Gransnet forums

Health

Can't get flu jab

(136 Posts)
Antonia Mon 26-Oct-20 08:58:28

DH and I had texts from the surgery late September, telling us that flu jabs would take place on each Saturday in October, and that we would be given an appointment.
The four Saturdays have now gone, and no appointment for either of us. We are late sixties and mid seventies.
I tried to book a private jab at Boots, only to find that Boots appear to have run out of the vaccine.
Anyone else experienced this?

4allweknow Mon 26-Oct-20 19:15:04

When trying to get through to any kind of agency I always try phoning just after a would be lunch hour. Doesn't seem to have the mad rush of calls as the morning and generally get through easier.

Jani31 Mon 26-Oct-20 20:50:51

I tried every where after going online to my GP who had no appointments till 22nd November for over 65 and to ring if under. 3 minutes of listening to waffle, the receptionist gave me an appointment for 31st October and 7th November for my parents. So simple after 24 hours of worry as no vaccines ?‍♀️

Houndi Mon 26-Oct-20 21:10:31

No one can talk to the receptionist in person they have locked themselves away.Everything is phone consultation expect fluid appointments and if you wait to get through you are 81.I have given up and go private now for my consultation

NotAGran55 Mon 26-Oct-20 21:10:55

I had a text from my surgery in August inviting me to call to make an appointment for the flu jab . No health issues and I had it 4 days after my 65th birthday. A couple of weeks later I was offered the pneumonia jab and had it the following day .

I would have thought that you would have to contact your surgery to make an appointment Antonia ?

Hollycat Mon 26-Oct-20 21:21:01

We had an unsolicited call from the doctors giving us an appointment which we had last Sunday, but my friend who is 72 and her mother who is 98 can’t get one. We live in North Essex, they are in Northampton.

Antonia Mon 26-Oct-20 21:24:27

NotAGran55 thank you for your reply. I have had a text from the surgery, saying they acknowledge that we haven't been able to access the flu jab yet, but that we will be called in when they have more supplies. And thank you all for your interesting comments.

NotAGran55 Mon 26-Oct-20 21:30:34

Antonia

NotAGran55 thank you for your reply. I have had a text from the surgery, saying they acknowledge that we haven't been able to access the flu jab yet, but that we will be called in when they have more supplies. And thank you all for your interesting comments.

Ah that’s good news . I hope that it won’t be too much longer for you .

Sawsage2 Mon 26-Oct-20 21:43:49

Read today that, with most people wearing masks, they'll be very little flu this year. I worked for nhs for over 30 yeats, never had flu jab, never had flu.

CaledoniaC Mon 26-Oct-20 22:15:58

Local Authority NHS letter arrived on 18th Sept to make Flu Jab appointments. Phoned immediately, held on 20 minutes and then through all the recorded 'blurb', before it telling me to 'Hang Up'! Next, I messaged to the given text number. Reply received on 24th Sept, saying I'll be sent appointments 'next week and plenty of slots'. Nothing came. Then I read on Facebook that the Text requests had been 'Lost', but there was nothing on our Surgery's own website except 'DO NOT CALL US REGARDING FLU VACCINES'. So, undaunted, I phoned letter number again - same old rigmarole, ending with the abrupt 'Please Hang Up!' message. I then sent a request to the email address on the original letter and got an immediate reply stating that, since 1st October, this was no longer the correct email address!!! How was I to know that? It stated that my request had been passed on to the new one however. This was now 15th October! (Several friends who applied after me by email, had their vaccinations done by the end of September.) Where was I going wrong? Suddenly, on 18th October, I received a TEXT to say 'you now have appointments on 6th November' - 7 weeks after my original request! Also I wonder: What has happened to my email request AND how did they retrieve my phone number to text me after all? Apparently they had sent out over 70,000 letters on the SAME DAY, then couldn't cope with the flood of calls, texts and emails.

Polly4t42 Mon 26-Oct-20 22:57:18

Got mine at boots back in September my husband and daughter in law got hers in October at the Dr and my son got his in a walk in at Superdrug. Our 3 yr old grandson gets his Wednesday at the Dr. So all will be done then

Happysexagenarian Mon 26-Oct-20 23:05:08

I received a letter in September asking me to phone for an appointment, I did and was given an appointment for the following week. I enquired if my husband would be sent a letter and she said "Oh I'll book him in now if you like" His appointment was the week after mine. Apparently our medical practice has ample supplies of vaccine, and the local pharmacy is practically dragging people in off the street as they have plenty to go around. It seems availability of supplies varies considerably from one area to another.

MissAdventure Mon 26-Oct-20 23:07:46

I have been very lucky then.
I phoned my doctors on Wednesday last week, and have my Jan this Thursday. (I've never had one before)

MissAdventure Mon 26-Oct-20 23:09:00

Jab! Jab! angry
I never believed people who claimed their phones changed words, but now mine does.

pengwen Mon 26-Oct-20 23:14:00

We booked an appointment for last week ,booked online in September.( Usually can book most appointments like this but only flu vaccine for now).
Excellent ,organisation great,done in a church hall which is a large space.
A nurse and doctor giving the vaccine,health care assistants checking temperature and asking if anyone had symptoms,receptionist checking everyone in.
Happy with service here.

BStP Tue 27-Oct-20 00:38:08

DH aged 66 had his injection in Sept at the request of the gp. I usually get an invite for a flu jab too but was told that this year due to shortages and fact I am under 65 I was not eligible. I eventually had mine at Lloys chemist 10 days ago. I was lucky as friend who had appointment the next day at the same chemist had her appointment cancelled as they had run out of supplies

MissAdventure Tue 27-Oct-20 00:53:47

I'm a bit scared of having it. People always say these things don't hurt, but...

Mamardoit Tue 27-Oct-20 05:21:32

I would certainly say it doesn't hurt. Having a blood pressure check is worse.

It really does take just a second. I had mine last week. It all worked like clockwork and they got over 200 people through in a session. DH was called for his early on because he is older with other problems but I did have ring a few times to get a slot.

Annapops Tue 27-Oct-20 08:40:16

I would definitely use Boots again. We had our flu jab in Sept. I had booked as soon as I saw them advertise a booking system on their website for when the vaccine would become available. We had both the flu jab and pneumonia jab within a week of each other with no problems. There were no queues, just us, straight in and out. When we went for our pneumonia jab at the end of September, I did see a notice on the counter saying they could add no more appointments to their current list. This was the end of September. Pleased I booked so early.

MissAdventure Tue 27-Oct-20 09:55:29

Thank you, Marmardoit. smile

Omits01 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:02:00

Well, I had a jab two years ago and then got the worst attack of my life! It was 99% likely IMO due to the jab (reaction to). So I don't take up the offer now. Thinking about it if we are all taking extreme care not to get the nasty little fellows calling then it is unlikely we will catch ordinary 'flu.

[Hmm}

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:05:32

None sure that is terribly advisable to be honest.

We are doing it to try to protect the NHS as well as ourselves.

I had the jab a couple of weeks ago and slept all day the next day but DH had no reaction at all.

Reaction to the jab isn’t remotely like actual flu

Aepgirl Tue 27-Oct-20 11:43:15

I was contacted by my GP, booked an appointment, and had mine a couple of weeks ago. My daughter and her husband go to a different surgery. He is ‘vulnerable’ and my daughter therefore has a vulnerable husband. They are in their mid-40s and have both had their jabs this week.

GrauntyHelen Tue 27-Oct-20 17:33:04

Jabs being delivered by health board here knowing that they could not organise a piss up in a brewery I made appointments at Lloyds chemist we both had age appropriate jab a fortnight ago When it comes to health you have to be proactive

Esspee Tue 27-Oct-20 18:03:18

At last, I’ve received my appointment letter. I get my jab next week.
Poor show Glasgow.

nannyof4 Fri 06-Nov-20 11:53:18

We have been waiting since end of October and yes we are on the list for it,we called the drs surgery on Monday to find out when to expect it and was told it will be soon,not a date or anything and we are 70s hubby more at risk than me with health problems.