Gransnet forums

Health

Arthritis

(32 Posts)
Pippapips Mon 30-Sep-19 08:10:58

Hi All
Just wandering what medication people are using for arthritis
I’ve been taking the same medication for years and my knees are getting so bad I’m thinking maybe I should look into a new mediation
Any thoughts ?
Thank you

Charleygirl5 Mon 30-Sep-19 08:53:04

You do not need two threads on the same subject!

Pippapips Mon 30-Sep-19 09:52:27

Not really sure what I’m doing at the moment still getting used to it maybe it’s not for me !

Anniebach Mon 30-Sep-19 10:02:58

It can be confusing at first Pippapips. You will get use to it

Charleygirl5 Mon 30-Sep-19 10:07:31

I think you need to go to your GP and maybe ask for a referral to an orthopaedic consultant but try to work out which is worse, your hip or your knee.

Ngaio1 Mon 30-Sep-19 10:07:46

I have some joint pain at times. Is there a test to discover whether this is arthritis or related to the immune system problem which I already have?

Pippapips Mon 30-Sep-19 10:08:25

Thank you Anniebach for your kind comment

BlueBelle Mon 30-Sep-19 10:10:14

You’re fine Pippa easy to make mistakes in the early days just send HQ a message and they will remove one Don’t get put off
Anyway welcome to you
I have osteoporosis and some arthritis but I don’t take any medication I prefer to try my best to get on ‘with it’ because I don’t want to get stuck on upping painkillers all the time I have it in my feet, fingers, and back I have a fairly high pain threshold and prefer to just get on with things wherever I can
If your meds used to work but now don’t i d guess that your body has got too used to them Have you tried herbal my mum had a lot of success with Green lipped mussel tablets
I ve tried all the glucosamine, rosehip, and others in the health shop but none have had any effect for me
Are you down for a knee replacement ?
Haven’t been much help have I? ?

Pippapips Mon 30-Sep-19 10:10:42

Hi Ngaiol
I had scans and xrays done

shysal Mon 30-Sep-19 10:11:28

Welcome to Gransnet, Pippapips flowers. It took me ages to get to grips with the way it works, never having used a forum before, so please don't be put off by any comments. I am a bit of a coward so I avoid any thread on Religion or Politics, I don't like confrontation!

tanith Mon 30-Sep-19 10:12:29

Pippapips and what conclusions from the scans can I ask?

Pippapips Mon 30-Sep-19 10:14:17

Hi Bluebelle
You have absolutely been a great help and made me feel better about my mistake !
Not down for replacements as I’m 55 and been told I’m too young a trip back to the doctors i think

Pippapips Mon 30-Sep-19 10:16:30

Hi Tanith
Scans show arthritis in both knees to the front and in one hip

Pippapips Mon 30-Sep-19 10:18:25

Thank you shysal

tanith Mon 30-Sep-19 10:18:48

Pippapips I had my first hip- replacement at 57 and if you are in so much pain it’s affecting your sleep and quality of life don’t let them fob you off with ‘you’re too young’. Hopefully you aren’t at that stage yet and a change of meds will do the trick.
Welcome by the way.

CassieJ Mon 30-Sep-19 10:19:04

You need to talk it over with your consultant. An option is to have knee replacements if your knees are very bad. A scan will show the level of wear and tear.

My mum has extremely severe arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and oesteo . She has been on very strong medication for many years and had knee replacements. At the moment she is on humira [ self injections ] and methotrexate. She is also on low dose steroids, plus a host of other meds.

Teacheranne Mon 30-Sep-19 10:36:24

Hi Pippapips, welcome!

I was also told at age 55 that I was too young for knee replacement and this was with a private consultant as I have insurance. My X-rays show that both my knees are totally kn*****ed! He also told me to lose weight which I have been doing - very slowly though! I paid £200 for this very brief consultation and joke that it cost me £50 per word "Too young, too fat!"

I am now 62 and really struggling with my mobility, I sometimes have to use two walking sticks to walk even short distances and have just been granted a disability parking badge after an assessment. So I think it is time to revisit my GP about a new referral.

I have tried different painkillers over the years and am currently on paracetamol and tramodol - up to four times a day but I rarely take that much, trying to manage on three times. I am still in pain but the overall movement is better when taking the tramodol. I was worried about all the articles about becoming addicted to it but I know that I am not as I sometimes forget to take it and my pharmacist has reassured me that I do not get enough at a time to be worried.

My GP though will not prescribe anything stronger as she says there is no medical research to show that these opioids are effective for oesteoarthritis.

My family are urging me to see a consultant again and my very bossy daughter will be coming with me so that I do not get fobbed off again.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 30-Sep-19 11:08:16

Hi and welcome. Don't let them fob you off about being to young, its all to save money. Tell them you can't sleep at night because of the pain, doesn't matter if its not true, its one of the ways they measure whether you can have a replacement. Tell them the quality of your life is reduced and also that you feel like you are going to fall.

A replacement to the hip or knees will help no-end. Just keep pushing and don't let it go. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Pippapips Mon 30-Sep-19 11:11:21

Thank you so much everyone you been really kind and helpful?

grannysyb Mon 30-Sep-19 11:56:13

I had bad hip pain in June, saw my GP who sent me for xrays. The result was that I had "moderate damage" in both hips. She asked if I wanted a referral, I said yes. Saw consultant in August who said I needed a new right hip, I'm having it done on October 15th, good old NHS! I'm 71 btw.

SueDonim Mon 30-Sep-19 12:36:15

I have osteoarthritis although not severe enough for joint replacements, thankfully.

The latest news is that most new joints will last much longer than expected, up to 25 years. www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47238523

tanith Mon 30-Sep-19 13:02:19

That’s good news but I’m wondering if that means new hips done now or includes older implants my first ones over 15 yrs now and I was told it should last 15/20 it’s fine thus far be great to get another 10 yrs if I’m around that long ?

SueDonim Mon 30-Sep-19 14:58:36

Tanith, it must mean older implants, because they looked at records going back 25 years. smile

GrannyLaine Mon 30-Sep-19 15:11:01

Pippapips, I'm 63 and have osteoarthritis in my hip, knee and wrist & thumb joints all on my right side. It has been developing over a number of years and is now starting to really affect my sleep as its much worse at night. My GP has been keen to refer me to a surgeon to discuss replacement but for various reasons, I don't yet want to go down that route. My physio pointed out that as only one side is affected, this is wear and tear rather than weight related (how I loved him for that!) Your age should be immaterial, a decision for surgery should be based purely on how your quality of life is affected. At the moment regular Ibuprofen seems fairly effective at keeping the pain tolerable.

tanith Mon 30-Sep-19 15:51:30

Thanks SueDonim I did read but missed that fingers crossed then lol