Gransnet forums

Health

I feel worse now.

(93 Posts)
morethan2 Thu 25-Apr-19 17:18:22

I’m a big listener of radio 4 while I’m doing housework. I’ve just listened on catch-up an interview with Clarke Carlisle (who I’ve never heard of) talk about depression and his attempted suicide. It was really interesting and he mentioned something called the Goldberg depression test Out of interest I googled it and up popped a questionnaire. So I did it, I answered the questions truthfully. I thought my answers were fairly positive so thought I’d get a your reasonably ok result, but no the result was Your moderately to severely depressed. I’m really shocked. I don’t really feel depressed or rather I didn’t before I took the test now I want to cry! I wonder if anyone of you fancy taking the test and sharing your result and how you feel about it. Ps I also bought the children’s dvd mentioned in the radio so maybe I’m just gullible.

Day6 Sun 28-Apr-19 14:03:33

It may be that the test is confusing our "I can't be bothered, I'll do it later"days as a depressed state.

In my case I most certainly find my Spanish mañana gene is running riot now I have retired. I am another who finds it easy to put things off without any conscience.

I have suffered with circumstantial depression and it, like other forms, responds to treatment and the passing of time.

NfkDumpling Sun 28-Apr-19 08:54:23

Minor to moderate depression. Well I never did. All these years and I never knew and thought I was quite mentally healthy!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 28-Apr-19 08:32:53

I think you know if you're depressed without the need for a test result. If you were feeling very down you wouldn't be taking the test to find out, surely? You'd be too down in the dumps to ask the question, I'd feel.
Try not to let it get you down and remember there's loads of support here, especially in the Black Dog thread.

Oldandverygrey Sun 28-Apr-19 07:10:13

So true mumofmadboys so true and I speak from personal experience.

mumofmadboys Sun 28-Apr-19 07:07:00

'Nothing on earth could or would make me depressed' GG said.
Unfortunately this is not true. Maybe you are unlikely to get depressed but no-one is totally immune from the mental illness of depression. It can happen to any of us.

notanan2 Sun 28-Apr-19 02:42:42

I may be wrong but a large cash injection would make a lot of it go away, in my case!

Some.
It would take away a lot of the pressures that are getting in the way of relaxation etc

Grandma2213 Sun 28-Apr-19 02:16:16

I got severely depressed too and no wonder, with what I am going through and what I have gone through. Things can flip the other way in a moment though eg a beautiful sunset, cuddles with my new grandson, a few hours to myself. I always thought it can't be real clinical depression unless everything is fine and you still feel that way. I do know that this is real through friends that have suffered.

I may be wrong but a large cash injection would make a lot of it go away, in my case! I'll let you know if it ever happens. (Don't hold your breath)

notanan2 Sun 28-Apr-19 01:31:43

I got severely depressed.

I dont think I am. I have a lot of practical and work stresses at the moment so for example the question about not enjoying things you used to, well I can't enjoy my hobbies much at the moment because right now hobbies would just feel like another thing to do while I am already rammed with things to do..

But Im sure that when my life settles down I will get back to enjoying those things

So the questions dont always stand alone out of context

Labaik Sun 28-Apr-19 00:12:24

Moderate to severe, too.

morethan2 Sat 27-Apr-19 23:49:30

Bagatelle grin

Bagatelle Sat 27-Apr-19 23:06:29

I'm almost pleased to get a 'moderately to severely depressed'. At least it's better than dementia.

Gonegirl Sat 27-Apr-19 21:22:27

Thank you morethan2. flowers

allule Sat 27-Apr-19 17:52:58

Questions like...doing things slowly....finding things difficult....Got a Yes for physical reasons rather than depression.

llizzie2 Fri 26-Apr-19 23:01:45

I haven't heard of this one, but I consider them all to be daft and unrealistic. They are not only a waste of time and just there for some researchers to use in their exams etc., but as you have discovered they can make your health worse. There is absolutely no way that an online questionnaire can diagnose a mental illness like depression. Also, it is easier for someone to say you are depressed than to think of other reasons for your moods.

About 10 years ago there were lots of dating sites and out of curiosity I started filling one in. I did not want to join them, I just wanted to see what they wanted to know. Pages and pages of questions, the answers to which I made up and made myself thoroughly the last person anyone would want to meet, which was successful in that they could not find a single person in the area I chose that would match, yet they kept asking me to join saying there were lots of matches. Well that may have been, and perhaps the way they worked you had to shell out first.

NannyMags Fri 26-Apr-19 18:41:45

I got You are minor to moderately depressed. I have some health worries currently but I wouldn't class myself as depressed in any way.

morethan2 Fri 26-Apr-19 18:18:00

I hope you feel a bit brighter soon Gonegirl I’ve two episodes of a reactive depression so I know how it feels to struggle through what feels like dark,bleak, pointless days. I stopped being so shocked about the result now. I can get up in the mornings I still see the little joys in everyday things. I’ve always lacked a bit of motivation( I’m a bit on the ‘Do it later” side) I’m often sad and feel overwhelmed by events or crises with my DiL and injured son but I think that’s perfectly normal. Thanks everyone for the feedback and I’m grateful for those of you brave enough to share your experiences of anxiety and depression. I hope you all feel better soon

NotSpaghetti Fri 26-Apr-19 17:56:52

I too scored "0" but felt the questions were poor...

Lily65 Fri 26-Apr-19 17:55:57

A person does not always know they are depressed, that's the whole point. It creeps up on you and due to shame around mental health problems you deny it.

Disneyfan Fri 26-Apr-19 17:48:36

I got 0% but questions were quite leading.

sharon103 Fri 26-Apr-19 17:18:43

Gonegirl. I know what you mean. Hope you improve very soon. flowers

Gonegirl Fri 26-Apr-19 16:06:27

Thank you CrazyGrandma2.

cupcake1 Fri 26-Apr-19 16:04:48

11% so depression not likely! However being a born pessimist who knows what’s around the corner hmm

Marianne1953 Fri 26-Apr-19 16:03:20

Possibly mildly depressed . I don’t think I will lose any sleep over it

Lily65 Fri 26-Apr-19 15:28:51

A GP does not declare somebody who is bit fed up and miserable as suffering from depression.

Thats because the GP has spent years training and knows how to ask the correct questions/observe the person's demeanor /possibly perform some tests.

Depression is a serious and growing problem and nothing at all to do with " feeling a bit miserable.

Anniel Fri 26-Apr-19 15:03:18

I am possibly mildly depressed but I do think as we age it is more likely. I am in my mid 80s and have been widowed for 10 years a state I do not enjoy. I think being alone affects me most, but I get plenty of phone email contact with my children. I do think I should push myself more to go out but friends are in short supply. I can lie on my bed with radio on , iPad in hand and sun streaming in and do not want to go out? Are there others like me?