Gransnet forums

Health

Colds and stuff

(66 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Oct-20 11:06:36

It occurred to me that I can’t remember the last time I had a cold or anything catching.

I guess it is down to social distancing etc.

Has anyone else had a cold if late?

Sarahmob Wed 07-Oct-20 18:09:51

I had a cold three weeks ago, just after I’d gone back to work (supply teacher). I felt awful with my sneezing and sniffling, but I knew that it was just a cold.

Molli Wed 07-Oct-20 18:48:35

Last week. I had to check my symptoms - swollen glands, ear ache, stuffy nose and eyes running - on the nhs website just to make sure it wasn't Covid related. After all the questions I was told that I could ' look after myself'. I knew it was a cold. Other teachers in school had been sneezing and generally snotty. It has been nice to have 6 months without the snuffles.

Seiko70 Wed 07-Oct-20 18:51:47

My husband has just got over a cold and we have been pondering how so when he always wears a mask when out and about.

Justwidowed Wed 07-Oct-20 19:10:25

Yes ,I'm just getting over one caught from my baby GGD nearly three weeks ago .Sneezing was continuous followed by bad cough, no temperature but couldn't have flu jab. The first cold I've had for a few years but I eat a lot of oranges and take Vitamin C tablets .Played havoc with my blood sugar levels but now sorted.

Grandmama Wed 07-Oct-20 19:22:09

I honestly can't remember!

Juicylucy Wed 07-Oct-20 20:36:01

Last time I had a cold was about 8 years ago. Luckily I don’t catch these things even flu I’ve only had once in my life. Being 64 I’m offered the flu jab but refuse it every year rather let my immune deal with it should I get it. I’m tempting fate here.

Hetty58 Wed 07-Oct-20 20:53:50

I've only had flu twice (as a child then as a young adult) and haven't had a cold for decades. I had a lot as a child, but few as an adult. I refuse the flu jab too.

B9exchange, it's interesting that you think it's good that children are now getting colds.

Yes, of course, it's welcome that they are building up immunity.

What really worried me is - if they're catching colds they are definitely at risk of catching Covid!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 07-Oct-20 21:49:39

Very rarely get colds nowadays now I'm not working but just before Christmas had a cough and a very sore throat. Was dreading it causing problems over Christmas but it cleared up after about a week.My husband is convinced I've had a mild dose of covid! He had similar and a very high temperature so maybe.

Tangerine Wed 07-Oct-20 21:55:34

I haven't had one for ages. Perhaps all the hand sanitiser is helping to stop colds spreading. Also, mask wearing must help.

I hate the fact that Covid exists but I think I wouldn't mind if hand sanitiser was here to stay when you entered places. Masks on planes might be a good thing to permanently adopt.

Estrellita Thu 08-Oct-20 07:29:44

Just before New Year I had an awful cold. I found it difficult to breathe without wheezing and had a horrible cough which kept me awake at night. It was awful. It lasted about a week.

GagaJo Thu 08-Oct-20 08:34:52

I was also thinking the other day that I haven't caught anything for quite a while. There was a terrible bug at my school in February (similar to Covid but no one was ill enough for it to have actually been Covid). Because I had been watching and reading the news about C19, I deliberately distanced myself from everyone, took Chinese friends advice about airing rooms, made students sit at the back of the classrooms, washed hands etc, and managed to be part of the 10% of staff NOT to catch it.

I wear a mask all the time I am out now, even at work while I am teaching. I wash my hands repeatedly and am only around others when I have to be.

Miraculously, the the result of this has been no colds or bugs. I usually catch everything going, so it has to be because of my careful measures.

Blinko Thu 08-Oct-20 08:42:44

Whilst I was working and looking after small GCs, I used to get rotten colds, lasting at least a fortnight in most cases. Since I retired, and especially since Covid, when I have avoided public transport, I've had almost no colds, none in the recent past.

I agree that sanitising, social distancing and masks in public places are all helping to keep the common cold at bay as well as Covid.

Daftbag1 Thu 08-Oct-20 20:38:33

5 years ago was my last cold, but though it's really rare that I get virus's but when I do I go for gold, a cold becomes pleurisy, a bad throat becomes laryngitis for over a year......you get the picture!

CR39 Sat 10-Oct-20 11:44:41

I started with a head cold two weeks ago that has left me with a slight cough. I am dues a flu jab today but it has been cancelled as I mentioned to receptionist. She referred to doctor and he said ‘no, I cannot come in as I might have the Covid virus’. I have still got taste and smell, no temperature, feel fine. If I have got the virus at my age 81 I am feeling very well on it!

Maoiliosa Tue 13-Oct-20 12:13:52

My cold is in its 5th week. I had a Covid test..negative. This is my first time to have such a debilitating cold. Strange times.