Gransnet forums

Health

Can't get flu jab

(136 Posts)
Antonia Mon 26-Oct-20 08:58:28

DH and I had texts from the surgery late September, telling us that flu jabs would take place on each Saturday in October, and that we would be given an appointment.
The four Saturdays have now gone, and no appointment for either of us. We are late sixties and mid seventies.
I tried to book a private jab at Boots, only to find that Boots appear to have run out of the vaccine.
Anyone else experienced this?

GrannyHaggis Mon 26-Oct-20 10:09:27

We both had ours at the surgery in September. I was very surprised at how efficient it all was especially our surgery's track record on other medical matters. Both of us are over 70 and OH is in the extremely clinically vulnerable category, so maybe that helped. I believe the under 60's have a different vaccine to us oldies.

Antonia Mon 26-Oct-20 10:13:14

So, just had this text from the surgery:

"We are aware that you haven't had a invite for Flu vaccine as yet and we are working hard with suppliers due to increased uptake this year. Please be assured you will be invited when we have supply. If you do not want vaccinating please let us know. Thank you"

We'll have to wait and see then. Unfortunately you can't just turn up at our surgery, you need an appointment.

Juliet27 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:14:05

I had both flu and pneumonia jabs when I had a routine blood test last month. My H booked his a couple of weeks in advance and had them done on a ‘jab day’. All very quick and efficient.

Coconut Mon 26-Oct-20 10:18:29

Yes, my Dr sent me an appt last Saturday .....

nipsmum Mon 26-Oct-20 10:20:47

I was told by the Nurse in my surgery that I would get a letter in the first week of October telling me which" HUB" to go to and giving me a date and time. Nothing has arrived yet. Bit I know several elderly people who have had theirs weeks ago. I still don't understand why I might have to travel halfway across Aberdeen when my surgery is literally next door to me.

rowyn Mon 26-Oct-20 10:20:51

Heard nothing from the GP and website wasn't very informative either. Waited to hear as I knew they'd contacted my neighbour and I'm in my 70s so knew I was eligible. In the end I phoned - about a week ago - and got probably the last appointment for the next day. They had a drive in service in the car park next to the surgery.

Kim19 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:21:42

Rang surgery early September. Was given an appointment for beginning October. Sorted.

Antonia Mon 26-Oct-20 10:24:39

Well, I'll certainly be more proactive next year. Last year, they offered me the jab at the pharmacy when I was picking up my medication. Lesson learned.

SueSocks Mon 26-Oct-20 10:28:55

Husband should get a free flu jab, has never bothered with it. This year I insisted that he had it. No communication from GP but I was told by friends that they had a 6 week wait time for appointments, this was mid September, I read in the paper that Boots did not have any supplies. We easily got an appointment with Lloyds Pharmacy who have a branch in Sainsburys. Booked a time for us both on line, he had the free NHS jab and I paid for mine. All very easy. I think you can make phone bookings as well.

dinks13 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:30:50

Been trying to get my flu jab for about the past 5 weeks, had my pneumonia jab a few weeks ago & was told flu jab would be coming soon. I ring up more or less every other day & they say the same, they are waiting for supplies.

moonlight Mon 26-Oct-20 10:32:36

i got a txt early september booked and had mine then partner got txt mid September and has also had his. no problem with booking and one way oin and one way out at doctors, neither of us had problems.

annette18 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:35:35

Always have mine at chemist run out, rang doctors on Monday said no, then asked my age then said come Friday, went Friday straight in and out all done.

Riggie Mon 26-Oct-20 10:37:50

Antonia

The message in September told us not to ring for an appointment, as they would call us.
I have just tried to call the surgery. After five minutes of recorded messages, I was number 21 in the queue! That would probably mean well over an hour's wait, which I won't do. It's probably 21 other people ringing to ask about their flu jab!

It's first thing Monday morning so if its anything like my surgery its their busiest time for phone calls! Maybe try later on.

SillyNanny321 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:42:40

Surgery sent text in early September. Rang them & got an appointment for the next Saturday. Very efficient. Temperature checked at the door. Report to Reception then given a door number where we were met by Doctor or Nurse with syringe ready. Done & out the back door. All took a few minutes. Our area & Doctors are considered some of the lowest lifeforms in the country but our Surgery has shown up so many others so well done them!

polnan Mon 26-Oct-20 10:42:58

I was lucky in that I happened to pop into the surgery, some weeks back, and there was a notice and also the receptionist made an appt for me.. our surgery has arranged days, usually a Saturday for all the flu jabs.. so I got mine some weeks back

Roswell Mon 26-Oct-20 10:44:37

I had an email from our local Lloyds in September inviting me to book a jab. Booked immediately and husband and I had ours at the end of September. Pharmacist said she only had two more weeks' supply!

leeds22 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:48:18

I rang the surgery late September, was told the info letters were ready to go out but that as I was on the phone I could make an appt, so had my jab early October. Our surgery seems to have been very efficient.

Blossoming Mon 26-Oct-20 10:55:59

I got a text from the GP telling me to ring for an appointment. Had the jab about a month ago.

Nannan2 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:56:27

We in our house had ours in Boots over a month before Drs got round to offering us one there.But 2 of us still had them free- but 17 year old son had to pay because he 'could just wait & get it free at drs'! Which makes no sense at all as we all 3 would have got it free at drs- regardless of age and arent under 18's usually getting free medications etc anyway? And other son still had to pay for a pneumonia jab even though hes got a neurological condition same as his brothers, who got it free at drs because hes under 18! The different 'rules' are sending the world insane. ?

Plunger Mon 26-Oct-20 10:58:56

Had mine 4 weeks ago. No problem and very efficient.

Candelle Mon 26-Oct-20 10:59:03

Our surgery was really on the ball - we had ours early in September (in a gazebo in their front garden area!).

Very quick and efficient.

Nannan2 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:00:34

I remember a few years back when i first enquired about the flu jab at our G.P.'s as i was seeing dr for something else& he said "yes i can do that"& he jabbed me there& then. Things have changed dramatically.

Jillybird Mon 26-Oct-20 11:01:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nightsky2 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:02:39

Lloyds pharmacy at Sainsbury’s had some last week. Try phoning them if you have a local one. I think it cost around £12/14.

BusterTank Mon 26-Oct-20 11:03:11

Tried to ring the doctors and the message said if your ringing about the flu jab , you will get an invitation when it your turn .