Gransnet forums

Health

Massage - wonderful in such stressful times

(102 Posts)
biba70 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:26:42

just about to go for a massage with a lovely young therapist I trust 100%. She will mix traditional massage with shiatsu and acupressure/reflexology. 1 and 1/2 hours of sheer bliss. Not been able to go due to Covid - but I am sure it will do me a power of good.

GagaJo Thu 21-Jan-21 16:51:32

I think it depends on the therapist Millie. I had a WONDERFUL masseur about 5 years ago. She was amazing. The best bit was the facial massage.

I have more recently (not this year obviously) had a massage and she wasn't anywhere near as good. The massage was far too soft, and was more like being stroked.

Kalu Thu 21-Jan-21 16:53:38

Still not quite getting it there biba. I have an indoor gym with plenty space and windows to open but no one is allowed into our home, as I have explained, due to lockdown.

Very wise Gagajo

BlueSky Thu 21-Jan-21 18:44:19

Are massage therapists allow to practice at the moment? No I would hate being touched by a stranger.

biba70 Thu 21-Jan-21 18:47:06

Well she never worked on my face or chest- and worked on shoulders and around that area with me prone. And I certainly did not cough on her- and all precautions taken. She has chosen to continue to work and is happy to only see clients she knows for the time being.

PamelaJ1 Thu 21-Jan-21 21:37:32

We aren’t allowed to choose to work in the U.K.

GrannyRose15 Thu 21-Jan-21 21:42:12

biba70

just about to go for a massage with a lovely young therapist I trust 100%. She will mix traditional massage with shiatsu and acupressure/reflexology. 1 and 1/2 hours of sheer bliss. Not been able to go due to Covid - but I am sure it will do me a power of good.

How on earth are you able to go for a massage? Do you live in heaven? I won't be able to get one until this blasted lockdown is over. And I can't get anyone to come to the house either. I do envy you.

GrannyRose15 Thu 21-Jan-21 21:52:28

It is a real shame that the UK government don't recognise the benefits of therapeutic massage. It's classed alongside hair and beauty salons and prostitution (that's where the extras come in) and is therefore non-essential. So old fashioned and short sighted of them. If I could have my regular massage not only would I not be suffering from fibromyalgia quite so badly, but I wouldn't feel so angry with the government all the time.

Urmstongran Thu 21-Jan-21 22:01:26

I love having reflexology. It’s the best ever treat for myself. Makes me feel lighter somehow and super relaxed. When all this lockdown is over I’m going to find a good therapist and treat myself to some sessions. The Irish lady I used to go to retired last year.

Glad to hear you’re better from the virus biba with no after effects.

biba70 Thu 21-Jan-21 22:05:34

Yes, I am lucky that here a massage is considered as therapy and a form of medical treatment. Many people can actually get therapeutic massage by qualified massage therapist as part of their health insurance (not us as we only have basic insurance- we were too old and with too many pre-exisiting to be accepted for 'complimetary/supplemental' insurance.

biba70 Thu 21-Jan-21 22:06:32

Thank you Urmstongran- yes, I was lucky to get away with it so lightly and with no after effects. Very.

Chewbacca Thu 21-Jan-21 22:24:06

Each to their own.

BlueBelle Fri 22-Jan-21 04:44:19

Well youre not living in a country where people are dropping dead in their thousands bibi and let’s be honest your not in the least bit sorry for posting about your massage as you went on to rub our noses in it even more with your second post ???
Granny rose the government has got most things wrong but there is no way you could safely have one to one hands on with a stranger when we are all supposed to be in contact with one other person only

janeainsworth Fri 22-Jan-21 07:16:01

Bluebelle shockgrin

CanadianGran Fri 22-Jan-21 07:31:28

I went for a massage for stiff neck/shoulders earlier last year; at that time it was a service still provided.
The registered therapist had every precaution; masks for both of us, a HEPA air filter in the room, and a nifty trick of a tightly woven pillow case over the head piece on the massage table, so you were breathing down into it.

We have had a tighter lock down of services, and now they are lifted again. We can go to dentist/optometrist/hairdresser and massage therapist for now. I haven't been since last year since I haven't had any shoulder issues, but would if I felt it necessary.

I think massage therapy is wonderful, and the therapists well trained, so don't see it as frivolous.

phoenix Fri 22-Jan-21 08:07:33

As I'm currently experiencing a most unwelcome bout of shingles across my back, side, ribs, chest and stomach I think a massage would just about finish me off!

Take a pretty brave therapist to go anywhere near it too. Mind you, could have the side effect of removing any dry skin from their hands blush

PamelaJ1 Fri 22-Jan-21 09:22:10

Poor you phoenix my mum has just had it and been very unwell. Hope you feel better soon.

petra Fri 22-Jan-21 09:30:38

Bluebelle
Exactly.!!!

M0nica Fri 22-Jan-21 09:46:34

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who doesn't enjoy a massage.

I had one first with a spa day, it was alright, but didn't leave me thinking 'OOOh, this is for me'. The second one I felt like getting up and walking out halfway through. Nothing to do with the masseuse, I just do not enjoy massage.

Kalu Fri 22-Jan-21 09:51:28

Bluebelle
As the op avidly follows what is happening in the uk, she must surely be aware we are in lockdown I would have thought. ?

Iam64 Fri 22-Jan-21 10:01:08

Bluebelle ????

Riverwalk Fri 22-Jan-21 10:20:57

Now now girls, a bit of ganging-up going on here! There are a few grans in Oz who mention sunshine & BBQs with family, etc. has anyone made swipes at them?

I thought it was an 'unwritten rule' that posters can talk about their lives without worrying about whether it will upset someone who's not in the same fortunate position. For example an anniversary dinner which might upset a recent widow.

There was a recent thread about booking cruises, obviously you have to have a few bob to do that - meanwhile another poster mentioned living on £7 a day. Are the cruisers to keep quiet?

GagaJo Fri 22-Jan-21 10:24:15

Oh if only the ganging up were a rare occurence Riverwalk. It is school gangs all over again. Are you familiar with the movie 'Mean Girls'?

phoenix Fri 22-Jan-21 10:37:44

GagaJo

Oh if only the ganging up were a rare occurence Riverwalk. It is school gangs all over again. Are you familiar with the movie 'Mean Girls'?

And that remark helps, does it Gagajo?

BlueBelle Fri 22-Jan-21 11:12:20

For goodness sake I voiced an opinion, which I stick to, I didn’t ask anyone to agree with me, if that constitute ganging up, well I despair,
Riverwalk we re not in kindergarten did you clap your hands when you said that ??
Gagarin just who is supposed to be being ‘mean’ ??

Kalu Fri 22-Jan-21 11:16:46

Mean girls. Depends on ones thoughts who the mean girls are of course.