Gransnet forums

Health

Coronavirus - the lecture

(33 Posts)
MawB Fri 13-Mar-20 22:01:34

I was sympathising with an 81 year- old friend whose son had
rather firmly barred her from visiting her 89year-old husband who has Alzheimer’s and is in hospital awaiting a nursing home bed. Clearly visiting a hospital has risks both for the patients and the visitors and my friend’s DH doesn’t know who she is anymore which is very sad. We all pretended to laugh it off but were also distinctly miffed at how the AC generation are bossing us around.
Yes it might be kindly intentioned but it is also demoralising to be told you are old,you are in the at risk group , you must not do x, y and z.
Then I got a similar lecture from DD - Mum you have to stop pretending you are invincible!
I do appreciate their concern , but feel I am old enough and experienced enough to be sensible without needing “the lecture”. One of our younger posters showed similar tendencies - so is it just an age thing?
Have you had it? What did you reply?

curvygran950 Sat 14-Mar-20 09:49:39

Juliet27, I feel for you .Both my sons in Australia are keeping in touch more regularly,which is wonderful. But oh how I wish they were closer. ! They are more worried about us than themselves and feel the distance between us too . They’ve both had to cancel visits to us for this year which is hugely upsetting. So to those who are being ‘lectured’ by their children ( if they are nearby) I say ‘please appreciate how lucky you are that they aren’t the other side of the world and that they care!’
Stay well ,everyone!

Callistemon Sat 14-Mar-20 09:51:59

To clarify, I haven't had lectures, rather, when I told DS that I was going to a funeral next week, he said 'you may want to re-think that'. I did rethink, will sit at the back and not go to the wake.
DH has had advice to cancel meetings but nothing as yet from U3A.

Daisymae Sat 14-Mar-20 09:52:12

No, not really. Phone call from my son yesterday which started with 'are you well' which was a bit odd. Later on in the conversation he said that I probably shouldn't be going out, which is not too difficult!

MawB Sat 14-Mar-20 09:52:57

not really sure what this isolation thing is about - appears to me just to be a delaying tactic.
Isn’t that the point Franbern, delaying the spread until the flu season is behind us and the NHS is better able to cope?
The “sombrero” graph?

Callistemon Sat 14-Mar-20 09:56:14

Yes, it is a public health strategy and seems sensible.

Franbern Sat 14-Mar-20 09:59:05

Unless all the private hospitals, etc. are taken into public ownership for the length of this panademic, do not think that 'delaying' is going to help much in easing up for NHS.
As there is such a shortage of beds, even larger shortage of nurses, there is now no time of the year that NHS can 'be better able to cope'.
My mind says, if I am going to get it (and maybe due to age, etc. need medical care) probably best to get it sooner rather than later.
Do wish that all the news reports which so happily tell us of how many new cases each day, and how many fatalities would also include the numbers of those that have made a total recovery from this virus. At present they just seem to be fuelling the panic.

janeainsworth Sat 14-Mar-20 11:23:59

Update: DD FaceTimed this morning, and suggested, in a mildly forceful tone, that we shouldn’t visit in 2 weeks’ time.
She also asked whether I had thought of online grocery shopping, but in a rhetorical question sort of way.