Gransnet forums

Health

I’m going to have a nose job that I don’t really want.

(97 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Wed 30-Oct-19 15:21:12

So I’m getting prepared,

Early this year I noticed a white patch on the tip of my nose.
I have already had a BCC so I was off to the Dr like a shot.
- Just sun damage- nothing to worry about.

Well I was worried so I booked and paid for a consultation at Spire. Got the top woman, lucky me. She spent all of 30 seconds having a look then wrote Solar Elastosis on a piece of paper and almost told me to go away and stop wasting time.

Last night I went for a 3rd opinion. Had to pay again. Lucky I’m still working.
Lovely consultant this time. He seems totally convinced that it is a BCC and will have to be removed.
Now I’m waiting for a date for the biopsy.

My message to you all is keep going back till they agree with you?

Maggiemaybe Sat 02-Nov-19 17:49:15

I hope all goes well for you, PamelaJ1.

I'll miss Gabriella too. I didn't often agree with her, but it'd be a boring old place if we were all the same. I don't think she meant her comment to come across as it did to some.

Gonegirl Sat 02-Nov-19 19:13:53

Oh come on. I found *Gabriella's posts interesting/funny/maddening. But the "death sentence" one was beyond the pale, and there is no explaining it away.

I hope she comes back though. GN was slightly less boring with her on it.

MawB Sat 02-Nov-19 19:33:01

Dragonfly I would certainly have called out that “death sentence” comment to anybody’s face - it was ill- judged, tactless and should have been followed immediately by a sincere apology - not an attempt at self- justification.
Attack may well be the best form of defence, but not this time.

Callistemon Sat 02-Nov-19 23:25:23

Pamela I did worry that doctors in this country seemed to have inadequate knowledge of skin cancers but hoped they were becoming more aware. However, your experience didn't fill me with much hope. In Australia there is, obviously, much more awareness because perhaps the incidence of skin cancers is higher and many people I know have had treatment.

My GP was however, very thorough although not sure when I was worried about something recently and got me a speedy appointment at the hospital. It did turn out to be something else entirely thank goodness.

Good luck and I hope all goes well.

grannyactivist Sat 02-Nov-19 23:26:06

On holiday a couple of years ago a dermatologist staying in the same resort had a quiet word with me because he thought that I had a BCC on the end of my nose. He advised me to make an appointment with a GP straight away, which I did as soon as I got home. The GP was not my usual one and he said that he didn’t think it was a BCC, but bowed to the superior knowledge of the dermatologist and did a 2 week wait referral for me.

It was a ‘see and treat’ appointment and half an hour after seeing the consultant I was having the end of my nose shaved off. They also found and treated another on my back that actually needed much deeper excision and took 2 months to heal.

There is a large scar on my back, but they made such a good job of my nose that you just can’t tell I’ve had treatment. I hope yours is dealt with just as efficiently PamelaJ1.

PamelaJ1 Thu 21-Nov-19 20:32:57

Just a quick update.
I’ve had the biopsy.
Now I have to wait for the results before the consultant can decide which route to take.
Meanwhile here is a lovely photo of my nose???

SueDonim Thu 21-Nov-19 20:46:36

I hope that's not too painful! flowers. I must admit, it does rather look as though a fly has settled on your nose - don't let anyone try and swat it!

?For a boring result.

Hetty58 Thu 21-Nov-19 20:53:17

PamelaJ1, I think it's rather cute, like your nose has it's own little bow tie!

EllanVannin Thu 21-Nov-19 21:08:37

It mightn't be too bad. My dad had a rodent ulcer on his nose and he had to have a real chunk out of it. They leave the biggest scars, not the BCC's.

Don't let it get you down.

I've had 3 BCC's and a rodent ulcer removed in the past, and the damned rodent ulcer has returned, but it's on my body where the sun doesn't go, underneath the bust. There is no scarring from 9 stitches that I had on my forehead. The only embarrassment was looking like the Ayatollah when my head was bandaged. Still, it gave everyone a laugh.

I'm leaving my lumps and bumps until the New Year now. They're not going anywhere.

Callistemon Thu 21-Nov-19 23:30:06

My friend's scar right on the tip of her nose looked worse than that but it looks fine now only a few months later.

That looks like a very neat job Pamela

PamelaJ1 Fri 22-Nov-19 09:16:41

Didn’t he do well. That’s the first bit over.
I’ll update when I have the results.
SueDonim I’ve got everything crossed. When he started talking about the MOHs procedure I got a bit worried but, hopefully, that won’t happen.
Lesson to be learnt- don’t look on utube??

Callistemon Fri 22-Nov-19 09:35:37

I am just going to google rodent ulcer

hmm

SueDonim Fri 22-Nov-19 11:57:01

Dr Google isn't always your friend, PamelaJ1!

Hope it's healing well.

JenniferEccles Fri 22-Nov-19 16:15:52

That looks a neat skilful job Pamela. I’m sure it will fade away to nothing. I bet you are relieved it’s all over.

PamelaJ1 Mon 16-Dec-19 19:04:16

Another update.
I’ve just had the results of the biopsy and unfortunately I DO have a BCC.
Also unfortunately the consultant didn’t get it all so I’m on the next stage. I’m applying Efudix cream, I’m sure some of you have had this so you’ll know that I’m expecting to rival Rudolph by Christmas Day!
If that doesn’t work then I will have another chunk cut out.
That won’t be for at least 3 months, one month of the cream, two for it to settle down then Mr. M will have another look.
Will update again then.

Hetty58 Mon 16-Dec-19 19:12:00

Oh dear, what a nuisance for you Pamela. Let's hope the cream works well and you don't look like Rudolph for too long!

grannyqueenie Mon 16-Dec-19 20:12:41

Good for you for persisting, too many folk would just accept what they’re told and bow down to the medics. Shame it not straightforward to fix but hopefully you’ll get a surgeon who’s good with fine needlework and in a few years, (like me will struggle to event pinpoint the spot! Wishing you well x

PamelaJ1 Mon 16-Dec-19 20:26:05

Thank you

SueDonim Mon 16-Dec-19 20:38:00

I’m sorry it wasn’t better news, PamelaJ1, though your instinct has served you well. I hope the next treatment goes smoothly for you. flowers

endlessstrife Tue 17-Dec-19 19:12:27

Awww, bless you Pamela hope it goes well. Please go back to those who wrongly ‘ diagnosed’ you, especially the one you paid for. You should get a full refund ?. At the very least, a grovel at your feet!

Callistemon Tue 17-Dec-19 19:49:58

Wishing you well Pamela