Gransnet forums

Health

A Shingles Vaccination appointment next week ,has anyone had one ,are there side effects

(36 Posts)
Bonsela3 Thu 30-Jan-20 11:54:26

Hi everyone,I am dreading a Shingles vaccination offered to me at 70 years at my surgery . I cant find anyone who has has this vaccine ,please give me your thoughts anyone had side effects ,
Many thanks

Grandma2213 Fri 31-Jan-20 02:33:53

I had flu and pneumonia vaccinations a few years ago and when I asked about shingles the nurse gave me it at her discretion having seen my medical records and the number of times I had had shingles before. I think I was about 68. No side effects from any of them, nor from any flu jabs since.

Coolgran65 Fri 31-Jan-20 04:01:25

Shingles jab last year with no ill effects.
My friend had shingles 4 years ago and still suffers pain at the rash site severe enough to be attending a pain clinic.

MawB Fri 31-Jan-20 06:28:36

Like many people, yes had it (year before last) and had no ill effects.
For a variety of reasons I did not get my flu jab this year and wonder if I can tempt fate by saying "so far, so good" on that score. Better not.? grin

Liz46 Fri 31-Jan-20 06:39:35

I had the shingles jab as soon as it was offered as I know people who have had shingles and how painful it was. I found that the injection did hurt but no side effects. Someone said that if a vaccine has come straight out of the fridge, it is more painful. I don't know if that is correct.

travelsafar Fri 31-Jan-20 07:40:01

A friend had shingles even though she had the jab. Sadly it was on her face and affected one of her eyes. She has been left with an ulcer at the back of the eye which she has to use drops everyday to keep it under control. I will defo have the jab when i am 70. GP told her it would have be worse had she not had the jab.

NanKate Fri 31-Jan-20 08:17:34

I had just a bit of an itchy arm. The illness is awful my mum had it and the pain lasted for a very long time. Please get it done.

EllanVannin Fri 31-Jan-20 12:26:37

Just a bit of a sore arm ( achey ) that's all.

harrigran Fri 31-Jan-20 12:35:06

I had my shingles vaccination with no side effects at all, I did have to postpone for a month or two because when I got the first appointment I had just finished chemotherapy and I think you have to wait three months after finishing.

Durban54 Mon 03-Feb-20 11:35:01

Thank you for all the messages re the shingles vaccine,
I will report back on Thursday when I have had my vaccine
Your help has been invaluable.I am 71 years
The pneumonia vaccine will be next
All ok with flu vaccine.

evianers Mon 03-Feb-20 12:04:09

Don't worry..... I am 74 rapidly approaching 75. You will be fine.
Hamba kahle!