Gransnet forums

Health

Handkerchiefs

(31 Posts)
Atqui Mon 17-Feb-20 14:19:15

My H uses handkerchiefs, even when he has a cold. I think they are disgusting and a sure way of carrying germs on the hands. If I have a cold I blow my nose on a tissue and bin it Anyone agree?

LadyGracie Mon 17-Feb-20 22:30:40

My DH always has one in his trouser pocket (habit) along with tissues.

I usually get a still folded immaculate handkerchief in the washing basket when he puts his trousers in to be washed, he always empties his pockets and turns his trousers inside out.

May7 Mon 17-Feb-20 22:35:57

Toilet rolls for a cold then down the loo. Tissues in bag or trouser pocket and woebetide if they end up in washing machine grrrrr. Handkerchiefs for sobbing into -usually weddings or funerals

ElaineI Mon 17-Feb-20 22:46:43

Infection control nurse - paper tissues - use it, bin it, wash your hands with soap and water and dry with paper hand towels also binned.
Cotton hankies worst thing possible for spreading bacteria and viruses.

Jane43 Tue 18-Feb-20 10:04:09

My DH also won’t use tissues, only handkerchiefs. I haven’t used anything but tissues for as long as I can remember. I always have a packet of those small packs in each handbag. I also wash them on the hottest setting. I wish I could convert him to tissues but have been unsuccessful so far.

Alexa Tue 18-Feb-20 10:15:48

If I use a tissue I am seldom near a bin. If I am near a bin . I think if people used paper hankies and dropped them on the street or grass in the park there would be an outcry.

Actually nose blow items are problematic. When people have specific severe infections such as TB it's better to contain the snot or sputum in a hankie in a pocket . For this purpose a cloth hankie is easier than a tissue to fold and put away in the pocket and won't disintegrate in the pocket. May be there are portable cups now for sputum. Snot is not as potentially infective as sputum for spreading bacteria.