Gransnet forums

Health

MRI scan

(58 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Fri 14-Feb-20 22:18:56

Hi I'm due to have a brain MRI scan soon and am a bit nervous about it. This is to determine what causes me to have trigeminal neuralgia. This extremely painful condition is controlled by medication at the moment thankfully. However there is an operation I could have to correct it if they find what causes it. Just wondering if any GNers out there have had an MRI on the brain and what it was like.

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 16-Feb-20 21:08:10

Had 3 to monitor growth or not of cyst.

Noisy as others have said. Always use the headphones and I had ear plugs as well as I have thin eardrums.

I have had the contrast and no problems. You will know if you are having it as you will need to do a blood test a week or so before.

I manage to close my eyes for a good part of it. They tell you how much longer to go. Mine last about 40 mins as it was my full torso. Head one should be a lot shorter.

Worse part is waiting for the result. !

Thinking of you.

Ellianne Sun 16-Feb-20 22:18:08

I found it very loud as the machine clunked round my head and it seemed to go on for a long time. I would have to be feeling very brave to have another one.

santosh5 Mon 17-Feb-20 07:44:53

in MRI scan process to all inside the body system are see that easily by MRI.
[url=http://rxmarine.com/Natural-Blue-Biodegradable-Cleaner-Degreaser] Degreaser [/url]

Hetty58 Mon 17-Feb-20 08:05:14

I'm very claustophobic but had no problems at all with scans. I just kept my eyes shut and concentrated on listening to the music. In my mind, I was lying on the beach!

Quite surprising, as I have a lot of trouble waiting (indoors) at appointments or staying in hospital - even visiting people. I'm uneasy on buses and trains, don't like being deep inside buildings with no easy exit etc. - yet being inside a tube was perfectly OK.

I think the fact that something was happening (there was a purpose in having my spine examined) helped a lot. It's waiting/delays/queues I can't tolerate!

TerryM Mon 17-Feb-20 09:06:48

My husband has a brain tumour
In 2015 he had numerous MRIs for it. Subsequent to his surgery in 2015 he has MRIs with contrast inject at least every six months. They couldn't get all the tumour and they are watching the regrowth
He does get a bit tired for the day after it. Also it can be noisy..
I hope it all goes calmly for you OP

Granarchist Mon 17-Feb-20 09:26:41

my 7 yr old DGD is about to have one - we have explained what will happen and she says she is happy to do it without a general anaethestic (which they usually do for children). Maybe children don't get claustrophobic! We will see.

suziewoozie Mon 17-Feb-20 09:38:18

Gran there are some really useful threads on MN about young children having MRIs - worth popping over.