Gransnet forums

Health

Vaccine reactions?

(48 Posts)
Sonatina7 Thu 11-Feb-21 11:38:44

Good morning to all.
I am yet to have my vaccine.
My mum had no reactions at all at 85 yrs.
I always react badly to flu vaccine, feeling like I have the flu. Maybe because I have M.E and weak immunity. I'm still keen to have it as I think it's the most humanitarian thing to do even though I'm pretty sure that I had covid in April.
How have your reactions been to the vaccine?
Especially those with underlying health conditions?
Think I need a little encouragement and positivity boost!
Hope you are all keeping well and thank you.

Marydoll Thu 11-Feb-21 11:44:14

I am immune supressed and have multiple comorbidities, which have required shielding since last March. I had a heart attack last month, so not in the best of health.
Last night I finally got the Oxford vaccine. My clinicians were concerned about me having it, as I am also allergic to a number of medications, but the risk of catching Covid and dying outweighed everything.

This morning, I have a bad headache and sore eyes, that's it! Yes a positive experience for me. I am euphoric!

Blossoming Thu 11-Feb-21 11:45:20

There is a thread about this in the Coronavirus forum ?

www.gransnet.com/forums/coronavirus/1291535-Vaccination-side-effects

Sonatina7 Thu 11-Feb-21 12:43:39

Marydoll I am so happy for you and Blossoming thank you, I am new here and still finding my way around. Lovely people on this site!

Sunlover Thu 11-Feb-21 12:45:36

Off to have mine in an hour. Will report back.

Sparklefizz Thu 11-Feb-21 12:51:43

Sonatina7

Good morning to all.
I am yet to have my vaccine.
My mum had no reactions at all at 85 yrs.
I always react badly to flu vaccine, feeling like I have the flu. Maybe because I have M.E and weak immunity. I'm still keen to have it as I think it's the most humanitarian thing to do even though I'm pretty sure that I had covid in April.
How have your reactions been to the vaccine?
Especially those with underlying health conditions?
Think I need a little encouragement and positivity boost!
Hope you are all keeping well and thank you.

Sonatina7

I have longterm M.E. yet I didn't suffer any reactions to the Pfizer vaccine except for a stiff arm like a pulled muscle.

Some friends seemed to suffer fatigue but then, I am always tired so probably wouldn't notice.

I have a number of other health conditions which I am juggling, including arthritis, pancreas problems, asthma and multiple food intolerances, to name a few, but I was thrilled to have the vax and am looking forward to getting the 2nd one. Having it has given me a real boost of positivity as it feels a step in the right direction towards one day getting out and about.

Go for it, Sonatina7.

Tapdance6 Thu 11-Feb-21 12:55:56

I had my vaccine yesterday and I have had no problems. Go for it.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Feb-21 13:53:01

Husband had the Astra Zeneca jab, he felt fluey for 24 hours along with a headache and sore arm.

I had the Pfizer one, headache for approximately 12 hours and extremely stiff arm for a couple of days (I was just so relieved to get it, Husband put me on the was clinics stand-by list as we live about 3 minutes walk from clinic)

Sonatina7 Thu 11-Feb-21 13:55:12

Thank you Sparklefizz, Lord knows I could do with a bit of fizz and sparke! You put my mind at ease, especially as you also have M.E. Sorry to hear of your multiple health problems, sometimes it feels like a hard road. And Tapdance, well done, onwards and upwards! I am forging ahead and determined to have the best possible outcome. Positivity all the way!

BigBertha1 Thu 11-Feb-21 13:57:50

Sonatina I have several issues including Lupus. I had the Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccination last Saturday with absolute no after effects. Daughter and niece both had a headache after but that soon went. You'll be fine - much better with it than without. flowers

Aveline Thu 11-Feb-21 15:10:43

We're off for ours with an appointment at 16.47pm!

Sparklefizz Thu 11-Feb-21 15:15:59

Sonatina7

Thank you Sparklefizz, Lord knows I could do with a bit of fizz and sparke! You put my mind at ease, especially as you also have M.E. Sorry to hear of your multiple health problems, sometimes it feels like a hard road. And Tapdance, well done, onwards and upwards! I am forging ahead and determined to have the best possible outcome. Positivity all the way!

You'll be fine .... and as others have said, much better with the vaccine than without ! flowers

Rosalyn69 Thu 11-Feb-21 15:28:35

I had the Pfizer one on Sunday and felt all round fluey for 48 hours. Pretty miserable but no regrets.

Aveline Thu 11-Feb-21 19:52:46

Was given the Pfizer vaccine by young medic in combat gear (obviously expecting the worst from us pensioners). All OK. Now waiting I trepidation to see what happens. Or not!

gulligranny Thu 11-Feb-21 19:59:40

As I've reacted to the flu jab previously I was a bit apprehensive. I had the Pfizer jab on 1st February, no side effects at all, not even a stiff arm. Really well organised at our local football club, plenty of charming volunteers to make sure all went well, I was most impressed.

NellG Thu 11-Feb-21 20:05:21

Had mine this afternoon, can't even see where they put the needle and so far feel absolutely fine.

Juliet27 Thu 11-Feb-21 20:15:21

I had the Pfizer one yesterday and I can’t see where they put the needle either. If I press on the area it feels very slightly sore but no symptoms apart from feeling a bit more tired than usual.

Marydoll Thu 11-Feb-21 20:15:43

I was fine last night after the Oxford one. Now my arm is itching and throbbing, but it is worth it for the peace of mind it will eventually bring.

Sonatina7 Thu 11-Feb-21 21:55:49

So glad you've all had a good reaction. I can only hope that I have mine done by young medic in combat gear as Adeline was so blessed! I'm quite looking forward to it now! Thanks lovely ladies.

Esspee Thu 11-Feb-21 22:28:06

I had the Pfizer jag last night. We were delighted with the organisation at the vaccination centre. A friendly welcome, very efficient layout, about 20 desk and chair stations, just two people ahead of us and spaced out chairs for the wait post vaccination. We were back in the car in 20 mins.
You will be fine Sonatina7. I hardly felt the needle and we are both feeling great today.

JenniferEccles Thu 11-Feb-21 22:35:16

As well as the positive accounts on here it’s worth remembering that among the many thousands of people who volunteered to take part in the clinical trials, only very minor, short lived reactions to the vaccine were reported.

A slightly sore arm for a day or so, a mid headache or just feeling a bit below par are nothing compared with the huge benefits the vaccine provides.

Sparklefizz Fri 12-Feb-21 08:19:26

Sonatina7 I can only hope that I have mine done by young medic in combat gear

I hoped for that too! grin We can but dream!

Lilypops Fri 12-Feb-21 08:38:31

I had the Oxford jab last Friday, the next day I was just wiped out and I slept most of the day , I had no energy , but I enjoyed just resting the day away ,I was just so relieved to have had the jab , a slight headache followed for a couple of days , and my arm is still itchy and hot, These symptoms seem to be quite usual after the Oxford one ,
I just feel it’s a step towards normality and I am very grateful ,

blondenana Sat 13-Feb-21 23:09:16

Had mine on the 31st of January, no side effects at all, but a bit itchy a few days after,no soreness or stiffness in my arm

BlueSky Sun 14-Feb-21 00:18:07

Anybody who didn’t have any reactions/side effects? Might have more after the second but hoping it’s still as effective.