Gransnet forums

Health

Varicose veins. Very bulging.

(38 Posts)
Userhere123 Thu 12-Sep-19 20:43:23

Hi all,
I have few bulgy varicose veins in my right leg. Near the calf area and behind the knees. It's been there for a couple of years now and it's gradually increasing. I asked my PCP once and she told me to wear compression stockings for that. I am wearing the thigh high stockings now. But I do feel some pain and heaviness in the leg at the end of the day. I do elevate my legs as much as possible.
I would like to know if anyone knows any remedies for this?
I am also planning to treat them. Before that, I would like to try some remedies if that works. I am not sure about the treatment though. Have to do research on that.
Thank you.

Farmor15 Sat 21-Sep-19 13:36:46

Not sure I'm going to be able to give you help with last question, but I'll share my experience. I started to have small bulgy varicose vein in right calf when only in my 20s (hereditary - both parents had). After 3 children, in mid 30s, I had op. Old way, complete stripping. Incision in groin, then multiple small cuts in calf down to ankles, where they tie off ends and pull the whole vein out! Subsequently the procedure changed to laser "cut off". I was very happy with result, no bulging veins and no pain.

Before op, I had aching pain like you describe, and my job involved a lot of standing. However, having thought my family was complete when I went for op, I ended up with 2 more children wink. Pregnancy can cause or make veins worse and I developed more bulgy ones in right calf. However, they don't bother me at all, apart from appearance. I did have injection, but it didn't do much.

Maybe someone else will advise on the newer treatments you've been recommended, but I'd definitely treat the veins, as they'll only get worse.

mokryna Sun 22-Sep-19 18:03:23

Yes LondonGranny, the vascular doctor told me on my last visit to always wear tights/stockings and trousers to protect my legs in case they got knocked as it would make what I have now more problematic..
Userhere123 I had my varicose veins striped out in both legs twenty years ago. It saved my from a lot of pain. I believe what I have now is nothing to do with the varicose veins but calcification which I think is a different kettle of fish. Could me wrong though, will ask when I see him.

mokryna Sun 22-Sep-19 18:04:46

sorry, just counted on my fingers 30 years ago, time flies

Userhere123 Mon 23-Sep-19 01:37:24

Thank you all so much for the replies.
@LondonGranny, that's so scary. I should be very careful. But I always get hurt on that leg somewhere.
Farmor15,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't know anything about this stripping treatment. Do you get the varicose veins or nay clots as side effects of that treatment. Actually, in the treatment which I was talking about, there are side effects that it may come back or don't close either. Also, chances of DVT.
mokryna,
Yours also stripped? That too 30 years back?? That's awesome. So, Do you get the varicose veins or nay clots as side effects of that treatment. Actually, in the treatment which I was talking about, there are side effects that it may come back or don't close either. Also, chances of DVT.

And I am 33 now. If the age is the matter of fact for this treatment. I don't know if it's too early to treat or I should before it gets worse.
And I am in the USA. Is anyone from here? Anyone undergone treat in the US?

Userhere123 Thu 03-Oct-19 22:21:36

Any inputs anyone?

JoannaMilten Fri 04-Oct-19 14:57:00

My doctor noticed a deep vein inflammation that was hard to cure. My daughter, who was very worried about my health, offered Varyforte cream.

JoannaMilten Fri 04-Oct-19 14:58:59

she orders it for me here tobehealthy.org/varyforte-9/

JanetSmith Tue 10-Aug-21 07:08:31

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Elegran Tue 10-Aug-21 07:46:49

Old thread, it has only been revived for a couple of product endorsements. Original poster is probably cured by now.

PurpleStar Tue 10-Aug-21 10:32:16

My husband aged 50,had both his legs done last year.He had the lazer technique used for above the knee and below the knee,the veins were stripped.He had both legs done within 1 month.He stands for 10 hours a day and there is hereditary vein issues too.He waited years before getting them looked at.They bulged so badly,he got Excema,Ulcers,cuts than wouldn't heal,mild Cellulitis.Then suddenly it escalated to bleeding spontaneously! We had to make sure he always had his phone with him if he was even thinking about stepping outside.Twice I found him laying on the ground covered in blood,he could have died! Worst time was 2am and his vein had started bleeding in his sleep!it was carnage and like a scene from a horror film,he could have died if he'd been in a deep sleep.He is slim,otherwise healthy,doesn't smoke or drink.I would say to anyone whose veins are bulging to get them fixed ASAP.Its not just for cosmetic reasons.My DH recovered very quickly,no major pain,just discomfort for a few days.Wishing you all the best.

MayBee70 Tue 10-Aug-21 12:10:37

I really don’t understand why varicose vein treatment is now regarded as cosmetic. DH has just had a blood clot in his leg as a result of him scratching one of his varicose veins one day. One of the main problems as people get older seems to be lower leg problems as a result of poor circulation. Has anyone ever bought one of those machines that you put your feet on that are supposed to improve circulation?

loopyloo Tue 10-Aug-21 14:05:07

Watching this thread with interest. My legs often uncomfortable because of the veins. Might try to get them done privately if I can do a bit at a time.