Gransnet forums

Health

How many hours of sleep do you get a night? ?

(190 Posts)
StellaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 15-Mar-21 09:37:50

We’ve all heard that magic number of aiming for 8 hours sleep per night (we certainly wish!) But how much sleep do you ACTUALLY get a night?
And, more importantly, do you think you get enough? ? moon

Tell us on this thread and be in with a chance to win some fabulous prizes. See here for more info on Sleep Week and what's up for grabs.

queengran Mon 15-Mar-21 09:50:40

I think I get in total around 7. The problem is not necessarily the quantity but the quality though. Those 7 hours are usually interrupted by a couple of loo visits, letting the cat out, anguishing over a conversation that took place 14 years ago grin etc. So although I might go to bed around 10:30 and wake up around 8, I'm definitely not getting that many hours of sleep (and certainly not deep sleep!)

tanith Mon 15-Mar-21 09:55:49

I get between 7/8 most nights occasionally I’ll wake for a loo vist but I think I get plenty of sleep and never ‘nap’.

Charleygirl5 Mon 15-Mar-21 09:59:09

Around 8 hours and that includes a couple of loo visits. Very rarely do I have a disturbed night. Since my cat is no longer here, I have not been wakened at 5 am.

Kate1949 Mon 15-Mar-21 10:01:49

It varies. I usually go to bed quite late and get up about 9 ish since I retired. I had nearly 40 years of getting up at 6 am for work so I don't feel too guilty! Sometimes I sleep right through - 7 ish hours. Sometimes I have to get up for the loo.
During the pandemic, I sometimes have a nap in the afternoon, mainly due to boredom!

ExD Mon 15-Mar-21 10:02:09

A Good night is about 5 hours. I find it difficult to relax and "drop off" no matter how tired I am. I've always been the same and it doesn't cause any problems.

dahville Mon 15-Mar-21 10:05:50

I rarely get more than 6 hours anymore and that is interrupted sleep at that. I love sleep and miss having a good night’s rest. I never wake refreshed anymore.

Grany Mon 15-Mar-21 10:27:01

I don't get so many hours sleep as I use to. I go to bed between 9 and 10.30 It takes me longer to go to sleep, then I wake up, sometimes it varies at 2am 3am 4am 5am then get up at 6am. Or just two wake ups Sleep averages between 3 and 5 hours a night. If really tired will sleep for longer. Always get up early.

grandmajet Mon 15-Mar-21 10:32:53

We go to bed at about 10, listen to The Archers on bbc sounds on the four nights that it is on - our bedtime story - then read for a bit. Asleep by about 11.30.
I wake a couple of times for the loo but on a good night will sleep till about 7.30 or 8. Grandpajet is usually up by then and brings me a cup of tea. So about 7 1/2 hours sleep.
On a bad night I may wake for two or three hours and have to resort to the spare room to read. I then have a daytime nap to avoid grumpiness after 4 or 5 hours of sleep.

Volunteer77 Mon 15-Mar-21 10:33:34

4 to 5 hours unfortunately

Calendargirl Mon 15-Mar-21 10:34:47

Should think I get between 6-7 hours on average. Get up for the loo at least once. If I have nodded off watching tv in the evening, I find it takes me ages to then sleep, so try not to.
It seems ok for me, go to bed 10pm’ish usually.

12Michael Mon 15-Mar-21 10:37:24

I normally retire at around 9 at night ,assuming I have not dropped off watching TV .But I wake up around 6 in the morning .
As I used to work at hours with an early start , the routine as stuck through retirement as well.
Mick

Grany Mon 15-Mar-21 10:38:24

I am helping to bring up my DGD her mum is a single mum who works, so probably having an impact on my amount of sleep.

FlexibleFriend Mon 15-Mar-21 10:39:58

On average 10 hours a night.

Thoro Mon 15-Mar-21 10:41:28

I’m not good if I don’t get enough sleep but I am an early riser (about 5am and can’t get back to sleep) so go to bed between 8.30 and 9 so I get enough sleep. I do fall asleep immediately.
Sadly I had to move to the spare room as my husband started having vivid dreams which woke me up - he has now been diagnosed with dementia.

Grandmajean Mon 15-Mar-21 10:42:32

I wake up quite often and take ages to get back to sleep. The cat is now locked in the utility ( cosy bed and radiator ! ) as I always got a fright if he decided to jump on the bed in the night. I think from reading these posts that very few of us sleep as well as we did when younger. Annoying but true. I have tried all sorts of "calming" drinks etc and even resorted to half ( or less ) of an OTC sleeping tablet . The tablet helps a lot but I feel terrible the next day ( unpleasantly tired and bad tempered - a bit like afer a travel sickness tablet which isn't surprising as both are antihistamines )

Kpnuts Mon 15-Mar-21 10:44:35

3-4, normally shut down about 1:30-2:00am, up at 5:30 for work

Blossoming Mon 15-Mar-21 10:44:54

I’m a light sleeper, I sleep for around 7 hours in total but it’s broken up.

JS06 Mon 15-Mar-21 10:47:18

I tend to get about 5 - 6 hours straight sleep unless interrupted by DH going to the bathroom. If I do wake up I can generally get back off to sleep without too much trouble.

henetha Mon 15-Mar-21 10:52:06

Luckily I get about seven and a half to eight hours most nights, helped by Amitriptyline.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 15-Mar-21 10:52:17

Around 8 and a half hours sleep for the last few months, no getting up in the night either, once my head hits the pillow I’m gone,

cookiemonster66 Mon 15-Mar-21 10:52:39

I am usually in bed by 11pm but it takes me ages to relax and drop off and turn my buzzing head off, so usually by 12 midnight, then naturally wake up between 9-10am BUT I am up and down to the loo all night, toss and turn, very restless, plus also have sleep apnoea so often wake up gasping for breath. So not as refreshing as it sounds!

timetogo2016 Mon 15-Mar-21 10:55:12

On a good night around 5/6 on a bad night 3/4.
Dh gets 3/4 since lockdown.

Anniebach Mon 15-Mar-21 10:55:17

About 4 hours because I have been sleeping on the sofa since January , so i also sleep for a while in the afternoon.

Work being carried out in bedroom today and wheelchair has arrived so hopefully I will be able to sleep in my bed again later this week.

jusnoneed Mon 15-Mar-21 10:59:02

Usually in bed by 10pm, read for half an hour or so then drop off to sleep quite quickly as a rule. Up for the loo somewhere between 2/3am then back to sleep.
Get up around 6.

I've slept much better since having my own room!