Gransnet forums

Health

Antibacterial products for a virus - really??

(40 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Sun 08-Mar-20 21:20:43

Can someone explain to me exactly why people are panic-buying antibacterial hand gels etc? The coronavirus is a VIRUS (the clue is in the name), not a BACTERIUM!! Soap and water is what we need. In the meantime, hospitals and health centres need antibacterial gels because they need to protect us from bacterial infection - E Coli, to give just one example - and just because there is an extra virus around does not mean that bacterial diseases have disappeared.

craftyone Mon 09-Mar-20 08:30:47

I have put a small thick cotton cloth into a ziplock bag. That will be my wiper cloth

CherryCezzy Mon 09-Mar-20 08:36:18

If they contain alcohol they should be ok M0nica Some hand wipes do and others don't.

Urmstongran Mon 09-Mar-20 08:55:02

Wear gloves outside, don’t touch your face at all (!) and once back home soap and hot water for at least 20 seconds.

Sparklefizz Mon 09-Mar-20 09:06:53

..... and be careful how you remove the gloves.

Sparklefizz Mon 09-Mar-20 09:08:04

Zoflora is a nice flowery smelling disinfectant which states that it kills viruses. I am going to mix some into a spray bottle to use when out and about for trolley handles, etc.

Grandmafrench Mon 09-Mar-20 09:10:30

I’ve always kept a spray in my bag and in the car for my hands after supermarket trolleys if I can’t wash hands. Now I wear latex gloves to shop and bin them outside the supermarket. Certainly not foolproof but cuts down some of the more obvious risks. France has run out of gel....though easy to make our own with right ingredients......but Government has authorised all Pharmacies to make and sell their own now - and fixed the price they can charge. A small but helpful move.

Grandmafrench Mon 09-Mar-20 09:14:15

Always used Zoflora, lovely choice of smells and it’s so cheap! But, do remember that it’s not safe for animals. So only let them near an area you,ve sprayed or used it when it’s dry.

TerriBull Mon 09-Mar-20 09:44:59

I was having this conversation with my son yesterday who works up in central London as to the need for anti bacterial hand wash, he laughingly said might as well carry a small bottle of high volume alcohol in the absence of not being able to get hold of any and wipe that round our hands. Anyway I've ordered some cotton gloves off Amazon, there are quite a few in the packet so i'll drop them in disinfectant before I wash them.

Having seen pictures on line of arse wipes of selfish people staggering out of shops loaded to the gunnels with arse wipes toilet rolls I do think they might spare a thought for those with certain medical conditions that really need such a product and then there is none left for them. For the average person who doesn't have any such problems there would be a way round the situation, soap and water and disposable flannel if you had no other choice, or simply dip your rear end in bath or shower in the absence of a bidet in most homes. The "I'm alright Jack pull up the ladder" attitude is shocking shock Lack of toilet rolls won't kill us we would all have to think of other solutions, it's not as if they've been around since the time of William the Conqueror or before!

Barmeyoldbat Mon 09-Mar-20 10:20:37

I have bought some large detail wipes for cleaning surfaces. I put one a plastic bag when I go out and use it to wipe my hands, open the toilet door etc. Also wearing gloves.

Ginny42 Mon 09-Mar-20 10:44:20

I was just going to write the same Barmeyoldbat. I've bought the large wipes advertised as 'kills 99.9% of bacteria, including E.coli, salmonella and MRSA', so that is worth doing anyway when we're out and about. I've cut one into small pieces and popped them in a make-up bag. Whenever I need to wipe a surface I'll use one of those.

The cashier in Tesco looked at me as though I'm a barmey old bat when I keyed in my card number with my car key. Those key pads must be nasty at the best of times.

Willow500 Mon 09-Mar-20 10:53:43

I bought some sprays to protect against Norovirus last year which I've kept in the car to use after shopping so have put one in my bag. I've always washed my hands after coming home as supermarket trolley handles are notoriously covered in germs. I also never touch escalators or handrails much to my husband's worry - he's convinced I'll have an accident one day grin I've also filled some spray bottles with Zoflora to use at home - I stocked up on that at Christmas when they brought out the seasonal fragrances so haven't panic bought it for Corona. In fact I haven't panic bought anything.

My GD and DIL's both work for Tescos and GD came home last night saying they are now restricting some items such as loo rolls, pasta and paracetamols to customers - about time too. All shops now need to do this to avoid those selfish folks stockpiling. angry

BlueSky Mon 09-Mar-20 11:15:04

Definitely time for shops to limit sale of specific items, even though people who are able to will visit multiple shops every day.

JenniferEccles Mon 09-Mar-20 11:43:11

Meanwhile some good news.
The number of new cases in China is continuing to fall.

Sparklefizz Mon 09-Mar-20 11:51:54

I wish we were being as vigilant as China, Jennifer E and then our cases would not be rising. I see we are still allowing flights from Northern Italy. Sigh.