Gransnet forums

Health

Cataract op yesterday- any helpful hints?

(28 Posts)
curvygran950 Tue 04-Feb-20 13:58:08

I had a cataract operation (under sedation) yesterday and I was wondering if anyone has any positive, helpful hints about coping over the next day or two. I have DH at home who is helping with drops etc , but is it normal to feel a bit queasy and spaced out - as well as eye being sore?
Thanks for reading, positive thoughts only, please!

4allweknow Fri 21-Feb-20 13:37:37

Hello, Found your posting as I was looking for info on macular hole repair and cataract removal. Had both done on Monday and have come through the 3 days of having head low day and night. I found this to be torture. Now walking about indoors but would appreciate hearing what your sight was like at the early stage after surgery. Have the bubble bobbing about. Kind Regards

Grandma2213 Sat 22-Feb-20 02:54:19

4allweknow I had a macular repair a few years ago but was only told to keep head down for the first night (it was overnight at the hospital). On examination the next morning I was told that the gas bubble was in the right place and that I did not have to do it any longer but was advised not to sleep on my back. I was actually very careful to keep my head forward for the first few days and tried to sleep on my front just to be sure. The bubble gradually disappeared over the next couple of months and apart from driving and swimming I lived a normal life. The consultant at the time did not do an operation on my cataract as he said he did not want to do something unnecessary. He said the trauma might affect it but also I might be lucky and it would not change. I was not that lucky and had the operation the following year. Unfortunately I had to have laser treatment last year as it clouded over again. I believe that is quite rare. I still have slight distortion where the scar from the macular repair is but vision is much better than before. I didn't expect perfect!
I hope this helps and that all goes well for you. I just think what they can do is amazing!!