Gransnet forums

Health

Massage - wonderful in such stressful times

(102 Posts)
biba70 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:26:42

just about to go for a massage with a lovely young therapist I trust 100%. She will mix traditional massage with shiatsu and acupressure/reflexology. 1 and 1/2 hours of sheer bliss. Not been able to go due to Covid - but I am sure it will do me a power of good.

janeainsworth Fri 22-Jan-21 11:17:45

So yet another thread started by the OP ends up with accusations of playground behaviour and 'ganging up'.

I wonder why.

henetha Fri 22-Jan-21 11:21:55

Back massage is sheer bliss, but there is no way I would have it right now.

GagaJo Fri 22-Jan-21 11:39:35

Ignoring ganging up isn't acceptable. It makes the observer complicit.

Callistemon Fri 22-Jan-21 11:46:38

phoenix

As I'm currently experiencing a most unwelcome bout of shingles across my back, side, ribs, chest and stomach I think a massage would just about finish me off!

Take a pretty brave therapist to go anywhere near it too. Mind you, could have the side effect of removing any dry skin from their hands blush

Oh, poor you phoenix.
It really is a miserable, painful thing to have and yours sounds quite extensive. I have had it twice and can sympathise so hope you've got the right treatment.

janeainsworth Fri 22-Jan-21 12:02:13

Gagajo Ignoring ganging up isn't acceptable. It makes the observer complicit.
why don’t you just name and shame the gang, then?
Go on.
Making general accusations about nobody in particular isn’t acceptable either.
Especially when they are unfounded.

Iam64 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:53:22

I posted emoticons in dry support for Blubelle. I don’t see that as ganging up or playground behaviour. Of course people can post about anything. Curious that Biba affects not to realise lockdown in the UK precludes massage.

GagaJo Fri 22-Jan-21 13:57:22

Because, jane, naming people is not much better than being a bully.

Flippin' heck, is it REALLY so difficult just to be polite to people, even if you don't like them? I work with people I can't stand. Never said a rude word to them.

grannysyb Fri 22-Jan-21 14:01:14

My Christmas present from DH in 2019 was a voucher from Clarins fo a massage. Due to lockdown restrictions I couldn't get an appointment, finally got one for last November, and then lockdown came back! Still waiting.........

timetogo2016 Fri 22-Jan-21 14:04:10

OOOOH.my worst nightmare as i can`t stand someone who i don`t know touching me or being too close.

Callistemon Fri 22-Jan-21 14:17:10

Why, if posters agree, are they accused of being in a gang, Gagajo?
They're just agreeing with what another poster said.

You've done it yourself, or don't you realise?

janeainsworth Fri 22-Jan-21 14:35:33

Flippin' heck, is it REALLY so difficult just to be polite to people, even if you don't like them?

You’re not at work now, gagajo, so please stop talking to us as if we were your students.
I haven’t seen anyone being impolite on this thread, except possibly you.
And perhaps you could devise some rules and guidelines for posters who want to agree with someone without being accused of bullying and ganging up.

BlueBelle Fri 22-Jan-21 14:42:09

Gosh phoenix that’s a nasty bout of shingles
My friend just had a bad one in her face (and she had previously had the shingles jab a year or two before )
Hope you get well soon

GagaJo Fri 22-Jan-21 14:54:40

Please note, JA, I wasn't the person who initially brought up the ganging up.

For a start, THIS is not polite.
Go on.
Making general accusations about nobody in particular isn’t acceptable either.
Especially when they are unfounded.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jan-21 16:00:00

I suppose when you agree with someone this is where a simple ‘tick’ or ‘like’ button would suffice.

No-one could then be accused of ganging up. It would be anonymous but would demonstrate a level of agreement with a poster’s comment.

However input might be lessened that way.
Discussion is good surely?

How best to agree with a statement then without garnering accusations of ‘ganging up’.?

janeainsworth Fri 22-Jan-21 16:04:53

Gagajo For a start, THIS is not polite. "Go on. Making general accusations about nobody in particular isn’t acceptable either. Especially when they are unfounded".

Which bit isn't? I can't see that it is any less polite than your comments on this thread. I obviously need educating.

Chewbacca Fri 22-Jan-21 16:57:08

Only just seen this thread and I'm a bit surprised that biba, who knows the UK very well, and is abreast of all that's happening here regarding COVID and the resulting restrictions, has posted to boast about being able to enjoy 1 and 1/2 half of blissful massage That wasn't very kind or considerate, knowing that millions of us have barely left our homes to see our families for almost a year now, let alone enjoy close contact beauty treatments. What was the purpose of doing that if not to cause envy and resentment? I'm surprised at you biba; whilst I often don't agree with you politically, I've never known you to be unkind before.

Callistemon Fri 22-Jan-21 17:12:57

I'm surprised at you biba; whilst I often don't agree with you politically, I've never known you to be unkind before.

It just felt as if it was deliberately taunting, I'm sorry to say, and I am very surprised too.
You are not thoughtless, biba and you do know exactly what is happening here.

I'm not ganging up, just disappointed that you not only felt the need to tell us you were going but then, after posters expressed their views about our lockdown etc, you then came back and told us how wonderful it was.

Mean girls. Depends on ones thoughts who the mean girls are of course.
Well, I know exactly who is being mean on this thread.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jan-21 17:21:01

I don’t think biba meant to be unkind. Yes, she’s well aware of the restrictions over here in the UK but as she doesn’t live here I dare say she’s entitled to be happy with what is allowed in Switzerland.

Last summer I was in Malaga. In the sunshine, enjoying drinks and meals on sunny terraces. I knew this wasn’t allowed in the UK at times. I didn’t post to gloat. I was just saying what I was doing that day.

Perhaps some people were upset to read what a nice life I was enjoying. I wasn’t breaking any rules, just going along with what was allowed in Spain at that time. Some posters said they actively enjoyed reading about my days (living vicariously I suppose).

When I read biba’s OP I just thought ‘lucky you’ and ‘I wish’!

Our turn will come.

Millie22 Fri 22-Jan-21 19:05:36

Well I certainly enjoyed reading your news from Malaga last summer. It helped to feel a connection to a place we love when we couldn't go ourselves. It's not quite the same from Manchester!!

PECS Fri 22-Jan-21 19:34:22

Gagajo I am not sure if you consider me one of the posters whose comments on this thread you took exception to but I always strive to be polite and courteous and to debate an issue.
I am not a frequent poster & my memory is not as efficient as it used to be so I do not often remember posts or who said what when between my visits to GN.
I do find it odd that if people respond in a similar way to a post some people consider it bullying or ganging up! It could make people feel they should not post for fear of being accused of "ganging up"...perhaps they feel bullied into keeping quietconfused

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jan-21 19:36:16

I know! Rain, & grey skies here. Nothing like ‘over there’ with sun, sea and sangria! Glad you enjoyed my nonsense from last year.
?

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jan-21 19:36:45

That was to Millie btw.

Chewbacca Fri 22-Jan-21 19:44:23

How many posters disagreeing with an OP does it take to be "a gang"? And once that limit has been reached, does that mean that all subsequent posters must agree with the OP in order that balance and fairness is achieved? Do the same rules apply over all subjects/topics to be discussed or is the gang/majority rule only on specified threads or OPs?

Skallagrigg Fri 22-Jan-21 19:46:46

After all the walking in my boots these last few months a luxury foot pedicure and deep heat treatment is on my list of things to do after lockdown. Think it might be a while of yet though.

Ramblingrose22 Fri 22-Jan-21 19:52:48

Has anyone tried out a hand-held massager?

I'd like to get one for DH to apply over my back and shoulders as he's hopeless with his hands (!?!).