Gransnet forums

Health

Stiffness

(36 Posts)
Jennerdysphoria Sun 10-May-20 11:24:53

Suddenly overnight the stiffness in my back and legs, that has been worrying me for about a month, has disappeared. This seems almost miraculous and I am trying to discover the cause. The only new things to have passed my lips have been
banana
turmeric
ginger
butter beans
cucumber
butter
balsamic vinegar
Martini
milk (more than usual)

Any ideas?!

Gingergirl Mon 11-May-20 12:00:06

Sandelf, I think you may be speaking for a lot people there.

Flygirl Mon 11-May-20 12:03:00

Turmeric. It's the best.

SunnySusie Mon 11-May-20 13:31:11

Have you been out in the sun Jennerdysphoria? A couple of years ago I had horrendous pain and stiffness in my legs, back, feet and face. It would come and go and was worse at the end of the winter. Eventually it turned out to be Vitamin D deficiency. A few days of being out in the bright sun and the stiffness disappeared like magic. I now take a Vitamin D supplement and go out for fifteen minutes before putting on sun screen.

Caramac Mon 11-May-20 13:45:13

My dog has a green lipped muscle tablet twice daily. Bear with me. It has made a noticeable difference and the tablets are available in a different (I think) formulation.
The tablets are called Yumove and I get mine online from Lintbells. They often have discount offers too. It costs at full price about £20 delivered for one months supply.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 11-May-20 14:47:57

Were you warmer in bed last night or more warmly dressed yesterday? Stiffness can often be alleviated by keeping warm.

Have you changed your washing powder?

Your mentioning food made me think you were attributing part of your stiffness to an allergy. These can well be caused by perfume or other components of washing powder.

Hope the stiffness stays away.

theonlynamenottaken Mon 11-May-20 15:26:04

Trying turmeric in tea bags every day. Seems to help a bit.

narrowboatnan Mon 11-May-20 15:41:53

Lintbells, who make YuMove for cats and dogs, also make IMove, which is for people.

Turmeric is a very good anti inflammatory but you need to know that it needs piperine oil from black pepper corns to make it available to the body at cellular level, and a fat (such as butter or milk) or an oil (coconut oil is excellent) to dissolve it so that it doesn't simply go straight through before doing any good. It is also worth remembering that it's not how much you take, but how often as it only stays in the system for a few hours. Best way, if you don't want the faff of making your own Turmeric concoction, is to buy capsules with black pepper in and wash them down with something like milk (for the fat content) or alcohol (also dissolves Turmeric).

mrsgreenfingers56 Mon 11-May-20 17:29:19

I tried turmeric hearing how good it was for you, but after a few weeks I started with the most awful itching and my husband started on it as well and suffered the same, he asked me if I had changed the washing powder! The itching would start on my neck and go down my back and it was most unpleasant so ditched the turmeric.

Lizbethann55 Mon 11-May-20 23:22:58

How much martini? It sounds more fun than the turmeric.

Jennerdysphoria Wed 20-May-20 19:02:43

Reporting back, my stiffness stays away unless I don't use turmeric, when it starts creeping back. I am so convinced that I have ordered some turmeric pills.

I note the warnings above about not taking it with blood thinners, etc. and thankyou for those. Luckily, I don't take any meds except Levothyroxine.

Also thankyou for the information that turmeric needs black pepper and fat to be fully activated (when I first noticed the effect I had taken it with warm milk). I do use black pepper on food as well.

In answer to other questions, I had not done anything differently as far as I know. I do a dog walk most days.