Gransnet forums

Health

Loss of body hair

(33 Posts)
Trixi Sun 17-May-20 15:21:26

I thought it strange when I realised I haven't needed to shave my legs or underarms this year. But didn't worry too much. But now my eyebrows are vanishing. Is this an age thing? Or should I be concerned?

welbeck Fri 22-May-20 01:47:27

do you happen to know what are the risks / effects of not treating under-active thyroid. i've heard of things like thinning hair, and putting on weight, tiredness.

Calendargirl Fri 22-May-20 07:46:16

The hair ‘down below’ is still dark, but greying on my head, Why?
Don’t seem to have eyelashes any more.
?

Calendargirl Fri 22-May-20 07:50:48

welbeck.

Yes, all of those. My under active thyroid was picked up at my 60 years check up. Didn’t realise I had any symptoms, but had just retired and assumed it was work that made me feel tired.

Have never noticed much difference since really, except hair is probably thinner, but maybe an age thing also.

Grannynannywanny Fri 22-May-20 07:54:45

Wellbeck this is the link to the info on the NHS website. I’m not great at tech so if clicking on the link doesn’t work you may need to copy and paste it.

Or alternatively google NHS underactive thyroid and it should lead you to it.
www.nhs.uk/conditions/underactive-thyroid-hypothyroidism/

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 22-May-20 08:02:25

Due to cancer (and other medication) the hair on my head is thinning and I rarely shave or pluck my eyebrows, leg hair or armpits. Yet, if I didn’t pluck my chin daily, I would have an enormous beard by now!

H1954 Fri 22-May-20 08:09:23

Oh yes, definitely "an age thing" ! ? I very rarely have to shave my legs and underarms now, just wish the eyebrows were in synch, one looks quite 'normal' and the other very sparse indeed! ???

GGumteenth Fri 22-May-20 11:26:07

do you happen to know what are the risks/effects of not treating under-active thyroid. i've heard of things like thinning hair, and putting on weight, tiredness
welbeck Fri 22-May-20 01:47:27

If there is a doctor on this thread they may be able to expand on this but otherwise most of the articles I have seen on google seem to say much the same as this one.

www.healthline.com/health/hypothyroidism/complications#1

Mine went unrecognised for some time and I now have the neuropathy mentioned here which may or may not have been caused by this. I certainly had the brain fog (Cognitive issues) caused by hypothyroid.