Gransnet forums

Health

Arthritis

(33 Posts)
Pippapips Mon 30-Sep-19 08:10:58

Hi All
Just wandering what medication people are using for arthritis
I’ve been taking the same medication for years and my knees are getting so bad I’m thinking maybe I should look into a new mediation
Any thoughts ?
Thank you

Charleygirl5 Mon 30-Sep-19 15:55:31

Pippapips osteoarthritis is diagnosed in 4 stages- 0 being normal and 4 being bone rubbing on bone which does justify a new joint replacement. Ask your GP which number your OA falls under- he can tell by looking at the xray and if you knew that would give you a better idea of the way forward. If possible drugs are not the answer. (Admittedly it may only be the orthopaedic surgeon who can give you the number).

try to assess how far you can walk and how the pain affects your sleep. Do your homework re orthopaedic consultants- some I would not want clipping my toenails.

SueDonim Mon 30-Sep-19 16:16:56

Yes, indeed, Tanith. KBO* as they say! smile

*keep b*gg*ring on.

tanith Mon 30-Sep-19 16:20:15

??

pinkquartz Mon 30-Sep-19 17:37:29

I am wondering if there is anyone like me who has been turned down for knee replacements because of poor health?

I have been refused by two hospitals. I have a number of complex health issues including a dysfunctional immune system and for a different reason I cannot exercise, which is vital after the operation.

I am finding it harder and harder to cope with the pain and wondered how others might cope? I do take prescription only painkillers. I have had the OA in my knees for 12 years already and of course it just gets worse.

LondonGranny Tue 01-Oct-19 13:25:18

I have had arthritic knees & ankles for ages and recently my shoulders have been painful. I got offered tramadol a few years ago but I'm reluctant to take something so strong. My GP gave me 30mg codeine which is apparently less dangerous than tramadol. I rarely take it and tend to keep it for emergencies because it makes me very constipated but I take ibuprofen daily which takes the edge off.

marianalma Mon 03-Feb-20 08:34:10

For help on living well with osteoarthritis, I recommend: www.halfthebattlecoach.com

marianalma Mon 03-Feb-20 08:36:43

There's a new app called Half the Battle which matches you with a fellow group of people living with OA. A pain coach then works with your group, giving you access to cutting edge expertise on living well with your condition. The program is totally free and we hope it will positively impact your day to day.
Register today at: www.halfthebattlecoach.com