Gransnet forums

Health

What's your morning routine? ?

(103 Posts)
StellaGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 16-Mar-21 15:02:34

Are you someone who gets up the minute your alarm goes off? Or are you a snooze button enthusiast like me? What’s the first thing you do when you’re out of bed - is it tea/coffee and breakfast or do you like to have a leisurely morning? Do you find that your routine has changed with lockdown?

By posting on this thread you could win one of the fabulous spot prizes we have on offer this week - please see our Sleep Week page here link for details of the prizes and for the T&Cs. Don’t forget - we’ll be picking 5 winners at random from threads across the week, so the more threads you post on, the more chance you have of winning!

Don’t forget to stay in touch. Sign up to our newsletter here.

Lollin Tue 16-Mar-21 20:20:30

Depends on what is happening that day. Radio comes on and after a while get up and sorted but if a nice leisurely morning usually a good chat until tea/coffee is needed so up and sorted before heading to the kitchen .

Revolucion Tue 16-Mar-21 21:05:08

Typically I wake at 6am, go for a pee and often get back to sleep until 8, take my thyroxine tablet and drink a big glass of water, read in bed til 9 then listen to a podcast or audiobook in the shower and get dressed.

Put on a wash, sort the laundry, make a cup of tea and a boiled egg and toast. Do a wee bit of housework for 20 mins or so then often in the mornings I cook something like chicken pho for lunch or I batch cook maybe lasagne or a stew for dinner. I’m almost retired due to health issues and only work a few hours a week now, self employed, and this has reduced in lockdown.

I now often go for a lunchtime walk with dh who is working from home in lockdown. It should be a low stress lifestyle but the lack of social contact has made me anxious.

mokryna Tue 16-Mar-21 21:32:36

The sunlight alarm starts at 7 and I get up to open the blinds, take medicine with a large glass of water and go back to bed either to iPad or doze. I make a black coffee an hour after the medicine and take it back to bed, as I don’t work now, (forced retirement) and everything is closed. I get up at 9am. At about 11am a take part in a 30min zoom gym lesson nearly every day and after, have a brunch and then an hour’s walk if I didn’t do it before gym.

flowersfromheaven Wed 17-Mar-21 09:36:50

My alarm is set for 6 am unless I am working earlier, first thing is kettle on for a cuppa and take my tablets when I have come round I get washed and ready for work, I do not eat breakfast at home I have it on my break at work.

dragonfly46 Wed 17-Mar-21 09:39:31

I wake up naturally at 7.30, fill a glass of water and swallow my daily pill, then go back to bed for an hour on my ipad as I have to sit upright and not eat or drink in that time. It is a very relaxing start to the day. After that I shower and dress then go downstairs for breakfast.

dahville Wed 17-Mar-21 09:48:05

I used to be the person whose alarm went off at 5 so I could be at the club for a 5:30 workout but then lockdown happened.

I don’t use an alarm but I am usually awake by 6:30 and up by 7. I do stay in bed for a little bit but not excessively.

As restrictions ease I am hoping to go back to my early riser routine.

mumofmadboys Wed 17-Mar-21 10:02:30

I wake about 6 to 6.30 am. Never use alarm. Make a cuppa, read my tablet in bed ( news, e mails, gransnet), walk or cycle for an hour and then have a bath and breakfast. DH gets up later than me.

Flossieflyby Wed 17-Mar-21 10:47:04

My routine has been impacted by lockdown, but not in a bad way. I read now and am not in a rush to get up. On the days I do work it's now online so can dawdle more and don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to get up and out.

Chardy Wed 17-Mar-21 10:50:21

Usually awake before 6am, listen to R4 News & weather, get up within 30-45 minutes, quick shower, toast and tea. Take dog to beach for an hour, hour and a half. Bit more toast and tea. Maybe a very quick shop and maybe watch Lorraine.

libra10 Wed 17-Mar-21 10:56:46

I wake at the crack of dawn, usually disturbed by our little dog climbing on the bed.

When I get up, I make a brew of tea and switch on BBC Breakfast TV; sometimes I read or fire up the laptop, depending how I feel.

Later I take our our dog for a long, leisurely walk, chatting to other doggers on our way. When returning I do some house cleaning, dusting or general tidying up.

Before lockdown I would see friends or family through the week, but not seen them since lockdown.

Happyhound Wed 17-Mar-21 10:58:18

Usually wake without an alarm around 6:30, get up and take the dog out for a walk. This is my favourite time of the day, peaceful and solitary. Then breakfast and shower before anyone else gets up.

Coconut Wed 17-Mar-21 10:58:48

Am an early riser and retired, so no alarm. My routine is to do stretching exercises, meditate then do an Italian lesson while I have a coffee. I’ll then do a power walk, shower and then am ready for whatever the day brings.

henetha Wed 17-Mar-21 11:02:43

My alarm wakes me at 7.45 and I get up almost immediately as I hate staying in bed. First a wee then a cup of tea. Then might watch BBC Breakfast for ten minutes or so. Then shower and get dressed. Then have breafast, just crumpet or toast. Occasionally a boiled egg.

Craftycat Wed 17-Mar-21 11:02:49

I wake up without an alarm & usually lie there listening to radio for about 15 mins & then go downstairs to feed cats & make a cup of tea which I take back to bed. DH is always still asleep. I listen to Radio 4 for the news & get up when I feel like it- usually about 8.30. Then a shower, hair & makeup done I go outside to feed birds & fish & make my coffee, toast & Marmite for breakfast. DH usually coming to about then so I make him a coffee too but do not take it up so it encourages him to get up!

Cambia Wed 17-Mar-21 11:03:42

Best thing about being retired is no alarm! For years we were both up at 5am every day. We still wake around this time but have a cup of tea at six and then stay in a warm bed reading the papers. I appreciate this every single day! I then do 15 mins on my Greek Duolingo and then a ten minute meditation. Out of bed by eight at the very latest! Usually brush my teeth and go for a 30 min walk and then back home for shower, make up and breakfast.

missdeke Wed 17-Mar-21 11:04:54

No alarms for me, but when I had one for work it was up immediately, I never understood a snooze button. Why on earth would you wake up earlier than you had too????? Nowadays it's a slower rising, mainly due to a spinal condition, straight to the bathroom to empty the night bag (I have a urostomy) then I clean it. Then to the kitchen to feed the cat, I take my medication then put away last night's washing up. Next is prepare breakfast and put it out of the cat's reach before heading to the bathroom for a shower and teeth cleaning routine. After the shower I change my urostomy pouch and get dressed. Once dressed I open the laptop and start to check on the news sites, if an hour has passed I'll have my breakfast as I too have to wait an hour after medication before eating. After the news I'll check my emails and then I'm ready for the rest of the day.

Jan51 Wed 17-Mar-21 11:06:15

I don't use the alarm unless I have to get up early to go somewhere. I am usually awake around 7 to 7.30 and as I usually need a wee by then and the bathroom is downstairs I get up then put the kettle on on my way to the bathroom and then prepare DH cereal and fruit ready for when he gets up. I then sit down for an hour with a cup of tea and check mt emails and fb. About 8.30 I have breakfast and do my daily marjong and solitaire puzzles on my tablet. Once DH has woken up and used the bathroom (any time between about 8 & 10) I shower/wash and then go upstairs to get dressed. I can then get on with my day.

1summer Wed 17-Mar-21 11:32:16

I don’t use an alarm but wake anytime between 7 and 8 depending how long I have slept during the night. I have to shower and dress straight away otherwise I am in dressing gown until midday! Then coffee, breakfast and either catch up on TV the news headlines or on my ipad, Check emails. Then organise my day.

grandmaz Wed 17-Mar-21 11:33:42

I’m a real morning person, so am usually awake soon after daylight filters through my eyelids! After a few minutes enjoying the coziness of bed I’m off to the bathroom to do the necessary...then it’s curtains open, kettle on and taking the dog into the garden for a few minutes before she’s fed. Then my huge cup of lovely lady grey tea with milk and on goes ‘Breakfast’. Once I’ve had the first cuppa, it’s either breakfast then shower or vice versa depending on how I feel. Living alone and being retired means that I can do as I like. I’m usually showered, fed dressed and with a lick of makeup on by around 0900-0930. I’d love to be like a friend who can happily stay in bed reading till mid morning but it’s never happened! I think boarding school in the 1960s had a lasting effect...although I don’t shower in ice cold water ...in those days we had to fetch icy water from taps using huge tin jugs...then we strip washed around a set of wash stands, using tin bowls ...even when there was ice on the inside of the dorm windows! We had to make our beds and clean the dorm before we could go down to breakfast! It was hard ...but we knew no different and we were all treated the same way, so we just got on with it! Hopefully times have moved on for today’s boarders!

twinnytwin Wed 17-Mar-21 11:48:44

DH gets up at around 6.50 to make cups of tea. No alarm. I take my meds and then sit in bed reading the newspaper on my iPad until GDs arrive at 7.50. After greeting them, I return to bed to continue reading whilst DH showers and dresses and makes GDs breakfast. I get out of bed at 8.30 to wave GDs off to school (2 minutes walk by themselves 9 & 11yrs) and usually return to bed. DH brings second cup of tea to me. I get up to shower and dress around 9.30 - 10am then have breakfast. I'm shielding so nothing to rush about for. I sew, crochet or embroider whilst watching tv (BBC or Sky News) for the rest of the morning. GDs return at 3.15pm and entertain themselves before being collected by one of their parents around 5.30 - 6pm. Nice life.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 17-Mar-21 11:53:56

I never use the alarm unless I have an appointment which is rare these days. At my last job I rose at 3.30 am so relish not doing so any more. My bladder wakes me and I always enjoy a cup of tea, then wash and dress and back to the kitchen to prepare brunch/lunch. Very mundane I'm afraid but I do not crave excitement.

glammanana Wed 17-Mar-21 11:54:49

No alarm clock here either I am always awake before 7am but it has been known for me to turn over for a while and get up later if not doing anything special.
I don't have breakfast until about 10am after a couple of cups of breakfast tea and turned on GN to browse the conversations of the day.
Showered and dressed after breakfast if I don't feel like going out I will dress in lounge wear for the day or nice PJs.

lilydily9 Wed 17-Mar-21 12:23:17

I'm a night owl so rarely get up before 11.00am. I'm also a multi-tasker, I owe that to my career, before retiring, and can't shake it off! After the kettle, my mobile, laptop and television are switched on and I catch up on all the news and Gransnet of course. Breakfast follows, after which a shower sets me up for the day. I love to write so always have stories rattling around in my head and in draft form. Fresh air and exercise come in the form of a leisurely walk. I love my life!

TooTiredToDance Wed 17-Mar-21 13:12:38

We inherited a six month old puppy recently, and found having her has changed the morning routine for us. Now we are out for a morning walk before 9am, and back for a late breakfast by 1030. It seems to be working well, as the fresh air and exercise seems to be improving my waistline and general well being.smile

silversand12 Wed 17-Mar-21 13:14:24

I don't use an alarm. I wake up when I wake up, and if it's before 8am will roll over and lie with my eyes closed (might put an audiobook on). It's usually some time between 7:30-8:30.

I then spend a bit of time on my laptop before I actually get up. Get up and let the dog out. I may or may not then go out for a walk with him.

Then I settle down with a mug of hot water and spend the rest of the time before lunch doing things on my computer and phone! Nothing much has changed with lockdown