Gransnet forums

Health

Cataract op yesterday- any helpful hints?

(27 Posts)
curvygran950 Tue 04-Feb-20 13:58:08

I had a cataract operation (under sedation) yesterday and I was wondering if anyone has any positive, helpful hints about coping over the next day or two. I have DH at home who is helping with drops etc , but is it normal to feel a bit queasy and spaced out - as well as eye being sore?
Thanks for reading, positive thoughts only, please!

Urmstongran Tue 04-Feb-20 14:43:32

My stepfather aged 87y had his first eye done in November. He said his eye felt ‘gritty’ for a few days at first but was reassured this was normal.

He did his own eye drops 4 times a day. The nurse said pull your bottom eyelid down gently to make a ‘pouch’ a little pocket to put the eye drops in.

I think he was quite proud not to need help!

He gets the other eye done next month and is really pleased with his better vision.

Good luck!

phoenix Tue 04-Feb-20 16:37:27

I didn't have any sedation when I had mine done (which I had!) so it could be that you making you feel a bit away with the fairies!

Found I was very sensitive to light for a few days, so dig out a pair of sunglasses.

tessagee Tue 04-Feb-20 16:53:57

Hi Curvygran. Yes I had mine done without sedation just 2 months ago and was quite surprised at how unwell I felt for a few days including a lot of pain in the eye socket. However it all settled down gradually and I was finally signed off two weeks ago. Pleased to say I got my new spectacles yesterday, so all good. Just do take it easy and follow all the instructions regarding aftercare. Very best wishes.

Dec46 Tue 04-Feb-20 16:55:31

I didn't have sedation and ,as Phoenix said,that could be why you are feeling as you do.
I did my own drops which I was ok with.
When I had my second one done I was given protective specs to wear in bed for about a week but didn't have these for the first one.
You need to be extra careful about washing hands etc as Consultant told me most Post Op.problems happen if people don't follow instructions correctly.

TwiceAsNice Tue 04-Feb-20 17:27:09

I had a cataract and macular hole repair done at the same time so much longer operation and eye was very sore but healed quickly. I had it done with local anaesthetic no sedation . I think it’s probably the sedation that’s is making you feel odd

curvygran950 Tue 04-Feb-20 17:54:22

Thank you all so much ! It’s heartening to hear success stories. I know it will be fine eventually, but a bit of a downer on the first day ...... I won’t be taking any selfies that’s for sure!

curvygran950 Thu 06-Feb-20 11:36:08

I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but I need some advice - any hints for keeping the operated-on eye dry while washing my hair?
I've been putting it off for as long as possible and don't want to use dry shampoo for fear of getting it [powder] into my eye. Going to a hairdresser not possible I'm afraid.
DH says he will help .......

kircubbin2000 Thu 06-Feb-20 12:10:42

I washed mine with the hand held shower and avoided wetting my face. You could also keep eye shut and have towel handy.

ExD1938 Thu 06-Feb-20 12:15:58

Did you mean being actually put 'under' when you said 'sedation curvygran950 or just the usual cocktail of eyedrops and pain killers we all seem to have had. I can remember being told to look at a green light all the time, and being reminded to carry on doing so if I wandered - you wouldn't be able to do that if you were unconscious.

ExD1938 Thu 06-Feb-20 12:21:44

My message posted before I finished, sorry.
Washing the hair in a shower is fine, getting the outside of your lid wet isn't going to affect your eye. Do you usually get water actually IN your eye Curvygran?
If you don't use a shower and bend forward over the washbasin, that'll be more awkward, I'd try a baby shampoo and not put any on the forehead bit at the front.
But as long as your eyes are shut ?????

Sussexborn Thu 06-Feb-20 12:22:23

It was a long while ago but we got MIL an adult version of the foam rings that are, or perhaps were, available for keeping shampoo out of children's eyes.

glammanana Thu 06-Feb-20 12:31:01

I just kept my eyes shut and used the shower head with no problems,I was also given a eye mask to use at night time for the first week and everything was fine,even better after I had the second one done 6 weeks later and ordered new spec's.

chelseababy Thu 06-Feb-20 12:31:54

I was given a plastic shield and taped that over eye before hair washing

JenniferEccles Thu 06-Feb-20 12:37:34

Do please come back with news of how you are progressing curvygran950

I have been told I have the very beginnings of cataracts which will need to be removed in the future.

I find the thought really scary!

Sussexborn Thu 06-Feb-20 12:56:31

www.boots.com/nilaqua-rinse-free-shampoo-cap-10219520

I have early stage cataracts! OH had his operated on quite a while ago and things have definitely moved on. He was amazed at how colourful the world was after the gradual deterioration. Both my grans had cataract surgery but in the days when you had sandbags around your head as you had to lie very still.

curvygran950 Thu 06-Feb-20 14:50:09

Many thanks yet again to everyone ! I have a plastic eye shield for nights, so will use that and keep my eye shut .....
ExD1938 - I had sedation IV through a cannula on the back of my hand , which made me less anxious, drowsy but still aware.
Although it’s early days, the difference in my vision is truly amazing , both in clarity and colours .
I can’t tell you how good it is to be able to ask for advice and receive so many kind replies , thank you again .

curvygran950 Fri 07-Feb-20 09:24:09

Hair wash achieved! I covered the plastic eye shield in cling film, put an eye pad underneath , OH taped it on with micropore then into the shower I went......hand held for safety . I feel so much better !

JenniferEccles Fri 07-Feb-20 15:14:24

That’s good !
Thanks for the update. I’m sure the hair wash felt wonderful!

I will definitely need a sedative when it’s time for mine to be done.
The thought of someone approaching my eyes with a scalpel terrifies me!

watermeadow Sat 08-Feb-20 18:35:08

I’m waiting to have a cataract removed under general anaesthetic. It’s been left until really bad because I only have useful vision in this eye and, if anything goes wrong, I’ll be left blind.
I’m worried about how much I’ll be able to see straight after the operation. Shall I be able to read, sew, use my IPad? Nobody seems able to tell me because most people can use their other eye.

Dec46 Sat 08-Feb-20 19:45:50

JenniferE. please don't worry about seeing a scalpel coming towards you because you won't see anything other than a bright light .You won't feel anything either as eye will have had numbing drops which take effect before anything takes place.I've had 2 eyes done at 2 seperate hospitals both without extra sedation,just the drops,and it was fine. The thought is terrifying but the actual procedure really isn't.
Watermeadow I was able to see out of my operated eyes straight away so expect it should be the same for you.x

curvygran950 Sat 08-Feb-20 22:40:25

Water meadow I couldn’t believe the improvement from the moment the dressing was removed . It really is truly amazing , please try not to worry . I was extremely nervous but had no need to be - having said that, I did have sedation ......
Best of luck and good wishes .

grandtanteJE65 Sun 09-Feb-20 12:03:13

Did the hospital not give you a number you could ring if you had questions post op.?

My eye felt gritty for the first day, but then everything was fine. It has made an immense difference to my sight, so I hope you soon will be feeling the benefits too.

According to the information that I was given you can have pain afterwards.

Could the queasy feeling not just be stress?

JohnRNIB Tue 11-Feb-20 12:08:36

Hope you're doing well @curvygran950 and get over feeling queasy soon! As ever, if you have any questions or concerns about your symptoms, then do contact our Eye Health Information Service through the RNIB Helpline - 0303 123 9999 Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, and Saturday 9am to 1pm, or by email

curvygran950 Tue 11-Feb-20 14:43:12

Thank you JohnRNIB , I’m much better and eye is looking much calmer- almost back to normal . I may well ring the helpline as I have one or two concerns.
Thank you again .