Gransnet forums

Health

Anyone else going STIR CRAZY?

(155 Posts)
Pikachu Sun 29-Mar-20 11:44:08

Been a fortnight for us. DH not the best communicator. Managed just about OK when the weather was warmer and could get out in the garden.

Now just about ready to climb the walls. Anyone else at this stage yet?

wildswan16 Sun 29-Mar-20 19:02:44

Being confined to the house doesn't bother me at all. I get a little cross with people saying they are "stuck at home". I much prefer to say that I am "safe at home".

Our homes are certainly our safe haven just now and we should count our blessings that we have them.

Lucca Sun 29-Mar-20 19:11:24

I too want to know what a WP...wonderful partner ?
I’m not going stir crazy . I’m missing my family.
Can’t afford to go stir crazy after such a short time, we have quite possibly got many many months of this.

MerylStreep Sun 29-Mar-20 19:18:13

Wildswan
I totally agree. I love my home and there's nowhere I'd rather be, and I've been all over the world. I'm lucky that I live with a 'talker' If there was an Olympic category, I'd enter him?
One of our topics of conversation over the past couple of days are the conspiracy theories going round.

Septimia Sun 29-Mar-20 19:25:23

I used to do a job that involved walking up and down grid squares in fields - at the beginning of the day it looked really daunting so I broke it up into fractions. It seemed more manageable then.

So.... we've got perhaps 12 weeks of this. We've already done 1 twelfth. Still sounds a long time, but maybe a bit better. By this time next week, we'll have done 2 twelfths or 1 sixth - that sounds like progress. The following week it will be 3 twelfths or 1 quarter - and we're starting to get there. It's great once you get past a half.

Maybe that will help some of us to stay on the ground rather than scaling the walls!

Curlywhirly Sun 29-Mar-20 19:42:13

Hmm, don't like to think of the prospect of 12 weeks. Prefer to take each week as it comes. 12 weeks sounds an awful long time. I'm fine at the moment; still got loads of jobs that need doing. But when I have no tasks left, that will be challenging. But, I have plenty of books that I have yet to read, I love sewing, so could turn my hand to that and I have always said when I have the time, I would love to write about my childhood, so I could leave my story for the children and grandchildren to read should they be interested (my Mum died 30 years ago; now I am older I would love to hear about her early life, but never thought to ask her, so wish I had). Luckily summer is on the horizon, so lots to do in the garden which will definitely help to keep me sane - I would find it very difficult to live in a property with no outdoor space; I would be quite happy with any outdoor space, just a small yard wouĺd do me, anything, as long as I could sit outside in good weather.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 29-Mar-20 19:45:43

Pikachu I imagine we will all have our ups and downs with this but not necessarily at the same time. Lots of busy being busy at the moment for me and hope that keeps me going but if this thread runs on I expect you will get "yes" at different times from different people.

GrannyLaine Sun 29-Mar-20 19:47:53

SueDonim sorry to hear of your sad news. It brings us up sharp when it touches close to home doesn't it?

FarNorth Sun 29-Mar-20 19:49:19

SueDonim I'm very sorry to hear that - it must have been a shock.

Oopsminty Sun 29-Mar-20 19:53:58

Well I'm not a happy bunny at all for many reasons

Very pleased to hear so many of you doing so well

FarNorth Sun 29-Mar-20 19:56:24

Pikachu, I'm guessing most people on this thread live with congenial others, or alone.
Living with someone who is not a 'good fit' with you, for whatever reason, can be very wearing.
Here's hoping we're heading towards better weather, at least. smile

Tuppence15 Sun 29-Mar-20 19:56:58

Yes Pikachu, I’m with you. I usually chat to people when I’m out walking my dog. Now where all avoiding each other with maybe a distant wave of a hand.
The constant bad news is depressing. I worry about my family.
Perhaps if the weather warms up it will help.
As my mum always says “ keep your pecker up”?

Witzend Sun 29-Mar-20 20:04:31

No. Except for missing the family, I’m quite happy at home. We do usually get a good walk in.
I’d go mad if I had nothing to read, though.

Otherwise I’m using up some of my vast stash of knitting wool and looking forward to the arrival of a lot of plants, ordered online, to go in my pots and baskets. Would rather have got them from the garden centre but heigh ho.

If I did get desperate, there’s always cleaning and ironing, but no signs of that stage yet!

SueDonim Sun 29-Mar-20 20:05:15

Thank you for the kind posts. smile It’s not really my loss, it’s my mother’s, as it’s the last surviving relative of her generation. It was a shock, she didn’t know he was ill, the illness was four days from start to finish. That’s scary stuff. sad

Stay indoors and stay well, folks.

Pennypie Sun 29-Mar-20 20:14:15

I hate it.
I can't visit my sister.
My brother-in-law's father is dying and he can't visit him and probably won't be able to attend his funeral.
My husband and his family are worrying about their mother, for exactly the same reasons.
I really hope they hurry up and get a test out to check if you have had it, and are immune.

crazyH Sun 29-Mar-20 20:17:07

Sue, My condolences to your Mother flowers

I doubt I can carry on this self isolation for more than 1 month. I am a gregarious person ...I like company and of course, I am missing the family, especially grandchildren. The more videos they send, the more I miss them.
Stay safe all .

M0nica Sun 29-Mar-20 20:21:12

I find everyone has dicovered phone calls and my days are as interupted as they ever were by phone calls. all from people I love or good friends, all of whom I throughly enjoy talking to, but my plans for the day keep getting delayed!

Grandma70s Sun 29-Mar-20 20:42:46

If I were spending the time doing housework I’d go stir crazy (why STIR crazy?), but I’m quite happy talking to friends on the phone or family on FaceTime, reading and catching up with TV, radio, DVDs etc. I live on my own, so no-one will see if the house hasn’t been cleaned top to bottom. I think it’s getting more untidy, because with no-one dropping in I don’t bother to tidy it. There are much more interesting things to do.

A friend of mine is learning to play the clarinet with an online teacher!

Grandma70s Sun 29-Mar-20 20:50:09

PS The history of the term ‘stir crazy’ is quite complicated, but basically the ‘stir’ derives from a Romany word meaning prison.

Greymar Sun 29-Mar-20 21:04:44

Sorry to those struggling .Time, it's an interesting thing isn't it?

Why do we like the sound of 3 weeks or 12 weeks? is there something about 12 that is appealing?

Small children have no concept of time. I can always estimate it give or take a few minutes.

merlotgran Sun 29-Mar-20 21:23:23

DD and her DH are both working from home with two adult student daughters thrown into the mix I burst out laughing when she sent me this.

Patsy70 Sun 29-Mar-20 22:08:26

Sorry to hear that some are finding this lock down so very difficult. I can understand it if you are on your own and/or are in a very confined space without a garden or are unwell/have some form of depression. We miss seeing our families, but can, if the technology is available, keep in touch with everyone. It won't last forever. People have suffered much worse disasters and survived.

BradfordLass73 Sun 29-Mar-20 22:11:39

I've just lost an elderly friend too. She was taken into hospital with breathing problems and died there.

However, the physician gave the family an interesting factsheet:

Being diagnosed with C-19, even if you subsequently pass away, does NOT necessarily mean C-19 killed you. Some of the 'mortality and reason' figures are being questioned.

Elderly people without C-19 are going to die of respiratory and other infections, as they do each year (this is how my friend died). Don't let media scare stories affect you.

The extra stress and fear imposed on people by C-19 is a significant factor in making people more vulnerable to infection than they might be - especially in the elderly.

Panic and chronic worry can lower your immune system.
Try to think logically and calmly - this is a situation we cannot change. Just do your best.

If, since lockdown, you have not shown any symptoms of C-19, then if you stay at home, you are unlikely to contract it. That doesn't mean you won't get a cold or flu, these are air-borne, droplet infections which spread in the same way C-19 does.
So if, after a 10-day isolation period, you begin to cough or sniffle, please don't think your next phone call has to be to the undertaker. Take normal precautions to ease symptoms and make yourself more comfortable.

If you feel you have been exposed to the virus, contact your doctor, hospital healthline or the emergency numbers you've been given in your locality. They will need to isolate you and trace your movements and the people with whom you came into contact.

BradfordLass73 Sun 29-Mar-20 22:14:07

Oh, by the way, because of the acute lack of testing kits to confirm C-19 in people presenting with symptoms, it is being assumed it is, for safety reasons. It may not be C-19.

CherryCezzy Sun 29-Mar-20 22:38:12

BlueBelle, sodapop and Lucca if you don't know the answer, instead of speculating why don't you ask the poster directly what s/he means by WP?

CherryCezzy Sun 29-Mar-20 23:00:34

SueDonim my condolences to your mother flowers