Gransnet forums

Health

Colds and stuff

(66 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Oct-20 11:06:36

It occurred to me that I can’t remember the last time I had a cold or anything catching.

I guess it is down to social distancing etc.

Has anyone else had a cold if late?

LondonMzFitz Wed 07-Oct-20 10:42:28

Not had a cold this year and YES I do think it's down to social distancing, working from home, shielding and not having to do my daily journey on the London Underground.

I usually have a few gum and/or ear infections every few months, I think because I'm getting an extra one and a half/two hours sleep as I'm not having to travel in and out to work I'm better rested, less stressed and generally in better spirits. The upside to Covid-19.

nipsmum Wed 07-Oct-20 10:43:28

January this year I had a nasty chest infection, but have not had " the common cold" for years. I qualified as an Infectious diseases nurse and have still got a fairly robust immune system even though I'm almost 80.

Witzend Wed 07-Oct-20 10:43:57

I hardly had any for years - until grandchildren at nursery and school started bringing them home and passing them on.

Craftycat Wed 07-Oct-20 10:47:52

Now you mention it I can't remember the last time I had a cold. I do get a sore throat sometimes though.

Lupin Wed 07-Oct-20 10:52:27

The last two colds I had were January 2019 and early September 20.. I had just started chemo in 2019, and friends took me to a wiggery ( as we jokingly called it ), and then into a cafe for a coffee. In 2019 I was taking all sorts of jollop to boost my immune system, and the cold was very slight. Lockdown and shielding have kept colds at bay this year, but I started one a few weeks ago and prayed it would not turn into Covid. It didn't and again it didn't turn into much. Just a sniffle and a sneeze. I kept well away from people. too.
Before 2019 I used to travel across London regularly to see family and always came home with a cold.

Kartush Wed 07-Oct-20 11:14:06

About 6 months ago, had a cold or a flu which really laid me up.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Oct-20 11:16:47

Craftycat

Now you mention it I can't remember the last time I had a cold. I do get a sore throat sometimes though.

Yes so do I. I have decided it is bacterial rather than viral though, as I’m going nowhere to get anything without mask stringent hand washing/ gelling etc and strict social distancing.

Granartisan Wed 07-Oct-20 11:31:44

By the time we reach a certain age we have acheived immunity to a lot of the common bugs. My mother at around eighty boasted that she hadnt had a cold for thirty years, and I now find myself doing the same. Maybe this is the 'herd' immunity the boffins keep talking about!

Kim19 Wed 07-Oct-20 11:34:07

I can't remember either. Perhaps one was too trivial to be noteworthy. Who knows? Certainly seems a long long time. Have occasionally felt vulnerable around sniffling/coughing GC but so far so good and..... their company is certainly worth risking a cold for. My choice assuredly.

Ashcombe Wed 07-Oct-20 11:52:53

I catch few colds, possibly being a teacher for nearly 40 years built my immunity. Having said that, during my recent stay in France, where DH lives permanently, I did have a cold for just a few days but he didn’t! I guess it was due to encountering an unfamiliar virus.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 07-Oct-20 12:07:20

I haven't had one since I stopped teaching in 2011.

Saggi Wed 07-Oct-20 12:20:40

I have couple of colds a year..... but haven’t had one since COVID ...... must be social distancing and vigorous hand washing.

SillyNanny321 Wed 07-Oct-20 12:32:02

Had not had a cold for a couple of years. Then my DGS came round with a cold. So bad sore throat, hacking cough & runny nose. Two weeks on & still coughing & feeling rotten. Think it is down to Lockdown no germs about so when one comes along it is worse than usual. Thank you Covid!

Jillybird Wed 07-Oct-20 12:32:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Georgesgran Wed 07-Oct-20 12:45:28

I used to get a cold after Christmas and another around my March birthday - don’t want to tempt fate - touching wood -but not had either for a few years now!

MayBee70 Wed 07-Oct-20 12:49:27

I’ve got a much needed dental appointment tomorrow and, last night, thought my throat felt a bit sore. Nightmare scenario. If I cancel the appointment I’d assume they wouldn’t make me another one till I’d had a Covid test and I have no idea where to get one from: also, having been shielding for months don’t want to go to a test centre. The only place I could have picked up a cold would have been at my dental check up last week. Apart from DH I see no one and go nowhere. Thankfully I feel perfectly ok today.Also could do with seeing a doctor as I’m getting shooting pains in my leg which always makes me think of a possible thrombosis but that’s out of the question. It’s making me realise how many other health issues are being caused by the pandemic. And why some people might choose to ignore possible minor Covid symptoms because of how much it might affect them and their immediate family.

Bluesindy1 Wed 07-Oct-20 13:30:44

Since I started my dog walking business 2 years ago I haven't had so much as a sniffle but when I worked in an office I'd get one every year about this time when the seasons change! Must be all the fresh air I'm getting now!

Lettice Wed 07-Oct-20 13:53:39

Not had a cold since I was in my 40s (now 80), but developed a cold sore a couple of days ago. Do not remember ever having had one before. Different cause, I know, so I wonder why they are linked.

BelindaB Wed 07-Oct-20 14:53:42

I started sneezing yesterday - then my granddaughter started as well (she's living with me at the moment). Both ended up last evening with noses like Niagara but have both woken up today with a clear nose?!?!

I usually get at least one absolute stinker every winter. Sometimes followed by a chest infection, sometimes not. Not been so bad since my asthma was diagnosed a few years ago.....

Weird.

blubber Wed 07-Oct-20 15:36:54

Aren't you afraid of mice, cats etc getting in when you are asleep Made inYorkshire?

Sawsage2 Wed 07-Oct-20 15:41:18

Not had a cold for over 20 years. Take one 1000g vit c, Echinacea & zinc tablet every day in winter. Worked for nhs for 30 years, never had a flu jab.

Cagsy Wed 07-Oct-20 15:46:02

Yep, DGC back at school, had a sleepover here (it was allowed, now we can't even visit) next morning DGD had a cold, 2 days later so did we. I don't mind the cold so much as the endless catarrh for weeks after

Omits01 Wed 07-Oct-20 16:58:00

Had a winter Flu' jab two years ago and then soon went down with the worst Flu' I've ever had. Never again! Concerned about a COVID jab when they come out. Will probably avoid and wait to see how it goes. We take strong measures to avoid others when out so here's hoping.

Franbern Wed 07-Oct-20 17:53:46

I have always understood that there are well over three hundred different types of cold virus'. Over the years we usually get each of these and build up our own immunity.
So, small children, who have none of this natural immunity yet, do get cold after cold after cold. However, by the time we reach 70 yrs plus, chances are that we have had most of these and have built up our own immunity.

Lilyflower Wed 07-Oct-20 17:56:54

When I was teaching I used to get them all the time from the pupils. Now I am retired I usually catch about one a year.