Gransnet forums

Health

This 'vulnerable' label ----

(90 Posts)
ExD Fri 27-Mar-20 10:37:54

There has been so much emphasis on isolating over 70s we seem to have missed that other people are just as likely to catch this virus. The very young seem to be very caring about us staying at home and getting other people to do our shopping etc - but they're forgetting that they are not immune, just less likely to become really ill, and frankly some of them seem to carrying on as though their lives haven't changed - except that the shop shelves are empty.
I do think we should emphasise that everyone whatever their age can become ill and that everyone should be self isolating unless their work is essential. I think the over 70s have got the message now.
Otherwise it will continue to spread.

notanan2 Fri 27-Mar-20 10:41:15

Who is carrying on as if live hasnt changed?

Everything is shut
People are either out of work, adjusting to WFH or keyworkers whose jobs have changed beyond recognition from how they worked a couple of weeks ago.

Who are these people with unchanged lives?

Its only on GN that Ive heard whiffs of people carrying on as normal e.g. buying hobby supplies..

BlueSky Fri 27-Mar-20 11:04:56

I think that the younger generation will get the message as news of younger people with no pre-existing conditions falling ill come in.

GagaJo Fri 27-Mar-20 11:25:00

I live in the NE and there are STILL issues about the amounts of people visiting the coast and countryside.

Not to mention the helicopters that fly over, to police the idiots still out and about in groups.

ExD Fri 27-Mar-20 11:48:12

Its the behaviour of some young people that concerns me - to my mind they don't seem to realise they too can catch coronavirus - not just we golden oldies.
I'm in the Lake district - and really don't want to get on my soap box and start describing the behaviour of 30 - 40 year olds with children who have self isolated in their holiday homes, and are behaving as though the countryside is a playpark where they can mix as they please in the fresh air.
Groups of two, we're told, unless a family group, should go for a walk/run/etc ONCE a day (don't ask me why its just once) but not groups of young people in canoes on the river.
Sorry to being such an old grump.
Just because you meet someone on the shores of Ullswater in the open air doesn't mean you can't pass on or catch virus.
Most young people are being very sensible, but a few are being very irresponsible and self deluding.

blondenana Tue 07-Apr-20 11:19:37

notanan2 have you not seen police moving people on, on beaches in parks etc on TV
It seems to be mostly young people who are flouting the rules, several here been moved on, after cycling groups getting together,and having parties in each others house or flats, perfect breeding grounds for a virus

notanan2 Tue 07-Apr-20 11:29:42

notanan2 have you not seen police moving people on, on beaches in parks etc on TV

I have seen misleading OLD footage of local beauty spots used on the news/media and even the local police have stated that its misleading and their drone footage of the area shows people following the rules!

Callistemon Tue 07-Apr-20 11:42:45

I'ce bought hobby supplies.

I can't see what is wrong with that; I have been told that delivery may be slower than usual because of implementing safer working conditions. If such firms did shut for the duration there may well not be jobs for peoplemtomreturn tomafter this is over.

I have not been out but I know people who still do. And I could hear the jolly roar of dozens of motorbikes speeding round our roads at the weekend.

They are the ones who should be stopped and anyone else who flouts the rules.

Missfoodlove Tue 07-Apr-20 13:27:21

ExD, I can understand how you feel particularly living where you do.
My Godson is a Police Officer based in the Lakes and has been astonished at the behaviour of many people.

Apart from putting people and themselves at risk it seems unfair that second home owners could take a much needed ventilator from a local person.

My 24 year olds has had to endure a month+ of a much more rigid lockdown in the Czech Republic, he is working from home and lives alone so
it’s been a hard few weeks but he has got on with it.
So seeing neighbours clearly flouting the rules is upsetting.

Staying in is a walk in the park compared to what previous generations have had to endure.
It is inconsiderate and arrogant behaviour to break the rules yet if these people get ill they will receive the same treatment as those of us who did as we were asked.

notanan2 Tue 07-Apr-20 13:31:17

I'ce bought hobby supplies.

I can't see what is wrong with that;

Well "no non essential journeys" doesnt just include journeys you take yourself, it also includes journeys you ask others to take on your behalf.

Delivery companies cant triage this for you.
E.g. a new sink: how do they know the difference between someone who just fancies a refurb and someone whose only sink is broken?

They cant specify what is/isnt essential the onus is on the petson ordering.

Is your delivery really an essential journey?

Chewbacca Tue 07-Apr-20 13:36:01

Police moved on a large group of 14/15 year old boys from our local woodland last night. They'd been congregating for the past few evenings to ride their bikes on grass tracks. I can't work out where their parents thought their kids were night after night.

notanan2 Tue 07-Apr-20 13:45:18

Well coronavirus is less scary than some peoples homs lives

But the media has hugely inflated reports of people congregating by using old photographs etc. Local police forces have been THANKING the public for the levels of compliance they are seeing

growstuff Tue 07-Apr-20 18:31:33

I haven't seen anybody congregating outside because I haven't been out and I live in a cul de sac. To be honest, I've hardly seen anybody at all - even from a distance. I've had a supermarket and an Amazon delivery and I'm waiting for some medication to be delivered. I don't watch TV, but I do belong to local Facebook groups. With very few exceptions, people are saying how responsible everybody is. The only complaints seem to be about dog walkers who are leaving more poo than usual.

growstuff Tue 07-Apr-20 18:33:00

And I've been outside the house to a communal car park to turn my car engine over.

Hetty58 Tue 07-Apr-20 18:55:15

I've seen plenty of people ignoring the rules around here. A running group in the forest emerged near the road, split into couples, then ran to the pavement. Us dog walkers saw them, although they were obviously wary of passing police cars.

A few people were openly lying sunbathing on the green today. A group of teenagers congregated in a garage opposite the end of my garden, smoking weed and listening to music, on Sunday, until I shouted at them.

People nearby have several visitors frequently for parties and barbeques in their gardens. Their children and grandchildren visit. Yes, I've reported them. Whether the police have had a word, I don't know. If they have, it's made no difference. i just despair, I really do.

grannysyb Tue 07-Apr-20 19:11:43

Live near a royal park, walked this afternoon, everyone seemed to be fully complying with social distancing, feel very fortunate to have such a lovely space nearby, and also to have our little garden. It must be awful to be cooped up in a flat with small children.

Chewbacca Tue 07-Apr-20 19:25:25

I posted earlier today about a group of young boys riding their bikes in local woodland. About an hour ago, an air ambulance helicopter landed in an adjoining field and airlifted one of the boys away. He's apparently broken his legs whilst doing stunt jumps over fallen tree branches. Just what the NHS needs right now. angry

M0nica Tue 07-Apr-20 20:10:00

notanan I can only assume you have unassailably perfect mental health under all conditions. Most people do not live in large roomy houses with large gardens. Many are cooped up in small flats or houses with all their family or on their own. If they are in the 'shielded' group they are stuck indoors 24/7 for three months, if they are socially distancing, mooching around the local streets for an hours exercise is no compensation for the 23 hour lock down that follows.

We know the effect 23 hour lock downs have in prison, it is worse at home and under those circumstances for most people, though obviously not for you, their mental health begins to suffer. If doing craft, or DIY or gardening helps them keep them happy and occupied instead of slumped on a settee watching endless box sets and eating, then every single item ordered is an essential.

JenniferEccles Tue 07-Apr-20 22:52:22

I agree MOnica

I also don’t see what is wrong with people driving to tend their allotment if it isn’t within walking distance.

The vegetables grown could well ensure one fewer supermarket shop.

Despite all the criticisms of people allegedly flouting the rules, we can surely all see by the much quieter roads and semi deserted streets that most people ARE staying at home for a considerable part of each day.

Sussexborn Wed 08-Apr-20 01:25:05

We walk once a day mainly on back routes. The occasional people we see all adhere to the 6’ apart and most make wider gaps.

ExD. Once a day seems a sensible rule. If we could double or triple the outings it would be much more difficult with more people out and not being able to keep a safe distance.

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 10:49:18

MOnica what about the mental health of the shop/warehouse/delivery workers.

Many including royal mail, boohoo, holland and barrett have gone to their unions in droves about the effects on them and their mental health of having to put themselves at risk so people can buy non essentials

grannysyb Wed 08-Apr-20 12:31:46

We have an allotment, drive to it most days as DH can't walk there, its a mile away. There aren't any on line slots available locally,so I am still going to the supermarket.

M0nica Wed 08-Apr-20 12:41:44

notanan I have no idea how we can balance the metal health needs of those stuck at home against the physical health of those in work. Reputable firms will be taking all proper precautions to protect their staff.

Many online firms are one man and a dog (or one woman and a cat) operations, so there is no danger.

How would you split the demands for both sides? Bearing in mind that for 95% plus of the population, especially those under 50, Covid-19 will be a mild illness, while mental illnesses can stay with people for a lifetime.

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:45:06

If it is essential enough to you that you would put yourself or your loved one at risk to get it, then that is a good rule of thumb.

If you wouldnt risk you or yours to get it, you dont need it enough to have some stranger putting themselves at risk for it.

No it is not a haven of social distancing out there in firms that are still operating. Look at the news and the walk outs and the reports from unions!

Its more palatable to be at risk for essentials than to be at risk for peoples whims

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:46:58

while mental illnesses can stay with people for a lifetime.

Again the mental health of warehouse/delivery/shop workers is in tatters because people are putting their lives at risk whilst staying safe at home themselves.