Gransnet forums

Health

Brain hemorrhage

(29 Posts)
Jaberwok Thu 03-Sep-20 15:58:51

Last week completely it of the blue our daughter suffered from an AVM! For about three days things looked very bleak. then she very slowly improved until yesterday when she was allowed out of hospital. I have spoken to her this morning and we seems okish, though very tired and tearful. Luckily she has three teenage children, a wonderful devoted partner and a circle of good friends so care isn't a problem. Has anyone on here had any experience of this traumatic event? If so, perhaps you can give me some idea of her long term prognosis ? She may have another AVM in her spine and the other side of her head! A scan in 5 weeks should tell us of any other damage. To say that we are worried is an understatement, as I'm sure anyone reading this will understand.

LauraNorder Fri 04-Sep-20 22:25:06

flowers No experience so nothing to contribute but couldn't pass by without wishing you all the best and a speedy and strong recovery for your daughter.

Georgesgran Fri 04-Sep-20 23:28:39

Late night reading and hope your daughter makes the best recovery she can. In December ‘95 my DD2 suffered a spinal infarction - basically, a spinal stroke - caused by a bleed or blockage - she was 12. She spent 9 weeks in hospital and despite NHS and private physiotherapy is a full time wheelchair user. At 16, she learned to drive and passed her test a few days after her 17th birthday. Head Girl at her school, then Uni in Newcastle. I realise I’m hi-jacking the OP, but I’m so proud of her! She attended a school reunion and met a chap from a more senior year and they married in 2010. Nothing and I mean nothing stops her - she works full time for the Insurance Arm of a Bank, lives life to the full, including 30+ visits to New York, where they got engaged. I could ramble on, but thought this worrying thread could end on a cheerful note. Night night all. X

kittylester Sat 05-Sep-20 10:14:36

That is a fabulous story georgesgran.

Our son did an MA and wrote and self published an autobiography after he came back to England.

He is unable to work due to the damage to his left side and the tiredness but he lives independently, volunteers a lot and is active in Local Politics.

Sadly, his wife decided to stay in Japan but he has had a couple of relationships more recently.

As you say, it isn't all doom and gloom.