Gransnet forums

Health

Vitamin D3

(38 Posts)
PinkCosmos Thu 29-Apr-21 11:05:33

Just wanted some of your feedback on taking Vitamin D3. There is an old thread from 2019 but thought I would start a new one.

I started taking Vitamin D3 (25ug) about six months ago as I heard they were good for your immune system. I was hoping it might give me some protection from Covid.

I have been taking the Vitabiotics brand which I bought at the supermarket.

I have to say that recently I have noticed that my mood has improved and I don't have so many aches and pains.

Just to give a bigger picture, I am 63 and am currently working full time but from home. I am ashamed to say that I do barely any exercise and need to lose weight. I am not on any medication.

I am not one for taking supplements as a rule and I sometimes forget to take them.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had a good result from taking Vitamin D3 or is this all in my mind?

Marydoll Thu 03-Jun-21 15:24:28

My dose is an emergency dose, which is often used by endocrinologist for people who have dangerouslylow levels, if you are referring to me growstuff.

Callistemon Thu 03-Jun-21 15:26:06

I understood your post Marydoll:

However, I do believe it should be taken under supervision, as overdosing on it can be dangerous. Only a blood test can determine your levels.

Marydoll Thu 03-Jun-21 15:26:17

It will be monitored again in a few weeks and investigated if my levels don't rise. Thank goodness my consultant is on the ball!

LuckyDuck Thu 03-Jun-21 15:30:54

@Shinamae Have these helped you?, what are the health benefits please of this combination.

Esspee Thu 03-Jun-21 15:48:05

Now that summer has arrived getting out and allowing sunshine on our skin without sunscreen allows our bodies to make vit D naturally.
If you are housebound and can’t even sit in a sunny doorway then supplementation is required.
Natures way is normally best to my thinking.

Kali2 Thu 03-Jun-21 15:51:31

I took it this winter, but have stopped now as I am in the sun as soon as it comes out, gardening, sitting on the swing or walking in woods and Dales. For most people, natural sun is plenty enough.

Marydoll Thu 03-Jun-21 15:54:23

Of course it is, for most people, Espee However, I have previously posted this comment my consultant made to me:
If you were to lie naked in the sun for a year in Dubai, it would make any difference at all, Mrs MDoll. ? Not a pretty sight, I can asure you!

Megs36 Thu 03-Jun-21 16:04:08

My husband and daughter in law got Vit D from ?NHS free , both extremely vulnerable, but not sure if that was general in UK.

Marydoll Thu 03-Jun-21 16:10:08

Anyone in the UK deemed extremely, clinically vulnerable was offered free Vit D supplements.

mokryna Fri 04-Jun-21 12:14:44

In France it is given free, I am 71, I usually have it prescribed twice a year but since covid once a month.

growstuff Fri 04-Jun-21 12:32:28

Marydoll

My dose is an emergency dose, which is often used by endocrinologist for people who have dangerouslylow levels, if you are referring to me growstuff.

No, I wasn't. I know that initial large doses are given when there is severe deficiency. It was a reply to a post before yours.

Taking large doses of Vitamin D3 over a long period can lead to problems.

Sorry for the confusion.

Marydoll Fri 04-Jun-21 12:37:11

?