Gransnet forums

Health

Scared I have lung cancer

(55 Posts)
Antonia Thu 11-Mar-21 17:41:59

I have shortness of breath, and a cough, and this morning I opened Pandora's box by making a gp appointment. He wants me to go for a chest x ray at the hospital.
I have been putting off making an appointment because I didn't want to go to a hospital, but now I've had my first vaccination, I'm not too worried about going. I'm just so scared that I have lung cancer.

Whiff Mon 12-Apr-21 06:47:24

Antonia glad your X ray was clear. My blood tests showed low sodium levels so had to stop taking my anti reflux tablet. Also folic acid levels low so on a 3 month course of those. The GP who ordered the heart blood tests wanted to speak to me herself so talking to her Friday. But found out last year after seeing a cardiologist and having an echo and bubble echo I was born with a heart defect.Its not a hole as they thought but one of two things. But needs further testing. Have to wait as I am not short of breathe or in pain. My heart beat races but only for a few seconds might only happen once a day. Sometimes more but it doesn't bother me I know what's happening. It was them saying I had heart failure that frightened me. But it only means your heart isn't working to its full potential. Cardiologist said they need to come up with a different way of saying it.

I am on the list for the urologist but can't give me a date for the phone consultation yet. But as Covid levels here are very low hopefully soon. Then hopefully tests and can get it sorted.

Saw my neurologist last February after having seizures for 32 years he gave two tablets not had one in a year. Was under a neurologist where I used to live. Took moving over 100 miles to be seizure free.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 12-Apr-21 06:53:15

So pleased that your X-ray was clear, however you still need to see your GP and find out what the problem is.
Mine was Adult onset Asthma , I have the Coughing Variant, which means I cough a lot and am short of breath , bit I don’t wheeze like some Asthmatics, it was the Practise Nurse that diagnosed me, not my GP.
So hopefully you will soon be sorted.

Liz46 Mon 12-Apr-21 07:36:34

Thanks for letting us know the good news Antonia.

There are plenty of breathing exercises that may help. I swear by walking along a flat prom next to the sea.

I went on a pulmonary rehabilitation course at the hospital but that is for people who are worse than you.

Ellianne Mon 12-Apr-21 07:43:02

That must be such a relief for you Antonia.
It's quite normal to think the worst and worry.
Have a good week.