendous, so with the approval of my oncologist I am taking nothing but vitamin D tablets. I have severe osteoporosis in my spine at high risk of fracture but I just can't take Alendronate at all.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 04-May-19 15:46:27

If the problem continues go back to your doctor and discuss it with him/her. Ask about other forms of treatment and say frankly that you are wondering whether the remedy isn't worse than the disease!

Sparklefizz Sat 04-May-19 15:55:32

missdeke Check out the alternatives I mention above. I have had breast cancer too, and the drugs prescribed for that gave me osteoporosis, as they probably did for you.

Chino Sat 04-May-19 17:06:36

I have polymyalgia and have to take steroid tablets plus 2 tablets of Adcal each day plus a weekly Alendronic tablet which fortunately has not caused any side effects- however am currently recovering from a broken wrist so am not sure if the steroids have caused a problem
It seems to me that tablets which are taken to prevent a problem often cause another one

humptydumpty Sat 04-May-19 17:53:44

Many thanks for all your helpful comments. In the evnt a nurse from the osteoporosis rang me to see how things were going so I told her about the stomach discomfort, she suggested I leave it for another week and see my GP if the problem continued, but it subsided shortly after that.

So I continued with the next week's tablet and have been fine, except BlueSapphire I'm with you, I resent not being able to have my early morning cuppa!

Barmeyoldbat Sat 04-May-19 19:08:12

Great post this and just in time for my visit to the Dr on Wednesday. I am on the acid by tablet form and I think the problems I have been having for some time now are due to them so will ask if I can have something else. Thanks so much for the info.

BlueSapphire Sat 04-May-19 21:05:41

Llamedos13 funny you should mention that , but yes, it does smell stronger!

JanaNana Sat 04-May-19 21:32:03

I have a Zoledronic acid infusion every six months and Adcal chewable vitD/ calcium twice a day. The first time I had it I was told I may get flu like symptoms for up to a week afterwards, which I did, but with each infusion the side effects get less and less. I read about the effects of taking the tablets on all the info the hospital gave me and I asked a lot of questions beforehand. Prior to this I was having cancer treatment, so not sure if this was the reason they preferred me to have infusions instead. Reading the side effects some of you have been having from the tablets the side effects sound much more uncomfortable than the infusions.

mcem Sat 04-May-19 21:45:51

Glad I'm not alone in hating that half-hour!
I don't want a large glass of water first thing in the morning.
I do want my cup of tea as soon as I wake.
Wouldn't mind if I could snuggle down and listen to the radio while waiting but must stay upright.
Hated those tablets with an irrational passion!

Did ask about the infusions but they are reserved for those who really can't cope with tablets. I understand that and would never seriously object.
Illogical, I know but after years of taking the blasted things, I was so pleased to stop and the prospect of starting again is really getting to me!

I fully understand that I am fortunate that it's not a condition that's life-threatening or difficult to manage and I know I will just get on with it, but I just want to grumble to those of you who understand.
Thank you! Deep breath now and pour a gin n tonic!!!

SueDonim Sat 04-May-19 22:04:35

Yes, that 30 minutes seems to last forever! I usually take mine on a Sunday, my reasoning being it's generally a quieter day and I can afford the 'time out'.

It's not just that 30 mins, though. I like two cups of coffee for my breakfast so between those and the large glass of water, the loo is more often engaged than vacant for the next couple of hours on Sundays! grin

missdeke Sat 04-May-19 22:28:41

Sparklefizz I'll certainly give that some thought, The osteoporosis started a long while ago though, I also have degenerative spondylolisthesis in the same part of the spine. Calcium supplements make me sick so can't take them as I am not absorbing any nutrients at all then. But the other nutrients in the article will be worth considering. Thank you.

Sparklefizz Sun 05-May-19 08:41:01

Calcium Carbonate is not the best form of calcium to be taking because basically it is chalk and is not absorbed well by the body. It's cheap but you get what you pay for.

Others forms of Calcium are better - wholefood calcium or Calcium Citrate, but usually the Calcium prescribed on the NHS is the cheapest which is Carbonate. Calcium Citrate is also better absorbed by the body because it doesn't need as much stomach acid which - as we get older - is often lower than it used to be.

Even if you are also taking Vit D3, you need to take Magnesium, Boron and Vit K2 to notice improvement/prevent worsening.

These are not available on prescription so it means buying them, and although they are not madly expensive, it is still a financial outlay. However, to me my health is paramount. I have 8 illnesses I am trying to juggle and Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis are 2 of them.

If I can keep myself pain-free, free of fractures and not bent over and crooked like some of my acquaintances, then the money is worth it. I am not someone who has more than 3 handbags, dozens of pairs of shoes or is for ever buying new clothes and expensive makeup. If you haven't got your health, what's the point?

I saw what Osteoporosis did to a friend of mine who became very bent and in terrible pain, had frequent fractures from the slightest thing (like stretching to get something off a top shelf) and was doped up on drugs and painkillers. This is not what I want for myself.

As I said on another thread, I have studied nutrition for 29 years which I put to good use with my own health.

If anyone wants to PM me, I can give the brand name of the Calcium and Magnesium supplements I use.

Willynilly Sun 05-May-19 10:38:02

Thanks Sparklefizz, very helpful.

Jane43 Sun 05-May-19 12:28:19

Yes thank you Sparklefizz, useful information.