Gransnet forums

Health

NHS 3 yearly routine mammogram

(58 Posts)
ChrissyR Thu 10-Sep-20 13:58:38

How does everyone cope waiting for results? I have extreme health anxiety and fell to bits waiting for results of last 2 mammograms.

I didn’t go for them up until 6 years ago (stupid I know) and only went then as my daughter gave me a good talking to. I have no problem with the procedure but just can’t cope waiting for the results.

I’m in the process of trying to find somewhere private where you can get the results on the same day. I’ve found a few in other countries but unfortunately not in the U.K.

Any help with coping with the wait for results would be much appreciated and if anyone knows of any organisations who give you the results on the same day that would be great.

Thanks everyone

Grandmabatty Fri 22-Apr-22 12:49:08

I am glad that the NHS do this. At my last one, they found calcification which can be a sign of cancer but fortunately in my case wasn't. I don't dwell on what might be and deal with things as they happen. My mother has never had a mammogram nor a smear and has been lucky.

MissAdventure Fri 22-Apr-22 12:42:43

Do you think watching a video of of one being done might help you?

Hollyhock1 Fri 22-Apr-22 12:18:24

Thanks all, reassured me a bit. I might go this time, but will cancel in good time if not to enable another lady to have the slot. I think I've inherited this trait from my mum. She's 76 now and was always unwilling to go, always worried about the radiation, etc, yet she's undergone CT scans and MRIs for varying problems.

mokryna Thu 21-Apr-22 23:20:51

Same for me Grandmafrench, it seems cruel to not know straight away.

MerylStreep Thu 21-Apr-22 22:43:22

I paid to have the test from my late 30s until i was 50.
I suffered from mastitis which causes the breast to be very lumpy
It gave me peace of mind.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Apr-22 22:39:13

Oh, I meant to say, you stand close to the mammogram thingy, with your bra and top off.
The technician tells you how to stand, so that you're close enough.
It is over with in about 5 minutes.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Apr-22 22:35:18

It is more a feeling of pressure than pain, for me.
By the time you have thought about the pressure, it's done.

I am the biggest coward for having anything at all done; I hate it all, and am really nervous, but the mammogram would be the least worrying one for me.

BlueSky Thu 21-Apr-22 22:28:41

Hollyhock in my experience not painful at all, just a slight discomfort over very quickly. Wish all tests were as easy! I’m over the age of recall now but will still opt to have them done.

Hollyhock1 Thu 21-Apr-22 21:48:29

I wonder if any of you ladies who've had a mammogram can tell me honestly what it involves, etc, plus is it as painful as I imagine?

Angjan Thu 21-Apr-22 21:04:48

Thank you very much. Not in the best place now. But hanging in there.

Hollyhock1 Thu 21-Apr-22 18:13:58

Well done Angjan! I've had a routine invitation today, I'm 58 this year and have never had a mammogram, putting my first invitation off and then not being recalled until now - the appointment's in May. I'm not sure if I can face going - through fear and then worry waiting for results. I'm busy reading up on the pros and cons of mammograms (surprisingly there are cons!). I'd tell my daughter to go, but don't know if I want the stress and anxiety. I examine myself and BC isnt in my family, I'm not on HRT either. Decision time! I admire all the women who go with no second thought!???

Angjan Tue 19-Apr-22 19:07:59

Thank you, I needed that.

Santana Tue 19-Apr-22 18:38:49

Well done Angjan!
Hope it wasn't too uncomfortable for you, and good luck for the waiting time. You've done the right thing, be proud of yourself!

Angjan Tue 19-Apr-22 12:00:05

Ive done it.

BlueSky Tue 19-Apr-22 11:37:30

Those over the age of recall who opted to have further mammograms, are pleased they have done so? It would put your mind at rest I guess, even if it meant further anxiety waiting for the results.

srn63 Tue 19-Apr-22 11:15:43

When I was first called at age 50 years I cancelled the appointment because prior to that I had had investigations (ultrasound and biopsy) for breast lump, benign thankfully, and the state I got myself into was terrifying. I was in living in Germany the next time I was due so missed that too. I managed to drag myself to the next mammogram 3 years later - all clear. To my utter shame I bottled out of the next 2, using Covid as an excuse for 1 of them. I have just had a mammogram after cancelling and remaking the appointment 4 times! The results came last Saturday, all clear, I feel that I have won the lottery. No idea how I will feel when called for the next one. My heart sinks when I read of breakthroughs in diagnosing very early cancers with regular blood tests, easier screening etc. I just have no idea how I would cope with them all. Stupid I know but it is surprising after reading these comments how common and real this fear is. I could not forget that the results are due, they are on my mind every second of the day.

Juno56 Tue 19-Apr-22 10:48:03

I had a routine three yearly mammogram a couple of weeks ago and currently waiting for the result. I have never been unduly anxious before but this time the mammographer called a colleague in to have a look at the screen ?. I know logically that it probably means nothing and a doctor reviews the films but I must admit to feeling a little edgy this time.

Pepper59 Tue 19-Apr-22 10:15:01

My mother's mammogram saved her life as it picked up on cell changes. I attend mine, but just try to put it out of my head. Like others I have normally forgot, then the letter arrives. Same with the bowel cancer test. There is breast cancer within my family, but I just try not to think about it. We are fortunate to have testing here.

Angjan Tue 19-Apr-22 10:11:03

Im sure to say, that unless I had had treatment before, and if I live long enough, I will not be going then!
The anxiety for me is just too much.
I would concentrate on feeling well and enjoying your life.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 19-Apr-22 10:01:12

I have an appointment at a mobile unit next week. I am 80 and have been attending these appointments every three years since I was in my thirties. However, last year due to a routine operation which then led to a seizure and ITU I was not well enough to attend. I rang a few weeks ago and now have this appointment which is really worrying me. As said before it is the waiting time and basically I don’t want the stress. I have even considered cancelling it. The last time I went I asked if I should go again because of my age and was told I should as the risks increase with age. My real fear is hearing about the long waits for treatment if something wrong is detected and the hospital thinking at 80 81 soon I should go to the back of the queue or not bother with me. It’s the stress that I don’t want as I have experienced too much of it in the last few years and just want a peaceful state of mind for awhile. I’m in a quandary as if I don’t go it will be probably bothering me that I didn’t.

Nannashiny Tue 19-Apr-22 09:48:16

I have rang the clinic and the images haven’t been looked at yet I’m looking at at least another two weeks wait I really don’t know how I’ll manage I already feel so awful

Angjan Tue 19-Apr-22 09:14:32

I am sitting here waiting for my daughter to take me for mammagram. I have not for a few days, my mouth is so dry, and fear has consumed me. I am trying to google if i have it done can i tell them i dont want results if its too much for me to wait. I need a get out clause.

Nannashiny Tue 19-Apr-22 07:44:24

I’m currently having some cbt but it’s not working for me the anxiety is just so strong I am going to ring the clinic and the gp when they open as I can’t carry on like this ???

MissAdventure Mon 18-Apr-22 22:09:00

I'm not worried about the outcome of tests, it's having them done that terrifies me. (If they're invasive ones)

jeanie99 Mon 18-Apr-22 21:29:41

If I am having a routine test then I wouldn't worry. If it was because of a health problem I would be concerned and thinking about it until the results came through.
The problem we have had, my husband and I is having to wait sometimes over a month for results.
I have a US test next week which is not routine but monitoring so I will be glad when the result comes.
The one thing I hate is the routine monitoring I have testing my heart valves and Echo-cardiogram. It can be a male or female technician. I only want a female to do it and when I asked last year they said it is who is on the rota. I told my daughter I just couldn't go through with it again with a male technician. She rang up the hospital and they agreed that a lady would do the test. I've started worrying already as I am due for the test any day now.