Gransnet forums

Health

Antibacterial products for a virus - really??

(39 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Sun 08-Mar-20 21:20:43

Can someone explain to me exactly why people are panic-buying antibacterial hand gels etc? The coronavirus is a VIRUS (the clue is in the name), not a BACTERIUM!! Soap and water is what we need. In the meantime, hospitals and health centres need antibacterial gels because they need to protect us from bacterial infection - E Coli, to give just one example - and just because there is an extra virus around does not mean that bacterial diseases have disappeared.

Debz7172 Sun 08-Mar-20 21:28:03

You can use an anti bacterial gel to kill the Coronavirus as long as it has at least 80% alcohol content

Wheniwasyourage Sun 08-Mar-20 21:33:02

Yes, but why not use either soap and water or, as has been suggested on another thread, vodka? That would leave the antibacterial hand gel for places which really need it.

Septimia Sun 08-Mar-20 21:37:00

Exactly!!

Hetty58 Sun 08-Mar-20 21:39:09

Vodka isn't strong enough:

www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_Local_Production.pdf

Hetty58 Sun 08-Mar-20 21:41:22

I heard someone say that they won't get pneumonia because they've had the vaccine (against bacterial pneumonia - not viral)!

Doodledog Sun 08-Mar-20 21:44:23

You can't use soap and water when you are out and about, eg on public transport, and many people are disgusting when it comes to personal hygiene at the best of times.

I have always carried a tiny bottle of hand sanitiser in my bag, but can't get any just now. I don't think that it is responsible to buy huge quantities of it, though - people with compromised immune systems (eg chemotherapy patients) actually need this stuff, and can't get it because of idiots who have bought it by the dozen.

SueDonim Sun 08-Mar-20 21:46:28

I don’t condone panic-buying but anti-bacterial gels serve a purpose. It’s not always possible to access soap & water when one is out and about and touching things like hand rails, pin-pads, trolleys and so on.

Coronavirus is killed by gels with a high enough alcohol content so they do work.

I’m not sure anyone has suggested that bacterial diseases have disappeared. What a strange idea. confused

etheltbags1 Sun 08-Mar-20 21:55:34

An old man asked an assistant in asda for some bacterial gel and she told him they were out of stock, he replied that he had a dozen or so at home but his wife had sent him for more. The assist told me many people are the same. Annoying to think they will be binned after this scare.

DoraMarr Sun 08-Mar-20 22:10:53

This from the New York Times:

Coronaviruses are relatively easy to destroy, Professor Whittaker said. Using a simple disinfectant on a surface is nearly guaranteed to break the delicate envelope that surrounds the tiny microbe, rendering it harmless.

I’ve read the same elsewhere. I don’t think WHO, the NHS , the CDC and other agencies would be repeating the advice to wash our hands if there was no point.

Doodledog Sun 08-Mar-20 22:20:29

The annoying thing is that when people buy up all the gel, they are preventing others from using it, so increasing their own chances of getting the virus.

BlueBelle Sun 08-Mar-20 22:30:23

If you’re worried about your hands when out and about keep your gloves on
If disinfectants kill the virus can’t we just put dettol on our hands

EllanVannin Sun 08-Mar-20 22:42:34

Ordinary soap and water is sufficient to wash a virus away. Those gels etc don't even work on norovirus.
All I've got is a bottle of Dettol for handles and doorknobs.

Carbolic handwash if you can get it.

Lilypops Sun 08-Mar-20 22:54:35

I just bought two hand wash yesterday , one for the house and one for the car for when I have been out shopping touching handles on trolleys etc , I did buy Wrights coal tar soap too, I don't know if it any prevention against the coronavirus but it smells good and clean ,

gillybob Sun 08-Mar-20 22:55:58

It’s annoying me too Doodledog . My DH has a compromised immune system and has been advised to use hand gel in public places including hospital (where he picked up the HAI germs that almost killed him) . I always keep a small bottle in my handbag and a larger bottle at home but have been unable to get any at all. You can’t carry a sink, soap and hot water around with you and hospital door handles are probably some of the worst places.

BradfordLass73 Sun 08-Mar-20 23:59:51

I've just made a batch of my own but I know it's not going to protect against a virus!! grin

Nevertheless, if people get a feeling of comfort and safety from spraying themsevles and every surface with an anti-bacterial wash, it can't be entirely wasted.

Fiachna50 Mon 09-Mar-20 00:37:35

I cannot get hand gel anywhere. I have respiratory and autoimmune conditions. Thanks to all the selfish sods out there, myself and many others like me will probably become ill. It's folk like that selfish sh** of an old man that really p* me off. Sorry, but Im very angry with the likes of him that think of no one but themselves.

CherryCezzy Mon 09-Mar-20 04:08:09

Covid 19 is a HCID (highly contagious infective disease) and is spread by contact with infected fluids. This means that infected nasal or oral fluids can infect another person if they come into physical contact with the infected fluids. The best protection from a HCID is to create a barrier to that contact. Using a hand gel with a high alcohol content acts as a disinfectant. It is important to use this disinfectant regularly when you are likely to touch any unseen fluid that might contain the infection. That is why the advice is to disinfect, avoid touching your eyes, mouth or nose before and after possible contact.

craftyone Mon 09-Mar-20 06:59:32

we are going to reap the rewards of public toilet closures, no-where to give hands a good wash when out, except if in one of the few remaining areas which kept a good clean washroom

CherryCezzy Mon 09-Mar-20 07:34:29

For anyone in a vulnerable category, I know this may sound a little strange but if you dye your hair and happen to have an unused sealed packet of gloves you could always tape them down with micropore or a similar medical tape when touching anything in places like supermarkets etc. If you have medical gloves in the home you can take with you when you go out, all the better. When you take them off, don't touch them with your bare hands, use a tissue or kitchen roll etc and discard all. It may look a little strange but some people need to wear medical gloves or similar when they are out and about all the time whether there is a nasty contagion around or not.

CherryCezzy Mon 09-Mar-20 07:41:01

The messages I have given are not meant to scare anyone. Just remember the old adage - coughs and sneezes spread diseases and why they do. Simple precautions, simple solutions. No need to panic.

craftyone Mon 09-Mar-20 07:43:41

It is partly about logistics eg the few parcels that will be arriving this week. Delivery drivers who are self employed and cannot/will not self-isolate. The cardboard, the carrying in, the placement while using a knife to slit them open. Opening the dishwasher door, opening envelopes. I am no longer going to put any of these on a table, will use the floor, then dispose of the wrapping, then spray all handles and surfaces with disinfectant spray

It is extreme I know it is, I am abandoning hand dishwashing today, its not hot enough. Same spray can be carried for use on car door handle, steering wheel and car keys. Does not have to be a virucidal gel, they were marketed because they were convenient. A small spray bottle would work

CherryCezzy Mon 09-Mar-20 07:51:13

Yes crafyone a spray bottle like they often have on reception desks in a medical centre etc.

CherryCezzy Mon 09-Mar-20 07:53:56

Oops my apologies for the typo craftyone

M0nica Mon 09-Mar-20 08:16:44

I bought some anti-viral hand wipes, or so they say.