Gransnet forums

Health

Please forgive this whinge

(92 Posts)
vampirequeen Fri 19-Mar-21 10:22:27

I had Covid at Christmas. It was horrible but I seemed to pick and get better. Except I haven't. I'm so tired all the time, get headaches, feel hot and cold for no reason, suffer from all sorts of aches and pains and have brain fog.

I spoke to my GP today. She's organising blood tests but it's a possibility that I've got long Covid or it's triggered my ME symptoms again.

I'm sorry this is just a whinge but I'm so fed up.

TillyWhiz Sat 20-Mar-21 15:36:22

My husband had Chronic Lyme Disease and had similar symptoms as those with Long Covid. It's worth researching Post Viral Symptoms.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 20-Mar-21 15:48:27

Whinge away, Vampire it's no wonder you feel rotten. It sounds like it could be a combination of the two things you mention which have decided to gang up on you. flowers I hope you feel better soon.

Nanna58 Sat 20-Mar-21 16:41:25

?vampirequeen , my stepdaughter has Long Covid and it’s wretched.All the best to you

crazygranny Sat 20-Mar-21 16:50:47

So very very sorry. I hope you feel better very soon. xx

Nanette1955 Sat 20-Mar-21 17:07:11

Good to have a whinge, it’s actually therapeutic, but I do hope you get a proper diagnosis, then you’ll get the treatment to help you on your way out of your low state.x

Summerfly Sat 20-Mar-21 17:37:09

Sending love and hugs VQ. ???

Shropshirelass Sun 21-Mar-21 09:57:10

My DH has ME, that is bad enough without having long Covid! Have you looked at Ketogenic or Low Carbohydrate way of eating. It will help to eliminate sugars and reduce carbs, this promotes healing in the body and might be worth trying. It doesn’t work overnight but will make a difference. Good luck, I hope you start to feel better soon. It is awful feeling ill day after day with no end in site but it will get better.

Tabbycat1 Sun 21-Mar-21 19:52:11

So sorry to hear you had covid and that you are still suffering the effects , I hope you start to feel better soon. Hopefully the warmer weather is on it's way and you will be able to get in the garden or go for a walk. Feel better soon.

ElaineI Sun 21-Mar-21 22:17:17

I have read that Covid seems to trigger glandular fever so maybe ask your doctor for a blood test for that? It has been researched on people with long Covid.

natasha1 Mon 22-Mar-21 16:58:08

I hope you feel better soon. Regarding the crying over not editing the Morrisons list, you are not alone I have cried over forgetting passwords and piles of laundry in the past few weeks.
Be kind to yourself and hopefully you will feel better, shortly.

nadateturbe Mon 22-Mar-21 17:28:03

Vampirequeen how awful having both long covid and M.E.
Bad enough M E. It's the reason I can never put a sensible post together on GN - brainfog and lack of energy. I know what I want to say but get exhausted trying to! What I'm trying to say is don't be hard on yourself. You know you arent stupid. Your forgetfulness etc is because of your illnesses. You will feel better. Just take it easy and take your time. If you stress about it it won't help. Other people have given good advice regarding long covid. I do recommend vitamin D3 and cutting down on sugar. flowers

vampirequeen Mon 22-Mar-21 18:49:35

Thanks for all the good wishes. I think it's going to be an up and down recovery. Today was a good day so of course I did too much and tired myself out. That said it was nice repotting plants and reorganising things. I guess I'll pay for it tomorrow but the garden is looking better.

Callistemon Mon 22-Mar-21 19:20:06

Yes, you have to learn to pace yourself, it's not easy.
?

maddyone Mon 22-Mar-21 19:34:56

vampirequeen I’m so sorry you’re still feeling so unwell. There are a few of us on here who had Covid, some quite mildly, but others like you, much more seriously. I was hospitalised for twelve days, and had excellent treatment, and a lot of it, about nine I think, different treatments and medications. I wonder if you might have done better if you had been hospitalised, because there you get the best care. I was ill over Christmas like you, and was hospitalised on 1st January. If it helps, I took a long time to recover even after I came home. I could barely walk upstairs when I got home, I had to keep stopping to get my breath, but I can run upstairs again now. I did my longest walk since Covid yesterday, four and a half miles, but I was very tired afterwards. I still get a bit breathless if I talk too much (a little problem of mine) and I’ve still got a Covid cough, and I’m still getting pains in my chest, the lower left lung to be precise, where the Covid pneumonia was, but I’m soooo much better and improving all the time. Give yourself time, you didn’t have treatment in hospital to help you recover, and so it might take a bit longer. Believe you’ll get there, and don’t beat yourself up if it takes time. We’re still in lockdown, so just take your time and recover slowly. Good luck.

vampirequeen Tue 23-Mar-21 20:11:58

I got a sort of middling version. I wasn't ill enough to go to hospital but I was very ill for a couple of weeks then the weeks of recovery began.

I've managed to gradually increase my walking strength back up to 2 miles. Before Covid we'd walk 6+ miles without thinking. I haven't been on my bike since Covid. I know I will have lost my hill legs but I'm waiting for my Swytch to arrive so that will not only help on the hills but will boost my confidence and help as I rebuild my strength.

I know I'm my own worst enemy. I rest when I have to but use good days to do too much. I have ME exhaustion warnings (my lips tingle) but there is no warning with long Covid. I can be feeling OK then suddenly I'm exhausted and taking to my bed.

maddyone Tue 23-Mar-21 20:22:58

vampirequeen
You will get there, but it takes a long time. Just take one day at a time and you’ll gradually improve flowers