Gransnet forums

Health

Drinking a glass of water that has stood bedside overnight

(115 Posts)
Cunco Tue 18-Feb-20 15:25:51

I was always told as a child (a long time ago) not to drink a glass of water that has stood bedside overnight. At my ripe old age now, I invariably do. I have 'googled' and found lots of reasons why it might not taste fresh or even be slightly off; but has anyone in the UK, or place of similar climate, ever been made ill by drinking this 'stale' water? I haven't and was wondering whether anyone else has.

May7 Tue 18-Feb-20 17:08:46

Suedonim
penis beaker
That's the funniest thread I've read to date. ?

Callistemon Tue 18-Feb-20 17:11:06

I drink some water in the night and finish the rest off in the morning. Someone posted on FB that it picked up germs overnight but I can't see how.

Callistemon Tue 18-Feb-20 17:13:46

connected that to all the dust that gathers under the bed
Don't you vacuum under the bed?

Ah well, if it gathers under the bed it isn't going into my water. Perhaps I'll get a Tommee Tippee cup.

Maggiemaybe Tue 18-Feb-20 17:18:06

I usually have to get up in the night to go to the bathroom, so if I'm thirsty I just have a drink from the tap in there.

I can't see that drinking that overnight water will do you any harm. Unless you keep your teeth in it, of course. grin

M0nica Tue 18-Feb-20 17:19:10

The 'stale' water story is just another of those old wives tales or myths, like not washing your hair when you are having your period.

Cunco Tue 18-Feb-20 17:24:15

Callistemon It seems water starts to absorb CO2 in the air affecting the taste and there is always the chance that dust, insects and bacteria could have dropped in by morning. And, as one poster mentioned, a pet might call in for a drink.

That said, nobody seems to have come to any harm from drinking water left overnight so, maybe, it's one of those lesser risks we are all supposed to watch out for. I think I am more alarmed by things that go bump in the night - and in our house, they sometimes do!

TrendyNannie6 Tue 18-Feb-20 17:32:00

No I don’t take water up to bed. I generally drink glassful a couple hours before bed, I get up quite early around 630 so I generally drink couple of glasses of water with my meds

JuliaM Tue 18-Feb-20 17:36:07

I never take an actual glass of water to bed with me, but l do save and recycle plastic bottles that have previously contained fruit juices and Ribena type squash. I do get very thirsty during the night and regularly wake up for a drink, a single glass full would be nowhere near enough for me without needing a refill!
A litre bottle filled with tap water stays fresh and free of any dust or other contamination from insects etc, and is spill proof should l accidentally knock it over during the night.

Liz46 Tue 18-Feb-20 18:27:05

SueDonim, my husband has been laughing at that link for ages now and he is supposed to be doing the dishes! He is now on page 11 out of 41.
Thanks for idea of using a bottle for bedside water. I have a small water bottle that I will use. A friend told me that he woke up in the night and had a drink from his glass and a big lump, probably a spider, went down.

Auntieflo Tue 18-Feb-20 18:35:04

I always take a glass of water up to bed, and usually drink at least half of it during the night.
Sometimes our tap water tastes chlorinated, but after standing a few hours, the taste has gone.

We haven't suffered any ill effects, as far as I know.

CanadianGran Tue 18-Feb-20 18:42:38

I never worried about anything dropping into a water glass until now!

Up until a few years ago I never felt the need to have a sip or two in the night; however now I wake more often, and sometimes am quite dry so will have a sip from a bottle. Away from home I will use a glass if that is all that is available. Now I will worry about small creatures or floaty dust... yuk!

SueDonim Tue 18-Feb-20 19:19:31

I assumed most people knew about beakergate as it’s a long-standing MN thread and I’m pretty sure it hit the national press at the time. I had no thought to shock anyone.

Liz46 I hope your dh has finished the washing up by now, I wouldn’t want to keep him from his duties! And the spider...yikes! Now that would freak me out. ?

I’m also laughing at Welbeck’s ‘insulted’ cups. grin

sodapop Tue 18-Feb-20 19:23:47

I always have a glass of water by my bed and usually drink about half of it each night. I always keep it covered to stop creepy crawlies getting in. I did chuckle at the cat dipping his paw in the water.

BradfordLass73 Tue 18-Feb-20 19:33:22

I fill 2 x 750ml sipper-top bottles with iced tap water every night and drink at least one between 8pm and 5am.

During this exceptionally hot summer, when night temperatures rarely drop much below 20 degrees even in the early hours, neither are refrigerated.

I often drink both (it's a great relief to get up at 5am grin) and have never been ill as a result.

However, I do make sure the bottles are regularly sterilised so any bacteria which may be starting, can be sure of an early demise.

EllanVannin Tue 18-Feb-20 19:40:25

I don't like water at the best of times so wouldn't take a glass of it to bed. It's only on the rare occasion that I wake up anyway so it would be a waste of time.

Medics would say I don't drink enough,. but I don't go thirsty either and I wouldn't drink water for the sake of it.
What I do is squeeze a couple of oranges or make lemonade if I happen to be thirsty or have a glass of pure apple juice.

I certainly couldn't drink water if it's been standing all night.

BradfordLass73 Tue 18-Feb-20 19:53:43

Talking about things dropping into water glasses. Every summer, at least one black field cricket gets into my house and seems to gravitate to the bathroom to find water.

This week, a cricket decided it prefered my bedroom and has been crich-criching all darned night.

I didn't have any hope of seeing it, let alone catching it to put outside, so just had to put up with its noisy companionship. Let's hope it moves on or gives up the ghost.

Last night it tried to share my pillow - perhaps its the reincarnation of my dear husband (he had very black hair) smile so I'll be kind to it.

SueDonim Tue 18-Feb-20 19:56:46

Oh dear, I don’t think I’d like to share my sleeping space with one of those, BradfordLass!

Moocow Tue 18-Feb-20 20:51:12

You're very brave bradfordlass are you not scared by spiders either?

I often have a bottle of water to drink the next morning during the hot months. Never been ill from it.

Riverwalk Tue 18-Feb-20 21:32:51

I don't know how water that's been sitting at your bedside overnight would be any staler than if it had been sitting in the water pipes in your house, street, town .....

EllanVannin Tue 18-Feb-20 21:43:07

My mum used to have a cup of boiled water with PLJ in it every morning. Remember PLJ ?

gillybob Tue 18-Feb-20 21:43:45

I take a glass of lemonade to bed every night. It must be Schweppes and it has to be sugar free . I’d don’t always drink it but it HAS to be there .

midnightschild Tue 18-Feb-20 21:46:22

I always take a glass of water to bed and usually drink at least half of it. I take a fresh glass every night. DH takes a glass up and since he doesn’t drink out of it often he will sometimes keep the same one for maybe 3 nights. I have tried to tell him I think that is gross, but he is completely unperturbed! For a while we used water in bottles, but I read that once opened the bottle should not be kept for more than 3 nights and I stuck to that whereas he felt it was fine to keep it until he finished it, could be ages. He seems to have an iron constitution. They do say something about eating a peck of dirt before you die....

Also - penis beaker ??? best thing ever!,

annep1 Tue 18-Feb-20 23:00:20

Water in a glass tastes funny next morning. I prefer it in a bottle. I used to use a carafe. I wash the bottle and refill every day.

I would absolutely never drink water from the bathroom tap. It comes from a tank in the attic.

Callistemon Tue 18-Feb-20 23:07:37

Ours used to come from a tank in the attic but it comes straight from the mains now since we were replumbed.

sue421 Tue 18-Feb-20 23:11:16

I have just read the link to mumsnet...thanks for the laughs. Never gave it a thought back in the day!