Gransnet forums

Health

I feel worse now.

(92 Posts)
morethan2 Thu 25-Apr-19 17:18:22

I’m a big listener of radio 4 while I’m doing housework. I’ve just listened on catch-up an interview with Clarke Carlisle (who I’ve never heard of) talk about depression and his attempted suicide. It was really interesting and he mentioned something called the Goldberg depression test Out of interest I googled it and up popped a questionnaire. So I did it, I answered the questions truthfully. I thought my answers were fairly positive so thought I’d get a your reasonably ok result, but no the result was Your moderately to severely depressed. I’m really shocked. I don’t really feel depressed or rather I didn’t before I took the test now I want to cry! I wonder if anyone of you fancy taking the test and sharing your result and how you feel about it. Ps I also bought the children’s dvd mentioned in the radio so maybe I’m just gullible.

Anniebach Thu 25-Apr-19 17:29:03

I too am moderately to severely depressed.

No, just fed up with men who promise ‘ I will be there tomorrow ‘ and don’t turn up,

Gonegirl Thu 25-Apr-19 17:29:48

That Goldberg test has been around for a long time. There are other similar ones dotted about the internet. Odd though that you got a result that you feel is right. They are usually pretty reliable.

Oldandverygrey Thu 25-Apr-19 17:32:03

morethan2 just taken the Goldberg depression test and scored 22% apparently am mild to moderately depressed. Oh well you learn something new every day (tongue in cheek!)

Gonegirl Thu 25-Apr-19 17:33:13

Should have said that you feel is not right...

Gonegirl Thu 25-Apr-19 17:34:14

the test

KatyK Thu 25-Apr-19 17:36:13

I wouldn't take any notice of these tests. A person knows whether they are depressed or not.

Anniebach Thu 25-Apr-19 17:37:30

True Katy

Gonegirl Thu 25-Apr-19 17:38:10

I got moderate to severe depression. Sigh.

Charleygirl5 Thu 25-Apr-19 17:39:14

My score was 0% and apparently I am not depressed.

Gonegirl Thu 25-Apr-19 17:40:52

Oh lucky old you Charleygirl! hmm wink

Beechnut Thu 25-Apr-19 17:41:56

7 no depression likely.

kittylester Thu 25-Apr-19 17:42:02

Clarke Carlisle was a black professional footballer.

He did loads of work for the 'Kick it Out' campaign and his depression has been well documented. He has always struck me as a gentle, thoughtful man.

I'm sorry you feel worse morethan, try to ignore the test results, you feel what you feel.

JenniferEccles Thu 25-Apr-19 17:43:54

I guess it's like someone going to their GP to say they've been feeling miserable and unhappy (which of course is part of the human condition at times and perfectly normal) only for the GP to declare that they have depression.

Immediately that person is going to feel ten times worse aren't they? They have a diagnosis - they are 'depressed' so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Stay away from those tests is my advice.

Greenfinch Thu 25-Apr-19 17:47:30

I scored 33.Mild to moderate depression. Oh dear!
I found some of thecquestions almost impossible to answer.
Needed a " don't know" button.

TwiceAsNice Thu 25-Apr-19 17:58:53

Did the test depression unlikely but I knew that already. I only put slightly for sleep and tiredness and not at all for everything else. I noticed as part of it online it linked to therapy adverts. Be careful only contact therapists from professional sites. If you think you may be depressed please see your GP

FlexibleFriend Thu 25-Apr-19 18:02:51

I took it because you asked I know I'm not depressed.
Result 0% Depression unlikely.

aggie Thu 25-Apr-19 18:03:20

I also scored 0% but I think the test is geared to persuading you to answer some things in such a way as to make you feel a bit fed up

BlueBelle Thu 25-Apr-19 18:07:56

I got moderate to severe but I m definitely not depressed I can get low and sometimes fed up but depressed I am not so don’t worry Morethan there seems quite a band of us
For instance the question about weight loss or gain can be anything, sleep patterns change as you get older, I have trouble concentrating on reading because my eyes are worn blooming out, not because I m depressed
Forget it

BlueBelle Thu 25-Apr-19 18:08:44

They want you to come up as depressed then you might spend money going to a therapist

loopyloo Thu 25-Apr-19 18:37:20

Bluebell I suspect you are right.

Septimia Thu 25-Apr-19 18:42:00

Another with a 0% score - but the answers are far too limiting and often irrelevant. We can all feel down sometimes, some of us more than others, and I know from experience with family members that depression is not easy to cope with.
I count myself fortunate that I tend to think that 'tomorrow is another day - and it could be better than today'.
Perhaps the most important thing is being able to appreciate good things at least some of the time.

DanniRae Fri 26-Apr-19 07:56:20

It would depend on what time of day I took it I suspect. I always feel worse first thing in the morning and late at night. Mid afternoon is my best time........cup of tea, feet up and something good on the tv or something to read. Aaah.....I am content!!
Not going to do the test BTW just in case I get a bad result!

GrandmainOz Fri 26-Apr-19 08:09:20

I think tests like this should only be done if you're asked to when under the care of a doctor or qualified therapist. It's a bit risky to attempt self diagnosis of mental or physical health via the internet on your own.
It's easy to get yourself all upset.
The only time I've done these questionnaire type thingammies for depression and anxiety has been in my GP's room at his behest before I was referred to a proper psychiatrist.
I think if I had done it on my own at home I would've been very shaken. And I was actually expecting a poor result!!

GrandmainOz Fri 26-Apr-19 08:13:40

Also a qualified person can interpret the results taking into account factors like your age, other health issues etc which may mean your "score" doesn't indicate for you what it might for someone else. An online test makes no allowance for our unique circumstances as a doctor chatting and asking questions could do.