Gransnet forums

Health

Drinking a glass of water that has stood bedside overnight

(115 Posts)
Cunco Tue 18-Feb-20 15:25:51

I was always told as a child (a long time ago) not to drink a glass of water that has stood bedside overnight. At my ripe old age now, I invariably do. I have 'googled' and found lots of reasons why it might not taste fresh or even be slightly off; but has anyone in the UK, or place of similar climate, ever been made ill by drinking this 'stale' water? I haven't and was wondering whether anyone else has.

varian Wed 19-Feb-20 19:50:44

What religion Fennel?

SunnySusie Wed 19-Feb-20 20:55:33

I sometimes take a glass of water to bed with me and it stands around for three or four days before I drink it. I admit it tends to be a bit dusty, but its never made me ill. I have also swigged down a glass of water only to be told by my giggling family that the cat had already drunk some of it. Never been ill from that either.

Washerwoman Thu 20-Feb-20 08:19:22

I always drink it the next morning if I haven't during the night.Never a problem and a waste to throw it away.However a friend always puts a lovely little carafe with a matching upturned glass over it on the bedside table when I stay and I keep meaning to buy one each for DH and I.This has reminded me.

jenpax Thu 20-Feb-20 08:32:12

I drink my water from a reusable cup with a lid so I know nothing has fallen into the water? I am a little odd anyway regarding things like this so maybe my view isn’t the norm??‍♀️

Fennel Thu 20-Feb-20 12:13:11

varian it's a branch of Judaism which goes more into the mystical aspects of everyday life than the practical ones that we follow.
You've maybe heard of Kabbalah?
There are several branches of Judaism, as with Islam and Christianity. And other religions probably.

timetogo2016 Thu 20-Feb-20 12:17:52

I was told by my Doctor that you should never drink a glass of water after it has stood for 20 minutes as it will have harmful bacteria in.
So I fill a small bottle and take that to bed.

MamaCaz Thu 20-Feb-20 12:29:33

Makes me think of those expensive bottled waters, such as those that have been naturally filtered through glacial rocks for over 15 years.
I reckon that if they are still ok after 15 years, a few more hours overnight on the bedside table is unlikely to cause any problems, grin

curvygran950 Thu 20-Feb-20 17:41:36

When was this, timetogo2016?
Was it in the UK?

Callistemon Thu 20-Feb-20 17:44:22

Me neither MamaCaz!

In fact, it it's tap water it often tastes chlorinated unless it has stood for a while, or been filtered.
Filtered water sometimes tastes rather flat to me.

varian Thu 20-Feb-20 19:24:32

That's interesting Fennel. It seems that those who set out the laws of religion so long ago might have been onto something, like the prohibition of pork and prawns at a time when there were no fridges in hot countries (or anywhere else)

cas58 Fri 21-Feb-20 21:19:55

I too use a water bottle. I can wake up with a dry throat. It can be by my bed for three days/nights. It's just something to wet my whistle at night.

BlueSky Sat 22-Feb-20 11:24:21

Well after reading this thread I've googled it and apparently a glass of sparkling water is better than a glass of tap water. Anyway I've always taken a glass of water bottled or tap up to bed for as a long as I can remember with no ill effects! I usually drink it all otherwise I will have fresh water for the following night.

lemongrove Sat 22-Feb-20 20:08:57

Well Cunco ? that turned out to be an interesting and amusing thread didn’t it?
I always take a glass of water for my bedside table, but also always cover it with a coaster ( alarming thoughts of floating insects being slurped down the throat in the thirsty small hours). I always drink most of it, but get rid of what’s left the next morning anyway.

Hamp75 Sun 23-Feb-20 22:48:48

I keep water by the bed.. Having rhinitis I get a blocked nose and nasal drip to the back of my throat which can make me cough. Also mouth breathing causes a dry mouth.