Gransnet forums

Health

Blepharitis and dry eye syndrome

(32 Posts)
hugshelp Fri 03-May-19 20:40:13

Anyone had this and got any advice please? I've got the wipes, drops and heated eye mask and am doing the lid massage, cleaning etc but it doesn't seem to be helping so far It's very uncomfortable.

Tigertooth Sat 29-Jun-19 09:16:24

Hi
Just wondering if my drops have preservatives? What are they listed as? My go just prescribed drops, she didn’t mention the possible link to other health conditions - what should I be looking into?
Only had this for six months or so - it’s horrible.

Dancing Thu 04-Jul-19 22:42:30

Hi Shipoo, I was very interested in your comment as I have been suffering with sore itchy eyes that I think may be due to rosacea. I just tried the Vick’s vapour rub, very carefully along the edge of the lids and it certainly seems to have eased the soreness, so thank you.

Curlywhirly Thu 04-Jul-19 22:58:34

I was being treated for dry eye for over 2 years, tears would run down my cheek constantly, finally, after several eye infections (due to me constantly dabbing the tears) and numerous bottles of eye drops, I was referred to an opthalmic consultant. After carrying out tests, I found out I was actually suffering from a blocked tear duct! I had an operation to unblock the duct and thankfully the eye is now fine.

Lewie Sun 14-Jul-19 09:04:44

I too suffer from dry eye which strangely leads to constantly watering eyes when it’s cold or windy. It’s a real pain when you’re trying to play golf. Like looking at the golf ball through a fish bowl! My instant go-to is HycoSan Extra. Makes my eyes feel ‘normal’ first thing in the morning.

DanniRae Sun 14-Jul-19 09:23:03

I too find HyconSan Extra (red box) very good. They contain no perservatives and last 6 months after opening. They are £12 in Boots......expensive but worth it.

Patsy70 Wed 17-Jul-19 22:24:18

I was told today by the consultant at the eye clinic that I have Blepharitis, an inflammatory condition of the eyelids where the glands are blocked. He recommended using a hot compress for five minutes on each closed eye, and massaging. Following cataract surgery on my left eye a year ago I have also been prescribed Hylo-Forte for dry eyes and Lumigan for high pressure. If my itchy eyes don't get any better I will try Smiley4's recommendation of Lagad Lacrima, or failing that I'll call JohnRNIB's helpline.