Gransnet forums

Health

Just need a handhold & support

(45 Posts)
Itsawelshthing Thu 29-Apr-21 08:03:01

Hi everyone. I hope you're all doing well?.. Just wanted to post this thread really because I just can't hold it together anymore and feel like I need to let it all out sad will try and cut long story short. I am 28 years old & a month ago, my son and I came down with a nasty vomiting bug. He just vomited constantly for 5 days. He recovered then I started to feel nauseous so I thought oh here we go.... Lasted 7 days! Couldn't eat a thing, then the diarrhoea started. I had no vomiting just nausea and diarrhoea. It was like water and bright yellow constantly. Everything I ate just came through me. This continued for about 2w, then slowly my pooh stared getting back to normal and now I'm back to being constipated again... I've always been like this!

My next symptom was me beginning to rapidly lose weight and completely lost my appetite. I put this down to not eating cos I felt so ill so that played a part but I am still continuing to lose weight and dropped 3 sizes. I been docs and he has done every single test from my thyroid, iron, full blood count, coeliac, liver, kidneys, calprotectin, faecal occult, bacteria and parasites.. Every single one came back absolutely clear and normal. I'm not diabetic either! Been checked for that too.

I got a bit b12 and vit D test done which came back severely deficient and the symptom of vit b12 says weight loss and fatigue which I'm having... I am so bloody tired all the time. But my absolute fear is bowel cancer or some issue with my stomach area.. Something sinister going on. The gp did say cos my bloods are OK chances are small but I've been referred to the hospital anyway to see what's the problem so I'm just waiting to hear sad I had a panic attack this morning.. I am eating every thing you can possibly think of as my appetite has come back and yet I am not gaining a single pound whereas before I would struggle to lose weight and would easily gain it.

Its gotten to the point that I am checking my stools. Sorry to sound gross but my poo came out a bit dark and I scooped it out and crushed it to make sure it was brown and not black!! I know it is disgusting but that is how much this is affecting me. I have a young boy that I need to be here for. I know that I can't change the outcome but I'm so scared sad sad

Froglady Thu 29-Apr-21 08:08:59

I sued to have to have B12 injections every 3 months, that was after 5 injections in 2 weeks as a loading dose. Now I don't need to have them.
B12 can be a problems for vegetarians and vegans I've heard as it can mostly be in meat eaters diets. Marmite has B12 and is veggie but Bovril isn't veggie.
Hope you get it sorted.

Itsawelshthing Thu 29-Apr-21 08:25:20

Froglady

I sued to have to have B12 injections every 3 months, that was after 5 injections in 2 weeks as a loading dose. Now I don't need to have them.
B12 can be a problems for vegetarians and vegans I've heard as it can mostly be in meat eaters diets. Marmite has B12 and is veggie but Bovril isn't veggie.
Hope you get it sorted.

I am not a vegetarian nor vegan so I thought that was strange. I love marmite smile I have it at least 4 times a week. Thank you so much, I hope so too. Just waiting on that referral letter now. I am taking supplements of vit d and b12 every day to try and bring up my energy in case that's what's causing it.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 29-Apr-21 08:31:29

You are doing all the right things, whilst it’s good to check your Pooh, a couple of days would be enough.
You have found what seems to be the main problem, so now you need to stop stressing, stress can cause many problems too.
Take the meds for the Vitamin deficiency and I’m sure you will soon start to feel better.
There are plenty of self help videos on YouTube to help with destressing, it might be an idea to start listening to some of them when you have some quiet time with your little boy.
Hope you get better soon.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 29-Apr-21 08:34:11

Sorry pressed too soon, a major Stomach bug can upset your gut, try to get some gut friendly yogurts or go to a Health food shop they can advise something that will re balance the flora.
As to the Colonoscopy that you may or may not have to have, that is a doddle and no need to worry, they usually tell you the results straight away too.

Santana Thu 29-Apr-21 08:54:07

It sounds as if you are a single mum, so natural to feel anxious when you are poorly, so not surprised that you had a panic attack.
Your GP has checked everything and referred you to the hospital, so on the ball. Picking up the vit B deficiency is good and you are on your way bringing levels up, but perhaps it takes time for your body to reset.
Your tummy bug was horrendous and was hard to clear, so again not surprised that your nutrient levels are a bit down.
If you are prone to IBS, then this is bound to flare after a bug.
I have a daughter who is a single mum and also has all kinds of tummy troubles.
I don't want to give you duff advice, so will just send you a hug, and hope the hospital are able to sort you out and put your mind at rest.

Roses Thu 29-Apr-21 09:00:50

Just sending you a hand hold and to let you know that people care

It's very worrying when there is unexpected weight loss but it's good that all your tests are negative, as already suggested probiotics are a good idea .

Having a colonoscopy should put your mind at rest and it's not as bad as you think and soon over

Come back and share the results with us and take care of yourself

Madwoman11 Thu 29-Apr-21 09:13:35

It's no wonder you are stressed and anxious. I have had similar to you and it was caused by severe acid reflux which lead to an ulcer hence the dark poo - blood. I had the same symptoms as you.
I'm not an expert though, but while you are waiting for further treat your tummy very gently. No alcohol or smoking. Nothing with wheat in it (check labels carefully) for 8 weeks, and just small meals. Don't eat anything for 4 hours before bedtime. Try some anti acids (ask you GP) and take a big glug of Gaviscon before you go to bed. Have some organic yogurt each day. Try things to deal with stress such as medication.
It's worth a try but the gut takes time to heal. Only medical experts can give you a diagnosis though. All the very best I'm sure you will soon be back to yourself.

Itsawelshthing Thu 29-Apr-21 10:52:32

Hi everyone thank you all so much for your replies so far I really, really appreciate it so much. I am married but I don't like to talk to him too much about my issues because it upsets him. He gets very upset which I understand so I try not to do it. I can be very irrational sometimes but that's only because I am scared.
The GP actually said that I may have an ulcer, she said she's not referring me because she thinks I have cancer, she's doing it because there's something else that's less sinister which makes me think this referral is not 2weeks. Did you also have weight loss @madwoman11? It definitely burns up my throat, ears, and my stomach area. I am on probiotics at the mo to try and sort my gut out.. Completely ruined. I kept wondering post IBS but weight loss is not associated with that. X

Dee1012 Thu 29-Apr-21 11:22:53

You really are going through the mill aren't you? I think when anything like this is going on you are bound to feel worried and anxious but you've done exactly the right thing by speaking with your G.P.
While I'd never presume to give anyone medical advise, I can share that some years ago my son was experiencing lots of stomach problems and various tests all came back negative. Eventually he was seen by a consultant who tested him for coeliac disease again...previous blood tests had been negative. After some further tests, a firm diagnosis was given but all in all it took 6-9 months before this happened.
The advice given by Madwoman11 is really good. Take care

Tizliz Thu 29-Apr-21 11:27:22

My dentist recommended vit b when I had to take a course of strong antibiotics and I think I must have been deficient as they made me feel so much better. If this is your problem they will work quickly.

Itsawelshthing Fri 30-Apr-21 21:26:45

I called the surgery this morning regarding my referral letter which I've not received yet. She left a note for the gp to call back, which she did and she said that I am on the waiting list! I'm not under the 2 week pathway as she said it doesn't warrant it. I said but I'm losing a significant amount of weight and if what I've got is sinister then it will be too late, but apparently I don't meet the criteria due to my age and my other tests are clear.. I am absolutely devastated and fuming! Looks like I may have to pay privately at a private hospital for both procedures which will cost me just over 3k. sad

B9exchange Sat 01-May-21 00:13:21

You poor thing, I do think you might be over thinking this. GPs refer under the two week wait if they think you might have the slightest chance of cancer. As your GP has said there is no need for that, then that means she is as sure as she can be that you do not have cancer. You have had the tests that would have revealed it and they did not. So please put that thought aside. You are looking at something else, and we cannot help you with guessing diagnoses, but work with your doctor to find out what it is and the correct treatment fir it. Often you only find out what is wrong by ruling other things out.

I know it must be hugely frustrating for you, and I am completely sympathetic, but in a few months time you should have your answer and be on the road to recovery

It is very good news that your appetite has come back, so plan meals you enjoy. Treat yourself, buy some flattering clothes, and enjoy playing with your little boy, they grow up so fast, try to create memories with him. Keep us posted? flowers

Itsawelshthing Sat 01-May-21 08:15:30

B9exchange

You poor thing, I do think you might be over thinking this. GPs refer under the two week wait if they think you might have the slightest chance of cancer. As your GP has said there is no need for that, then that means she is as sure as she can be that you do not have cancer. You have had the tests that would have revealed it and they did not. So please put that thought aside. You are looking at something else, and we cannot help you with guessing diagnoses, but work with your doctor to find out what it is and the correct treatment fir it. Often you only find out what is wrong by ruling other things out.

I know it must be hugely frustrating for you, and I am completely sympathetic, but in a few months time you should have your answer and be on the road to recovery

It is very good news that your appetite has come back, so plan meals you enjoy. Treat yourself, buy some flattering clothes, and enjoy playing with your little boy, they grow up so fast, try to create memories with him. Keep us posted? flowers

It's the weight loss that I'm getting worried about and abdominal pains sad I just come on my period so maybe that's what it is but I've been getting it before that. I don't know what else I can do to stop losing weight I'm eating so much food and drinking my husband's protein shakes in between meals to try and maintain or at least gain weight but nothing is working. We're all going out for the day so that is memories I guess.. I am just overwhelmed by it all. I've never been this ill or felt this ill before I just know something is off. sad

Whiff Sat 01-May-21 10:28:52

Itsawelshthing I don't have your symptoms. But I do know what it's like to be very ill from a young age. I went to bed at healthy 29 year old mom of a 4 year old and 6 month old baby. Woke up not being able to control my limbs. I was terrified as you are. And understand very well the need for help and knowing what is wrong with you. This happened to me in 1988. I to know the feeling of test after test coming back negative but still being so ill. Luckily my late husband was brilliant and said we would life our lives to suit what you can do and lead a normal family life. Which meant me going out in a wheelchair chair so we could go out as a family.

You say you don't talk to you husband as it upsets him. But you must. He needs to support you and you both need to talk about your fears. It's the only way you will get through this. You married in sickness in health. To me and my husband they meant something. I think they do to you both as well . Getting ill at a young age isn't easy as you don't expect it until you are a lot older. Your mind always goes to the worst diagnosis. Also because of your age you can get medical staff being dismissive of your worries. One nurse told me "don't know what all the fuss is about you have post natal depression" . Which I didn't. ( I ended up in hospital for 3 weeks in 1988. Wasn't allowed to see our children because of their ages. No mobile phones with pics and videos . It was hell)

Luckily my GP never gave up on me.
Had all the neurological tests available. Been to all the best hospitals. I had drugs to mange the symptoms. I started to have seizures.

After suffering constant pain in my left arm and leg , seizures and memories lost . I am still here it's been 33 years. I moved house 100 miles to live in the north west and under a new neurologist . Finally after 32 years of seizures he gave me 2 little tablets and hadn't had a seizure in a year. He has other patients like me who can't be labelled. My symptoms are like a lot of different neurological disorders. He says my brain and body aren't in sync. Why am I telling you all this is because you may never know the cause of your illness but you can live a full life just not the life you expected to live. My darling husband died 17 years ago from cancer at the age of 47.

None of us knows what the future holds we have to live our lives the best way we can. And health problems even though are horrible to live with you can live with them I have learnt the hard way . I expected to die before my husband and it was a shock that he died first.

I have new health problems recurring UTIs and kidney infections since September. On the list to speak to an urologist. But because of Covid there is a backlog. I am not too thinking I have cancer as I wouldn't be so well in between attacks. Just finished my 13th course if antibiotics.

I know it's hard and your are frightened but don't give in . Your body is playing up but fight back be as postive as you can you have family who need you. They need to support you . Without my family I wouldn't still be here. You have to fight every day. You are young and stronger than you think you just need to believe in yourself.

You can get through this. And when you do get a diagnose no matter what it is you continue to fight. There have been times over the last 33 years I wanted to give up but you can't.

My husband made me promise to live the best life I can and I do. It's hard but still fight on. You can to .

Itsawelshthing Wed 05-May-21 17:24:15

Oh goodness Whiff, what an absolute ordeal you've been through! I'm sorry you are still going through such a rough time. It's horrible isn't it when you are feeling like rubbish 24/7 and no sign of getting any better. I am fighting through this as hard as I can and tbh if the news does end up being that I have something bad, I will fight that too. I've wasted my life being anxious and worrying constantly and now I genuinely have something to worry about, I wish I hadn't of bothered. Will see what's what but I am trying to prepare myself. X

Itsawelshthing Thu 13-May-21 12:42:24

Just a quick update my referral has come and I'm waiting for them to contact me. I may give them a call because I really don't want to wait any longer. I'm still not feeling well and now lost my appetite which isn't helping with my weight! I need to gain it not lose anymore.

Itsawelshthing Thu 13-May-21 19:00:51

Appt next week for a CT scan. Was shaking when I got that letter. I am getting really scared now and fearing the worse... Phew, can't change whatever the outcome is though so I have to remain positive and just hope that IF it is serious, that it has been caught on time and it is treatable/curable.

ElaineI Thu 13-May-21 20:15:58

Good luck with the scan x

Whiff Fri 14-May-21 06:38:02

Good news about your CT scan next week Itsawelshthing. Have you ever had one before? I have had several. They may injection you with a contrast dye. It's been years since I had one but I will tell you my experience. It doesn't hurt but it made feel like I was burning for a few seconds and how can I put this it made my anus tingle . And afterwards my wee was bright yellow.

Not saying you will have the dye or its the same as I had nearly 4 years ago. But thought I would tell you just in case.

At least having the scan will show what is wrong. If it's not clear enough they may want to do a MRI which is a more in depth scan using magmatism. That doesn't hurt but is very noisy but you are gives head phones. You lie on the table and it moves you into a tube. The table moves as it does the scan. I don't like enclosed spaces so I have to stay perfectly still and control my breathing to get through it. They talk to you so that helps. How long it takes depends on where they want to scan.

Not saying you will have one but I always like to know what to expect from tests so I research everything and talk to people who have had these things done. That way I am not surprised or frightened.

I hope you have a diagnosis soon and treatment.

Itsawelshthing Tue 18-May-21 08:43:30

Thank you everyone. I am OK about it now I am keeping busy with decorating and sorting the house out. I just hope that there's nothing sinister and something that is curable or at least, treatable. I do get panic attacks about what they'll find out but I have to do it because no matter what I think, the problem will not go away. X

Franbern Tue 18-May-21 09:55:47

Not trying to downplay your concerns, but you do sound very much like you have a bad bout of hypochondria. Now, this is a horrible condition in itself, but may be better treated with something like CBT than scans, etc.
With all your tests coming back clear, this seems to be the only reason you are getting yourself into such a state of anxiety.
Your weight loss obviously started when you went through a bad bout of D&V - a bug you picked up from your young son. Then is being continued by your own anxiety.
Do you have a job?
Perhaps you need to talk to your GP about your anxiety and see what referrals for that can be made.

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 18-May-21 10:10:43

I don’t know you....but I would guess you had a severe dose of gastroenteritis. This can last several weeks. I had it when I was 12. I lost two stone! My uniform didn’t fit me whenI went back to school!
I’ve also nursed people with it. It’s debilitating, and many nutrients are lost through the vomit and diarrhoea. Hence the need to replace them.
Now...it sounds like you’re anxious ( understandably). This will give rise to similar feelings of nausea/ sickness. The panic attack is as a result of this.
Please try to relax. Nothing serious has been found in your tests. You will take a while to put the weight back on. Just take each day as it comes. You’re a young woman who had a nasty bug. It happens.
Focus on your son, and don’t try to rush it.
Take care ?

PurpleStar Tue 18-May-21 10:52:55

Itsawelshthing,I hope you are feeling a little more settled after a horrible time for you.I have terrible IBS,and have had several ulcers at quite a youngish age.Your gastro bug sounds horrendous and has possibly upset your hole digestive system.My bowels can often be yellow,or just bile too.Ive tried to find out what foods are the worst offenders.I can't eat most cereals now and too much milk gives me issues too.When I had all my tests I'd hoped they would find something that could be treated and make it stop..but they found nothing apart from non cancerous Polyps and Diverticulitis.Also worrying,being stressed makes it all so much worse,I'm not kidding and I know how worrying is hard to stop,but you need to find something that calms you.Music,a walk,yoga,art just something that distracts you.Stress makes your heart pound and speeds up the metabolism.U used to have to dash to the bathroom up to 30 times a day! I have alot of Arthritis and skin issues and fortunately my Rheumatologist has been the most sympathetic and put me on a medication that helps my joints but has helped my IBS massively.I hope you get some answers and help.I also saw a dietician,and kept food diaries that helped see if any patterns came to light.It is an awful,embarrassing and mostly Taboo subject for people to talk about but I really empathise with you.Take care and keep us posted flowers

PurpleStar Tue 18-May-21 10:54:45

Excuse typos! That "U" should be "I" tutt x