Gransnet forums

Health

Cataract and astigmatism

(29 Posts)
Jimpy Sat 25-Jul-20 20:28:50

Hi. I am about to have nhs cataract surgery but I have astigmatism. I am near sighted at the moment. Does anyone know what my result is likely to be? Will they make me long sighted ? Due to the covid, I have had no proper assessment, just a phone call. I am just going Tuesday to be "done".
I am worried that I will lose my near sight and be worse off. Help, please. I am on the verge of cancelling. Has anyone been through this experience?

mcem Wed 29-Jul-20 20:29:25

Sorry you're disappointed. My cataracts were dealt with very effectively. Excellent distance vision plus reading specs.
However a year or two later I had some blurring so went back to Vision Express where I was told I needed to go back to varifocal lenses. Utter tosh!
Second opinion at Boots diagnosed the very common post-op problem where the capsule can become cloudy.
Referred back to opthalmology and a five-minute appointment to have the cloudiness cleared by laser. Totally painless and stress-free and perfect ever since!
I did complain to Vision Express , received an apology and reassurance that they'd look again at their training and focus more on dealing with cataracts.

Very best of luck for
your next steps.

Helennonotion Wed 29-Jul-20 20:46:30

Thanks Jimpy It was a bit of a shock! Look after that right eye! I have a friend who only has one good eye and he manages very well. It's only when something like this happens you realise how precious good eyesight is! Take care. flowers

miketom Fri 31-Jul-20 07:13:39

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.