Gransnet forums

Health

How many hours of sleep do you get a night? ?

(191 Posts)
StellaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 15-Mar-21 09:37:50

We’ve all heard that magic number of aiming for 8 hours sleep per night (we certainly wish!) But how much sleep do you ACTUALLY get a night?
And, more importantly, do you think you get enough? ? moon

Tell us on this thread and be in with a chance to win some fabulous prizes. See here for more info on Sleep Week and what's up for grabs.

Nandalot Mon 15-Mar-21 11:01:16

I might have a couple of good nights with 7 hours or so and then a run of 3 or 4 when I can’t get to sleep till about 3 so about 4 hours then.

carole01 Mon 15-Mar-21 11:03:37

Around 7/8 hours most nights, not always sound asleep though. DH has been sleeping badly for a number years getting only 4/5 hours broken sleep practically every night ☹️

BigBertha1 Mon 15-Mar-21 11:23:42

I have had a full nights sleep for years. I sleep for a couple of hours wake up fight with the pillow to try to relieve the neck pain and then if I'm lucky get two more hours so a total of 4-5 hours a night but never uninterrupted.

DH did the Sleep Laboratory thing on the NHS- didn't work.

NM1568 Mon 15-Mar-21 11:24:57

Between 3 & 4 hours and that’s not in one go , it’s very interrupted ?. I can drop off but wake up within the hour then toss and turn . You name it I’ve tried it over the years ...including the real sleeping tablets zopiclone which did not work even on 7.5mg dose. I’m beyond help, general anaesthetic takes a while to knock me out too , I feel the burning travel all the way up my arm into my neck. I dream lots too when I do drop off .

Nana29 Mon 15-Mar-21 11:26:06

According to my Apple Watch I average 7 1/2 hours a night. During those hours I do however wake up 2 or 3 times. I usually get back to sleep fairly quickly, but not always!!
I never nap during the day.

Janbo68 Mon 15-Mar-21 11:27:45

I was highly suspicious when people used to say "As you get older, you need less sleep".

Rubbish (in my opinion), still NEED it but can't get it! Pandemic notwithstanding, my sleep routine is all over the place. If I get up early my body will not stay awake in the late afternoon so I nap for at least 2 hours (sometimes more). This means I don't sleep until very early hours of the morning so can't get up early again? Vicious circle worsened by the ever increasing symptoms. I put up with with at least one new condition a year.

For the past 5 years seems I've woken up with at least one addition! Pernicious Anaemia (B12 deficiency), Borderline Diabetes, Higher Blood pressure, worsening Asthma, Auto Immune problems and self inflicted 'pig' syndrome that has me two and a half stone heavier since lockdown (I was no lightweight before).

Getting older is not what I anticipated for sure but...it's better than the alternative!

EllanVannin Mon 15-Mar-21 11:29:28

A good 7 hours more often than not. I sleep well.

EllanVannin Mon 15-Mar-21 11:30:49

N.B. I rarely have to get up in the night---bathroom.

Maggiemaybe Mon 15-Mar-21 11:32:43

When I first retired, I’d sleep soundly for 7 hours. Over the past year or so, I’m asleep for 8, but this includes several wakeful periods. I’ll be watching the sleep threads closely this week to see if I can get some tips on how to get more deep sleep.

SusieB50 Mon 15-Mar-21 11:33:08

Always slept like a log before DH died last year . Now I take ages to get to sleep , I go to bed around eleven but often get up a couple of hours after as I can’t sleep . I have some cereal and camomile tea, read and then will drop off around 2.30 usually awake by 7-7.30 so not too bad , but would love to just “hit the pillow “ as before . Hoping it’s also the lockdown affecting me and things will improve .

Lexisgranny Mon 15-Mar-21 11:34:49

Usually about six, if I’m very lucky seven.

Jaxjacky Mon 15-Mar-21 11:39:16

About 7-8 hours, normally get up for the loo once, straight back to sleep.

Molly10 Mon 15-Mar-21 11:44:34

I aim for 7/8 hours but this can vary. Sometimes I can be wide awake after about 5 hours or less but I find after a few days I will settle back in need of a longer sleep.

Redhead56 Mon 15-Mar-21 11:54:01

After retirement was helping with granddaughters for two years. I was up at five thirty and there for eight hours it drained me. I go to bed early hours of the morning now and get about five hours sleep my alarm clock is my arthritic knee.

GrammarGrandma Mon 15-Mar-21 11:55:39

About 7 hours or more but only since I've gone gluten free (before that chronic insomnia). I don't usually get up for the loo but do occasionally. What I've noticed about getting older is that I wake much earlier - about 6am. Doesn't mean I get up then though, unless workmen are coming. Husband brings me a mug of tea at 7am and I either get up then or read/check my phone for half an hour.

AlysonH Mon 15-Mar-21 11:56:40

Depends on the night. Sometimes I manage seven hours - always with a loo break and I'm happy if I go back to sleep again. Other nights, like last night I was up for a couple of hours in the night and then lay in bed until dawn when I finally dropped off...

Esspee Mon 15-Mar-21 12:09:12

7-8 hours usually and if the weather is bad I sometimes have a nap during the day. If I do go to sleep during the day perhaps the term nap is wrong. Left undisturbed I sleep for 2 hours despite OH watching very noisy cowboy films on TV. Having 2 hours downtime during the day does not normally affect my 7-8 hours.
I cannot cope with a bad night’s sleep. The next night I take Phenergan to get me back to my usual deep sleep.

Granny23 Mon 15-Mar-21 12:12:15

Now I am on my own and have medication to stop restless leg, I go to bed late (12 or 1), am asleep in minutes, have at least one toilet trip and wake around 8.30. I usually have a sudden onset of exhaustion around mid afternoon so often catch another couple of hours between 3 and 5 in the afternoon.

I think I must be catching up on lost sleep over many years, suffering with RLS and caring for OH with Dementia

Damdee Mon 15-Mar-21 12:21:05

7-8 hours a night- on good nights. Some nights are good though I rarely sleep through without any waking. Some nights are dreadful and I can't get to sleep til the early hours. The cat isn't allowed into the bedroom at night - it was a rule from the beginning and she is perfectly fine with a bed on a chair and a rug near the aga if she prefers, plus access to outside. I can't believe these people who allow their precious sleep to be disturbed by their cat! Mostly I don't need the loo, but sometimes have to. After my covid jab I had a terrible night, and had to go to the loo four times, plus headache and fever (but I feel it was worth it). Now I sleep in a separate room to my snoring, restless husband at least I sleep better than I did. I never nap during the day unless I am ill, which thankfully is not often.

Craftycat Mon 15-Mar-21 12:25:43

I sleep really well. I tend to go up between 10 & 11 most nights & read for a short while - then I wake up between 7.30 & 8 usually unless the cats are particularly hungry when they wake me earlier for their breakfast. I get up & make a cup of tea & go back to bed & listen to radio 4 to find out what is happening in the world.
DH stays downstairs in his study until very late usually ( he has various computers & a TV in there & we rarely watch the same TV programmes anyway) & then sleeps in late- which really annoys me as I want to get up & get on & it is a pain having him snoring away upstairs.

Authoress Mon 15-Mar-21 12:37:05

Some nights it's fine. Some it's not... 5.30 this morning, after going to bed at midnight sigh

missdeke Mon 15-Mar-21 12:38:46

I usually drop off around half past midnight, then I sleep till around 6.30 and doze till I get up around 8.30. That's on a good night, most nights I start to drop off then within minutes my cough starts and I continue with coughing fits on and off all night. That continues nightly until I can't stand it any longer and I take a short course of steroids for a few days relief before it all starts up again.

silversand12 Mon 15-Mar-21 13:06:55

I have absolutely no idea! I aim for around 10 hours in bed, but with constant waking up and the time it takes to get back to sleep it won't be anywhere near that (wish it was)

GrannySeaside51 Mon 15-Mar-21 13:06:58

I’ve just this morning had a long conversation with my GP about breaking the vicious circle of poor sleep and being tired all day. I go to bed about 10pm after fighting wanting to go about 9pm! I read for a while then fall asleep for a couple of hours waking about 3am (loo visit) and often lie awake worrying about nonsense for a couple of hours. Doze from about 5:30 to 7:39 then get up. I’m weary all day - lots due to anxiety. He’s suggested. valerian which takes 3-3 weeks to work and putting ne in touch with a link worker to help me manage my anxiety to reboot the sleep pattern. Unfortunately all leads to lockdown fatigue.

reelashosser Mon 15-Mar-21 13:38:33

I've never slept well, and in the last five years or so I go off to sleep without any trouble, and can wake up in an hour, two, three or more and be awake for the rest of the night. On very rare occasions, maybe once in three months, I will sleep for 6 hours, never more.

However, now I have a supply of melatonin I usually go back to sleep after a short time, and last night, I had 7 hours sleep and was only awake occasionally.

Lack of sleep has a terrible effect on one's life - I used to dread having to go to work after a really bad night. Now that I am retired I am able to have a nap if I'm overtired.