Gransnet forums

Health

NHS 3 yearly routine mammogram

(57 Posts)
ChrissyR Thu 10-Sep-20 13:58:38

How does everyone cope waiting for results? I have extreme health anxiety and fell to bits waiting for results of last 2 mammograms.

I didn’t go for them up until 6 years ago (stupid I know) and only went then as my daughter gave me a good talking to. I have no problem with the procedure but just can’t cope waiting for the results.

I’m in the process of trying to find somewhere private where you can get the results on the same day. I’ve found a few in other countries but unfortunately not in the U.K.

Any help with coping with the wait for results would be much appreciated and if anyone knows of any organisations who give you the results on the same day that would be great.

Thanks everyone

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Sep-20 14:07:40

Try Nuffield. I have mine done immediately. Still hate it though.

Esspee Thu 10-Sep-20 14:37:43

I don’t think about it. When the result comes in the post I am usually surprised as I had forgotten all about it.
When you have regular mammograms you know that last time you were fine so anything that shows up is of recent origin so there is a good chance of it being treatable.
I felt like this even before I was made aware I don’t carry the breast cancer gene.
If you are so anxious about your health you could get yourself genetically tested.

silverlining48 Thu 10-Sep-20 15:43:03

Over 70 so had to request a mammogram. I had a call the other day to say they have restarted testing so appointment made for 10 days time. As Esspee said if you have them done regularly you tend not to worry, even though in my case there could be reason for concern.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 10-Sep-20 16:19:50

I’ve got one in a couple of weeks. I do tend to forget about them to be honest. My friend had cancer detected, but it was so tiny, she’d never have felt it on examination. She was successfully treated, very quickly as well. One of those things we just have to get on with. We’re so lucky to have these tests which can pick things up so quickly. I do hope all is clear for you.

ChrissyR Thu 10-Sep-20 16:40:33

Thank you for all of your replies.

Whitewavemark2 I contacted Nuffield. They say approx 7 days for results which is good but still trying to find somewhere quicker if possible.

Esspee I so wish I was like you and could take it all in my stride. I’m sorry I don’t really understand what you mean by getting genetically tested.

silverlining48 I know what you mean by getting tested regularly but 3 years seems a bit of a long time for something to have changed.

DiscoDancer1975 You’re right, we are lucky to have these tests available. I just need to sort my head out about it.

Thank you ladies

silverlining48 Thu 10-Sep-20 16:45:06

I think genetic testing is to do with the Braca gene which is related to bc but unless you have a family history they are unlikely to do it .

Ellianne Thu 10-Sep-20 16:52:25

At our private hospital in London you can have a consultant's appointment, tests and results in a couple of hours. It's called rapid access breast clinic but you need a gp referral to say why it is urgent. Otherwise a week is normal for a routine mammogram because 2 doctors have to check it.
I am not sure about NHS waits.
Good luck.

ChrissyR Thu 10-Sep-20 17:16:18

Thank you silverlining48 I’ve never heard of that. There’s no history of cancer in my family. Ellianne That sounds good but, as you say, it’s for urgent cases which is understandable.

BlueSky Thu 10-Sep-20 18:24:57

I remember waiting anxiously for the results when I first had them done. Then I've got used to it and even forget about it, like others surprised when I see the envelope!

Hollyhock1 Thu 10-Sep-20 20:12:19

I'm 56 next month and have never had a mammogram. I cancelled my first invitation at about age 51 and they've never recalled me for any further ones. I do self examine periodically. The wait for results would be too much for me!

ChrissyR Fri 11-Sep-20 11:30:53

Thanks everyone

I know exactly what you mean ‘Hollyhock1* I didn’t have my first one until I was 61 and wouldn’t have gone then if my daughter hadn’t had a go at me.

Oopsadaisy4 Fri 11-Sep-20 12:55:57

chrissy no words of advice here I’m afraid but I was wondering how you cope with the wait from the Bowel Test kits?
That’s the one that worried me, although I’m now under the hospital, ditto the Mammagrams so I will go in and have the tests and be told the results whilst I’m there.

ChrissyR Fri 11-Sep-20 15:18:21

Oopsadaisy4 I haven’t managed to do that one yet I’m ashamed to say but I would be exactly the same as I am with the mammogram results.

Anannymous Fri 11-Sep-20 15:35:33

Hi Chrissy I am just the same as you I am afraid. I had BC 17 years ago and every time I have had a mammogram since I have been a nervous wreck. The poor postman has one arm shorter than the other where I sit in wait and grab the post as it comes through the letter box! I really don’t know what the answer is. All I would say is my outcome would have been very different had I not had that first routine mammogram, so I put myself through it every three years and buy a large bottle of gin!

Floradora9 Fri 11-Sep-20 16:42:25

Hollyhock1 I had no outward signs of breast cancer it was only through the testing that mine was discovered . Go and have it done please .

PinkCakes Fri 11-Sep-20 17:00:12

I'm 61, so have had 3 breast screenings done. I've never once worried about the results, as I've always thought I'd notice any changes in my breasts and go to the doctor's if I had any symptoms.

Jane43 Sat 12-Sep-20 14:15:11

I religiously had mammograms, smear tests and colon cancer tests from the age they were recommended until the upper limit. When I had the final mammogram a small tumour was discovered which was so deep in my breast I would never have discovered it by self examination and I had a lumpectomy in December 2018 followed by three weeks of radiotherapy. I was prescribed Oestrogen blockers for five years and mammograms for five years, the second is due soon. I am just thankful that I had all the tests and treatments available and that they are all completely free of charge.

Franbern Sat 12-Sep-20 16:55:25

A couple of years ago, had a spot that kept bleeding on one of my breasts. Well past the age of 70 yrs so not had any mammograms for several years. I was not too worried, but took it to GP and she felt it was worth testing further. I was referred to the fast track breast clinic at the local NHS hospital. Had mammogram in morning and saw Consultant in afternoon with results. Fortunately, nothing to worry about - was an infected cyst.

Franbern Sat 12-Sep-20 17:00:11

Meant to add that I would be far more worried without these three years checks when I was younger and would be furious with any of my daughters if they did not attend one. On one occasion one of those did come back with something unusual, further tests showed nothing to worry about.
Anyone who does not take full advantage if this wonderful testing service and the one for bowel cancer, is acting very foolishly in my opinion.
I must admit I never worried about results expecting them to be fine - but even if you are a worrier, surely it must be much worse if you do not have these tests - I would have thought you would then be worried all of the time.
Self checks are good and should be carriéd out - but often these tests will pick something up so early that it would not be apparent on any self check - and the earlier the better for treatment to be totally successful.

Grandmafrench Sat 12-Sep-20 17:28:01

Come on Chrissy - don't be embarrassed about making excuses, just 'feel the fear and do it anyway'.

I'm the world's worst and having breezed in for a BUPA medical many years ago and almost keeling over with shock when a mass was found, I spent the entire Easter weekend prior to a hospital biopsy actually sobbing and pleading with God, life, anybody that it wasn't going to be anything awful. I've never been so scared. Results of the procedure showed it to be a fibroadenoma, and harmless, but I couldn't have known it was there. I hugged the Surgeon when he told me and he said he knew that it would be o.k. but just couldn't tell me that without the proper tests.

I have regular Mammograms. Very different here in France, you are sent your invitation, you choose from a huge list of local hospitals, women's clinics, special breast clinics etc., make an appointment yourself and then turn up clutching your previous scans and results. These invitations are sent out every 2 years. Mammogram, then films are inspected, then ultrasound, then examination, then Doctor reviews results, compares with old scans and notes, then comes out to announce (hopefully) all o.k. Your scans are still sent on to a large organisation who again review all the results and then write to you with your latest scans and you keep all for the next time. So, a double check, but no real waiting or anxiety.

Do the mammogram, do the colon cancer testing kit, turn up for anything that might prevent serious illness and help save your life. It's horrible that it creates so much anxiety, but so much better than the alternative !!!!!

Good luck and just look forward to a celebratory drink or slice of cake after you get the results.

Nannashiny Sun 17-Apr-22 19:03:56

I am dealing with awful anxiety waiting for my mammogram results so bad I can’t sleep or eat have just come across this site while searching for help I know it’s an old thread but maybe someone out there

MayBee70 Sun 17-Apr-22 19:13:02

I’m exactly the same. Unfortunately my last mammogram was due at the start of the pandemic and I’d already decided to self isolate so I didn’t go. I felt that the threat of catching covid at the time was worse than the possibility of getting a bad result. Part of me was relieved. I’m the same with the bowel cancer screening tests, too. A nervous wreck till I get the result. I know the advice I’d give to someone else but can’t seem to take my own advice.

markrob7484 Sun 17-Apr-22 20:13:41

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BlueSky Sun 17-Apr-22 20:16:07

I guess it happens especially if you are an anxious person anyway. Just got to wait and think that if anything was spotted, you’ll have it dealt with straight away. I’ve officially had my last mammogram but will still be requesting it, must be glutton for punishment!