Gransnet forums

Health

Chalazion

(33 Posts)
Pollyanna2 Fri 14-Jun-19 10:18:01

Has anyone had a chalazion removed from your eyelid? What was your experience like? I have a little white lump on my eyelid that apparently is a chalazion - have been applying hot compresses etc for weeks, but it's not budging. It's been there for months. Even though it's small and painless it bothers me and I'm thinking of having it removed, although the thought of having a local anaesthetic injected into my eyelidmakes me cringe ?

Bordersgirl57 Fri 14-Jun-19 21:54:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Callistemon Fri 14-Jun-19 22:45:34

One of my family had something that sounds similar. The procedure was much simpler than they thought.
I don't think that his has ever come back.

I wouldn't apply hot compresses near your eye - seek medical advice.

crazyH Fri 14-Jun-19 22:51:53

I have the same as Bordergirl.....calcium deposits. I use glasses, so it's not that noticeable. I have also decided to live with them. Not bothered. I think the Gp referred to mine as something else, can't remember the name.

Urmstongran Fri 14-Jun-19 23:08:43

I thought they were cholesterol deposits?

blondenana Fri 14-Jun-19 23:16:38

As far as i know they are cholesterol deposits too,
I have a tiny white spot in the corner of my eye,i kept thinking it was an eyelash i could feel in my eye, but i have been told by my chemist it is probably a blocked tear duct caused by my eye drops, i have got some antibiotic eye ointment

crazyH Fri 14-Jun-19 23:23:22

Urms/blonde ....Yes, come to think of it the Gp called them cholesterol deposits, not calcium deposits. You both are quite right.

Urmstongran Fri 14-Jun-19 23:38:22

crazyH glad my post jogged your memory!
Dr.Urmstongran

crazyH Fri 14-Jun-19 23:53:18

Thanks DrUrmstongran?

grandma60 Sat 15-Jun-19 05:16:10

I get the occasional chalazion. .My eye consultant told me that that they are caused by blepharitis, and to use the warm eye compress on them.

hondagirl Sat 15-Jun-19 06:48:47

Yes, warm eye compresses and also massaging the area after helps to clear it up. This is what my ophthalmologist advised. If it is not bothering you or not getting bigger I would not worry about it. It is a blocked tear duct and caused by blepharitis. As we get older the oil in the ducts gets thicker and can clog up the duct. I had one for over a year but it finally got smaller and went away on its own.

BlueBelle Sat 15-Jun-19 08:15:17

A friend had one removed and said it was very simple I don’t think it’s the sane as the fat deposits talked about by some

missdeke Sat 15-Jun-19 09:58:37

A chalazion is a blocked oil duct, nothing to do with cholesterol or calcium, Still, can be very uncomfortable too.

Gymstagran Sat 15-Jun-19 10:00:53

My granddaughter had two removed but had to have general anaesthetic due to her young age. The best advice I was given by optometrist was to leave the daily warm compress on for at least 7 mins and better for 10mins, not easy for a child. They are better dealt with when they are small.

EllanVannin Sat 15-Jun-19 10:02:05

Sometimes those things inside the eye-lid come and go without treatment but it's always handy to have an eye bath and boracic powder ( antiseptic ) for the eyes whatever the problem.

Callistemon Sat 15-Jun-19 10:02:44

A different thing, then, to what my relative had, which was a largish cyst on the eyelid.

Sorry for confusion!

Irene16 Sat 15-Jun-19 10:10:09

I have had two of these some years ago which were extremely painful. When I first visit GP I was told it was a stye which it clearly wasn't. The eye lid next to the eyeball secretes a lubricant which allows the eyelid to glide over the eye. When these lubricant ducts get blocked a chalazion occurs. They can just be a small bump or they can get inflammed, very painful and swell, impacting vision.
My chalazion was going to be removed but it became so large and split through the top lid of the eye. So then it was a matter of avoiding infection and bathing the eyelid.
My GD had several painful large chalazions when she was about 12. They tried removing via local procedure but it was too much and they knocked her out and removed them.
If the chalazion is small it is helpful to apply a warm compress and the gently massage the area to encourage the blockage to disperse. I would take advice from the eye clinic you are referred to.

Jacqui1956 Sat 15-Jun-19 10:11:52

I’ve had several chalazions (meibomian cysts) they can be very painful if they get infected. I’ve never had them removed I’ve found that after about 6 months they just disappear! By the time you get an appointment with the NHS they will most likely have gone. I use hot compresses and chloramphenicol eye ointment (you can buy it over the counter) which was recommended by an eye consultant.

ReadyMeals Sat 15-Jun-19 10:26:56

I don't think the little white hard lumps are the same thing as a chalazion. I had a couple of the little white things and I got rid of them by digging them out with a needle. They come out like little hard grains of uncooked rice. Never came back.

Solitaire Sat 15-Jun-19 10:38:48

readymeals I remember my aunt paying privately to have those little white lumps removed. But like you, when I got one I used a fine needle and out it popped!

annodomini Sat 15-Jun-19 10:57:59

My mother had white swellings on the upper eyelids. My doctor sister said they were cholesterol deposits.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 15-Jun-19 12:04:33

Ready meals, I had one of those little white lumps on my lower eyelid and like you, picked at it until it came out. A tiny pin prick of hard white stuff. It left a tiny crater that never closed up.
When I next went for an eye test was told to see my GP about it.
GP referred me to an opthalmic surgeon who told me it was a basal cell carcinoma and would have to be removed.
They are not the kind that spreads but can go deeper so need to be taken out.
I ended up having two ops as the biopsy revealed it was bigger than initially thought. I had to have a skin graft and my eyelid sewn shut for six weeks. I'm due for my five year check next March when I hope to be signed off.
So, please don't assume these little spots, swellings etc can just be ignored. Get them checked out.
I also had monthly injections in the other eye for macular degeneration, now stable and it's really no big deal, so don't be put off by the needle thing. Your eyes are precious.

Pollyanna2 Sat 15-Jun-19 13:33:54

Thanks for responses - It's not always clear what these white lumps round the eyes can be is it! I did see a GP and explained to him that I have what I thought was a chalazion + was using warm compresses etc - he just agreed with everything I said + said that if I decided to have it removed to let him know and he would refer me to go private. Think I'll persevere with compresses for a while longer and hope it disappears!

Saggi Sat 15-Jun-19 14:10:58

Pollyanna2....I’ve just had an eye op (ptosis) after a cataract replacement went a bit wrong last year.Had it done under local of course but those injections 2/3 I think, into the eyelid are painful...but...over very quickly. Now I’m 9 weeks after the op and had six stitches removed from lid and gradually ‘getting there’. Yes painful, but I needed the op...don’t know as I would do it again though if the same thing happens when the other cataract is done!!

Ceaser15 Sat 15-Jun-19 14:16:40

Had one of these on my eyelid for years. Eventually doc suggested it be removed so had local anaesthetic at hospital without any problem. Only negative, I ended up with black eye and it looked like I’d been hit by my DH!!!