Gransnet forums

Health

New GP surgery - why can’t they all be like this?

(28 Posts)
suziewoozie Thu 25-Jul-19 08:42:08

A week ago, I’d finally had enough and changed my GP’s surgery. Fortunately I live in the town centre and have two surgeries equidistant. Why did I wait so long and put up with such poor service at my previous practice? It was nothing to do with clinical care and everything to do with a) the reception staff, who, if being rude, dismissive and unhelpful to patients were an Olympic sport, they would be gold medal winners b) the internal administration where test results, letters, queries got ‘lost’ c) the appointment system which clearly was predicated upon the surgery’s mission of preventing patients from making appointments at all costs.

My new practice has the most charming, helpful reception/ admin staff and an appointment system so far ranging, flexible and patient friendly it’s beyond belief. I’ve had one appointment so far and the clinical care was first rate ( as it was at my previous practice) I know it’s early days yet but I’m sure my blood pressure has already gone down. These two practices are completely comparable in terms of demographics, funding ets but couldn’t be further apart in overall service provision. Why oh why do we allow such differences to persist?

suziewoozie Thu 25-Jul-19 16:04:09

My new practice has telephone triage as one of its methods but not the only one. It also has telephone appointments if you just want a quick word with the doctor but don’t need a face to face. Plus all the usual - online booking for non-urgent/ routines upto 4 weeks ahead (with 24/7 automated phone system as an alternative). If you want an urgent, you can use the automated phone system from 10pm the night before. If all appointments have gone, you ring reception and they arrange for a GP or ANP to ring you back within 2 hours for triage with a guaranteed appointment that day if appropriate. I still can’t believe my luck.

Luckylegs Thu 25-Jul-19 16:15:01

Our lovely surgery where we knew everyone and they knew all their patients has amalgamated with another larger one, a lot of the doctors and nurses have left as they just could not handle what was going to happen. The huge upheaval, that coincided with a large population growth has left everyone unhappy. Can’t get through on phone, can’t get appointments for weeks etc etc - all the usual complaints.

I decided to join their PPG, Patient Participation Group so I would get the chance to have a good moan and possibly help to improve things ‘from the inside’. Went to one meeting and soon learned that’s not what they want - they just want the group to do what they’re told! I’ve yet to find out what that is but it’s certainly not giving our opinion on all the changes, no way! I’m willing to try my best anyway.