Gransnet forums

Health

Loo roll shortages/panic buying

(169 Posts)
Nonogran Sat 07-Mar-20 14:32:56

I read an article today about how to cleanse ones nether regions in the absence of loo roll due to panic buying. The article suggested that a bottle of water could be directed at the parts to be cleansed but to me, seemed a "hit & miss' solution. In the past and sometimes present I have found it more helpful to keep a small (dedicated) washing up bowl in the bathroom, small enough to fit into the toilet bowl with lid and seat lifted. Fill bowl with warm water, place within the circumference of toilet porcelain and use as one would a bidet. Clean and comfy without recourse to loo roll. Hope this helps if there's a paper crisis on your local area?

bikergran Sat 07-Mar-20 19:11:58

I knew my unused BBQ napkins would come in useful one day, they also have a pretty picture on grin makes things more interesting in the bathroom hmm

Grandmafrench Sat 07-Mar-20 19:29:30

Any kind of problem stomach is not mentioned as a symptom when reading about Covid-19, so, as the loo roll shopping panic is real and out of control, I can only guess that people think buying up loo rolls is much cheaper than using tissues for all the coughing, sneezing, nose-blowing which is a feature of the illness. Otherwise none of it makes sense!

SpringyChicken Sat 07-Mar-20 19:29:44

When the day comes that our stock of loo rolls runs low and IF they’re unavailable in the shops, we’re going to put the old nappy bucket in the loo with a pile of cotton rags (old T-shirts cut into pieces) to use as dabbers after a wee. The loo rolls will be saved for the more nitty gritty tasks. I reckon one loo roll can be eked out for quite a while in this way.

Willow500 Sat 07-Mar-20 19:30:37

I was in the chemist this morning picking up my prescription and a young woman came in to see if they had any hand sanitiser (they didn't). She said it's totally crazy as no shops had any - she wasn't panic buying and only wanted one bottle as she's going to the airport tomorrow to fly to a conference which will have attendees from all over the world (except Italy!!). The chemist said due to airline restrictions of liquids the airport shops will probably have some. We both said just don't shake hands and plenty of hand washing.

I did the weekly shop at the large out of town Tescos yesterday - there were plenty of supplies of toilet rolls but anti bac hand soap and sanitiser were out of stock - some bread flour was too. I wasn't out to buy it anyway but as my husband has just had a big operation I did get some Dettol hard soap in our local £1 shop today for him to shower with. Last thing we need is for him to have a wound infection and need medical treatment!

GagaJo Sat 07-Mar-20 23:03:00

If you think supermarkets should only sell one pack, why did you buy 5, 3nanny6?

BlueSky Sat 07-Mar-20 23:33:45

Shops should ration loo paper to 1 pack per person asap to stop all this nonsense!

bikergran Sun 08-Mar-20 08:17:50

Rationing doesn't really work as such.

I know! that when we have certain things that are limited to say 6 or 3 per customer. if they really really want it, all they do is they get family friends to come in , go to different checkouts each time and hey presto you have your large supply, we have the sinarion with cooking oil (yes cooking oil) when on offer it is limited to 3 of the giant big bottles. all people do is send one of the other members of the family to buy another 3 etc etc etc .

It was once the same with Terrys choc orange, a limit of 6 per customer as they were at 50p each.

I've not been in work all week but not heard seen any kind of rationing with toilet rolls/hand gel etc. as yet.

Pittcity Sun 08-Mar-20 08:37:24

FYI wink

Greyduster Sun 08-Mar-20 08:47:43

?

Ginny42 Sun 08-Mar-20 08:58:25

I can understand people buying paracetamol to treat the onset of a cold/flu before involving the medics. I bought some for that purpose. If I start with a headache and aches I'll take some and see whether it's just a cold or whatever.

Toilet rolls? No idea why people are assuming they will need dozens of rolls. confused

B9exchange Sun 08-Mar-20 09:02:08

Given that French bathrooms all have bidets, perhaps we should ditch the booze cruises and pop over there to stock up on loo rolls instead? (I am joking, before anyone starts looking for passports.......!) grin

Franbern Sun 08-Mar-20 09:06:26

3nanny6 = you purchased 30 loo rolls and so did you daughter and then say panic buying is silly!!!
How long do you think that those thirty rolls will last? Most of this year I should imagine. Why did you not just buy ONE pack of six rolls?

inishowen Sun 08-Mar-20 09:14:12

Plenty of loo roll,in our Spar yesterday. There is no shortage. Its selfish people at their worst.

M0nica Sun 08-Mar-20 09:16:39

There are so many alternatives to loo pape: tissues, kitchen towel, newspaper, even a sponge kept in a bowl of dinfectant. One sponge/J cloth/piece of fabric and one bowl of disinfect and water per person. No different from having a nappy bucket!

Aepgirl Sun 08-Mar-20 09:18:56

There wouldn’t be a shortage of anything if people weren’t so selfish to think that they need stocks for evermore.

polnan Sun 08-Mar-20 09:19:51

I completely fail to understand the panic buying of toilet rolls,,

can anyone explain?

I couldn`t get my usual paracetomol, sold out.. I use these tablets regularly for pain control...

don`t want any hand sanitiser,, I wash my hands...

people are strange... but the media .. words fail me.

Pittcity Sun 08-Mar-20 09:22:10

I'd love an automated loo that washes and blow dries!!
The one hand for cleansing yourself with water and the other for eating system looks good too.

Babs758 Sun 08-Mar-20 09:26:03

My local waitrose yesterday had run out of loo paper, paracetamol tablets and, wait for it, Manuka Honey which sells at £50 a jar. Good grief!

JenniferEccles Sun 08-Mar-20 09:28:06

I am also completely mystified by the panic buying of loo rolls.

I can only think that people are confusing the coronavirus with norovirus.

Coronavirus as far as I am aware doesn’t cause diarrhoea unlike norovirus.

Shops will soon have to enforce rules won’t they?

minxie Sun 08-Mar-20 09:29:08

Why would you buy 5 packets of six toilets rolls (panic buying) and then say you think panic buying is wrong
Buy what you need and stop being selfish, then there would be plenty for everyone

harrigran Sun 08-Mar-20 09:29:19

30 toilet rolls, probably last the rest of the year

Not in my household, we get through four rolls a week, I aim to keep a four week supply in the house as we do not shop very often.

Moggycuddler Sun 08-Mar-20 09:33:47

Can still order packs of 52 loo rolls on Amazon. In fact I did, just to be on the safe side! Can keep them in the shed. I saw that the online order delivery slots on Tesco were all booked up for 3 days, when usually you can order the day before without any problem.

Essex59 Sun 08-Mar-20 09:35:40

No, the Guardian, the Independent, and the Huffington post, all make great substitutes for loo rolls ?

Pepine Sun 08-Mar-20 09:37:59

Plenty here to order from - and it helps build loos in developing countries! uk.whogivesacrap.org/

EllanVannin Sun 08-Mar-20 09:43:40

Ah well the Christmas serviettes might come in handy rather than hoarding until this next Christmas. Any port in a storm.