Gransnet forums

Health

Coronavirus Precautions

(34 Posts)
Cunco Mon 02-Mar-20 09:51:22

Apologies if this has been said before but as a precaution against passing the coronavirus from hand to hand, would it not be sensible to tap a credit or debit card rather than pay by cash and receive change? If the circulation of currency carries a risk, this would seem to be an obvious precaution to add to hand washing and cough catching. What do you think?

Guineagirl Mon 09-Mar-20 07:41:00

I had a cold last week I wear mittens, have always used hand gel and wipes so there you go I swear it was a lady sat too close to me when out mmmm maybe a face mask might of stopped that but who knows so obviously I breathed it in. I’m terrible for touching my face too, even leaning on my elbow with hand touching face. I didn’t realise I did it as much as I do.

Marelli Mon 09-Mar-20 08:51:45

We are booked to go to a hotel in the Highlands for my 70th. DH has a degree of pulmonary fibrosis - not massively affected as yet, and is not breathless, but does have a violent cough. I've made the decision to cancel the break for now. I would think that the fibrosis is bound to make him more vulnerable to the Coronavirus and the fact that he's 80 would add to that. Perhaps if we self-catered it might be safer, but I think we're doing the right thing by cancelling for now.

Sparklefizz Mon 09-Mar-20 09:10:08

Marelli In my opinion you are doing the right thing. It's no use being wise after the event.

Marelli Mon 09-Mar-20 09:24:10

Thanks for that, Sparklefizz. I just really wasn't sure what to do, but I think we're making the right decision.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 09-Mar-20 09:46:04

Sifting false information about protecting against coronavirus from valid information it's worth checking out 'Myths about Coronovirus' on the WHO site at who.int.
This gives evidence based information.

Marydoll Mon 09-Mar-20 11:04:42

Latest news from the Vatican, which I think is very sensible.

ROME - On Sunday evening the Italian bishops’ conference announced the suspension of all public Masses and liturgical celebrations until April 3 amid growing fears surrounding the coronavirus outbreak, after the Italian government ordered the closure of all cinemas, museums and theatres.

In a March 8 statement, the bishops cited a decree issued by the Presidency of the Council of Ministers in Italy signed the same day stipulating that effective immediately, “civil and religious ceremonies, including funeral ceremonies, are suspended at a preventative level throughout the country until Friday, April 3.

Noting that the decree causes “suffering and difficulty” for both priests and faithful, the bishops insisted that the directive was accepted by the conference “solely by the desire to do its part, also in this situation, to contribute to the protection of public health.”

For Montalbano fans, Luca Zingaretto's brother, Nicola the president of Lazio has contracted Coronavirus.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 09-Mar-20 13:59:16

funeral ceremonies, are suspended.... I wonder how this works, particularly in a very religious country? Are private non religious burials taking place?

Marydoll Mon 09-Mar-20 15:39:12

Civil and religious ceremonies are suspended, including funerals.
I'm not sure how you would deal with the funerals, what happens to the deceased, especially if infected?