Gransnet forums

Health

Massage - wonderful in such stressful times

(101 Posts)
biba70 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:26:42

just about to go for a massage with a lovely young therapist I trust 100%. She will mix traditional massage with shiatsu and acupressure/reflexology. 1 and 1/2 hours of sheer bliss. Not been able to go due to Covid - but I am sure it will do me a power of good.

Charleygirl5 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:32:04

You are braver than I thought being in a small room for that length of time, probably no window and the only ventilation will be an open door which you will not want.

You will be in very close contact with the masseuse for quite a long time- good luck to you.

GagaJo Thu 21-Jan-21 12:34:24

I have been thinking for a few weeks I need a massage. Such tense shoulders.

Kalu Thu 21-Jan-21 13:05:41

This treatment is classed, non essential, in our country so we will have a long wait to experience such pleasures.

I personally feel it would be a risk not worth taking for those who enjoy something like this.

petra Thu 21-Jan-21 13:09:23

Particularly hard when it's your own daughter who is the masseuse. But then we are sticking to the rules and not mixing

Charleygirl5 Thu 21-Jan-21 13:09:26

I could not agree more- sorry biba I forgot you are not in lockdown there.

BlueBelle Thu 21-Jan-21 13:32:01

Nice if you’re not in Lockdown where are you living biba ?
Nothing like a good old dah diddy da dah ?

tanith Thu 21-Jan-21 13:35:34

I’d love to have a massage but I’ve never got over a friend who went and was offered ‘other services’ she was horrified it was years ago. I’d like a local recommendation of a nice lady masseuse.

GagaJo Thu 21-Jan-21 13:56:38

I've had many massages and never been offered other services. I don't know whether to feel grateful or offended!

PamelaJ1 Thu 21-Jan-21 14:08:29

Well I’ve delivered many massages and aromatherapy over the years. Never offered anything that wasn’t on ‘the tin’.
Here’s one of the pictures in my salon

PECS Thu 21-Jan-21 14:08:53

Hmm.. not sure but would think majority of posters,are in lockdown. Not very sisterly to tease us with your luck biba70. Am sure yiu did it withoutca thought! I won't begrudge you the relaxation many of us would love to enjoy. Keep your mask on.

Callistemon Thu 21-Jan-21 14:10:04

PamelaJ1
grin

PamelaJ1 Thu 21-Jan-21 14:11:54

By the way, it has been shown that massage boosts the immune system. Very handy at the moment.

GagaJo Thu 21-Jan-21 14:12:28

I'm where she is and not getting massages. It's not just Brits in Blighty going without..

Callistemon Thu 21-Jan-21 14:20:07

Biba told us she had Covid a couple or three weeks ago, so presumably has now recovered and has had a negative test, so the risk should be low.
If you catch it again, I would imagine it would not be as bad due to you having antibodies.

By the way, it has been shown that massage boosts the immune system. Very handy at the moment.
I used to have aromatherapy massages, very gentle ones and very soothing.

Perhaps I'll go and rub an aromatherapy rollerball across my temples to relieve the stress.

janeainsworth Thu 21-Jan-21 14:54:40

Biba told us she had Covid a couple or three weeks ago, so presumably has now recovered and has had a negative test, so the risk should be low.

My understanding is that someone who has had the virus can still transmit it, in the same way it is thought vaccinated people can.

Which is why our lockdown here in the UK won't be lifted any time soon and the hospitality industry has been warned that it's likely to be May before pubs, hotels and restaurants will be able to re-opn.

Riverwalk Thu 21-Jan-21 15:02:21

PamelaJ1

Well I’ve delivered many massages and aromatherapy over the years. Never offered anything that wasn’t on ‘the tin’.
Here’s one of the pictures in my salon

That must be me on the massage slab grin

Lovely picture!

BlueBelle Thu 21-Jan-21 15:06:24

I’ve got a card for an Indian head massage sitting on my shelf
Waiting and waiting and waiting ......

seacliff Thu 21-Jan-21 15:09:39

I have only tried one. I didn't enjoy it, couldn't relax with a stranger touching me.

Riverwalk Thu 21-Jan-21 15:20:38

I love a good massage with oils in luxurious surroundings but maximum of an hour.

biba70 Thu 21-Jan-21 15:21:14

Just come back and realise now how insensitive it was to share. I was so happy about it, I didn't think about such 'treatments' not available in UK at the mo.

Yes, had Covid and recovered. Huge attic room open on two floors, lots of windows- and mainly a young therapist/masseuse I know well and who takes all necessary precautions and who has the immune system of a very fit young person.

It was wonderful and we have decided to have 4 short sessions of 20 minutes every week till end of Feb- to continue to work on the congestion and lack of free movement of the patella on my very bad injured + replaced knee (3 years ago). I work on it every morning for 15 mins, massaging, and using acupressure points- and it is helping.

Gaga ask colleagues for a good recommendation and go. Wish you were nearer so I could help with those shoulders.

GagaJo Thu 21-Jan-21 15:45:19

I'm not venturing out Biba. Better safe than sorry. I am however avidly waiting for my vaccine. One of my (younger) colleagues has hers next week.

Jaxjacky Thu 21-Jan-21 15:53:03

Not jealous, not jealous.....

Millie22 Thu 21-Jan-21 16:01:42

I had a massage years ago and couldn't wait for it to be over. The therapist or whatever she was got quite uppity when I said I hadn't enjoyed it.

Callistemon Thu 21-Jan-21 16:49:04

My understanding is that someone who has had the virus can still transmit it, in the same way it is thought vaccinated people can.
Yes, that is true janeainsworth
And young, fit people are catching Covid too.